U2: The Worst of 1980-2002

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SkeeK said:
I think they should release a compilation, don't you?

I think it would be neat, especially for me because I enjoy all U2's songs. Here's what I think it might have (I think we should exclude B-Sides):

Playboy Mansion
Miami
Red Light
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Refugee
Elvis Presley and America
4th of July
Peace On Earth
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Trip Through Your Wires
Discotheque
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
The Wanderer
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Is That All?
Love is Blindness
Grace

I demand that Love Is Blindness be taken off that list. Who cares what some other site's poll says. Love Is Blindness kicks ass.

I'd also have to contest WGRYWH, Peace On Earth and Grace, but yeah, I can at least see that there's a good number of people who don't like them. This is the first time I've heard of more than a couple people not liking Love Is Blindness, though. :D

Red Light
Surrender
Trip Through Your Wires
Helter Skelter (it qualifies 'cause it was on an album)
When Love Comes To Town (Bono sounds sooooooo white singing next to B.B. King...the band should have just let him have the song)
Zooropa
Discotheque
Miami
Wake Up Dead Man
Peace On Earth
Grace

AcrobatMan said:

3) van damien island

Wow. For a second there I thought you were going to say that "Van Diemen's Land" belonged on U2's worst-of compilation. A good thing you didn't, because if you did I would have been forced to destroy you.

Re: Re: U2: The Worst of 1980-2002

Diemen said:
This is the first time I've heard of more than a couple people not liking Love Is Blindness, though. :D

It took me a back, too. I thought it was a venerable classic more than a whipping boy. I just put it there because thinking that some people think it's "really boring" just makes me realize how great it is!

Here are my choices, or some. I'm going to try to pick at least one off each album--even if that doesn't make sense, to try and be somewhat impartial--but after that the sky's the limit. I think most of these are songs I have a lowish opinion of, anyway.

Shadows and Tall Trees
With a Shout
The Refugee
4th of July
In God's Country
Love Rescue Me
I Still Haven't Found gospel version
When Love Comes to Town
Trying to Throw Your Arms
Numb (works as performance art, but to listen to it alone? no thanks.)
The First Time
Daddy's Gonna Pay
Babyface
The Wanderer
Discotheque
Mofo
Playboy Mansion
Miami
Peace on Earth

Ok, so that wasn't that impartial (a bit weighted toward two albums) and there are also several songs on there that I like a lot...oh well.

Last edited:
The First Time?!?!

The First Time?!?!?!?!

THE FIRST TIME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Gaaah - how could - ?? - I don't even - !!- Gaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

*faints*

:D

Walk On
One
Streets
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stay

Er...
Alright... just trying to be funny.
I know that's not funny at all.

:scream:

Diemen said:
The First Time?!?!

The First Time?!?!?!?!

THE FIRST TIME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Gaaah - how could - ?? - I don't even - !!- Gaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

*faints*

I know, I know. I knew that would get such a reaction. I actually find the lyrics for that song interesting. But the music, to me, is a pale rehash of AIWIY. And the production sounds flat and Bono's voice sounds weak, which is a criticism I would level at much of Zooropa. The only thing I particularly like about the music is that big wash of keyboards right at the end...that's kind of cool. But it doesn't redeem the song for me.

The Ocean
Another Time Another Place
With A Shout
Is That All?
Refugee
Elvis Presley And America
Love Rescue Me
The Wanderer
Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is a weak song??? BAH!

It's a beautifully melancholy song, with one of Edge's best rhythm guitar parts ever, and one of Bono's most longing vocals.

Now onto my list:

The Ocean (not much on its own)
Rejoice (blah)
With a Shout (blah again)
Scarlet (man, I really dislike October, who knew? ;))
Is That All? ( I don't even like talking about that one)
Red Light (those girls singing...)
Elvis Presley and America (come on, even Bono says it's "spew")
Helter Skelter (ewww....)
Love Rescue Me (one of the few U2 songs that bores me)
When Love Comes to Town (God dammit, Bono, you're white, accept it!)
Numb (It's hard to listen to, despite it's sonic adventurousness)
Miami (the only song from POP I skip)

Of the dozens and dozens of songs U2's done, I suppose it's damn good there are only about a dozen I don't really like, and most are from when they were still a very raw group.

Hehe, this is a bad, bad thread.....I like that.

Miami
Playboy Mansion
Love Is Blindness
Zoo Station
So Cruel
Love Rescue Me
Refugee (in fact, all from WAR except 40, SBS & New Year's Day)
Exit
Trip Through Your Wires
When I Look at the World
Is That All?
Ocean

(Plus all of the live tracks on R&H except Helter Skelter & Bullet)

The temple bar version of "Whose gonna ride..." is better than the album but there are many many songs that are worse.....

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I was thinking the same thing!!!!

And what is with all these TTYW haters?!?!?!?! I :heart: that song! It's really fun, boo on you who don't like it. :p

Well, boo on me then. :D I can listen to it every now and then, but I think it's a little cheesy musically - U2 trying too hard to play the blues, rather than U2 taking blues and melting it into their own style. IMO there were much better songs in the wings that could've/should've replaced it (Luminous Times, Walk To The Water, Spanish Eyes...).

Saracene said:

Sacrilege, blasphemy :no:

Do you have any idea how much it hurts me to see So Cruel in a worst songs list? :scream:

Okay, I?ll calm down.
SkeeK dear, I realised I?m unable to create a worst songs album. Mine would be a single. With Red Light :D
Without b-sides ;)

i cannot believe i'm seeing "Trying to throw your arms..."....what is up with that? okay, perhaps there are "stronger" songs on the AB album, but regardless, it's an awesome song imo. someone, please, explain to me why it's such a "weak" and "terrible" song?

Worst? I'll say these are songs that aren't necessarily the "worse", but the ones to which I seldom listen.

1)Some Days Are Better Than Others
2)Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
3)One Tree Hill
4)Love Rescue Me
5)The Sweetest Thing

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
This thread makes my brain hurt...I mean, how could you not like...gah. nevermind.

lol...it never ends, does it?

Back
Top Bottom