U2: The "tugging at the heart strings" era?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
I love him on Ground, NY, Kite & New York, adore him on In A Little While

Sorry... had to show some people that the "usual suspects" don't always just come here to bash. For some reason the positive points made don't get enough recognition around here. :rolleyes:

I guess only positive threads or appreciation threads are allowed. You're not allowed to criticize the band no matter how well thought out your response is.

They need to lock themselfs up again in a studio in a strange country.

Bono needs to stop doing all the charity work for a while and just fully concentrate on writing songs etc etc.

I think he is just way to busy with other stuff sometimes.

Bono's shades said:

Tomorrow is about the death of Bono's mother. And it's pretty direct. My heart was certainly pierced the first time I heard it. Music almost never makes me cry, but I definitely started to tear up.
I never mentioned Tomorrow in my post...:scratch:

This comes from the perspective of someone who did not follow U2 in the 80s and 90s, and had to go back to find out what they were about.

Plus side: their musicianship and production values are better now than in the 80s and 90s, for the most part. Songs like New York, Walk On, Beautiful Day, In a Little While, Vertigo, COBL do not waste a moment. They are well-written and crisply played.

Minus side: both albums have some real clunkers, Yahweh and Wild Honey among them. Some of the other material on both is meh, nothing I need to hear again, like Miracle Drug, A Man and a Woman, One Step Closer. Neither album is consistent from start to finish.

You can see this same pattern in the two singles: I count Saints in the plus group, Windows and One in the second.

But to take this analogy further, it's a hazard that many artists face: the blast of creativity at the beginning, the searching period, the period that you live after that . Look at Martin Scorcese: everyone praises his early passionate films which established his reputation. He hit some speed bumps from the mid-90s to mid-00 when he got self-indulgent and strayed too far from his core. Now with The Departed, he's back to the semblance of his good game.

I don't care how bad a spin people put on this era, to me they are still making DAMN good music, still putting on kick-ass shows, so I am not complaining whatsoever.

Aygo said:
I never mentioned Tomorrow in my post...:scratch:

The point I was trying to make is U2 didn't just start writing personal, heart-tugging songs during the current decade. They started doing it a long time ago.

As for another example, how about Drowning Man?

Zootlesque said:

Yeah.. Bono seems to have gotten much more involved with Africa this decade.

Are you talking about new music in general or only U2? Because I don't get that "manufactured" feeling with other bands I'm listening to at the moment like Pearl Jam, Oasis, Snow Patrol, Muse, Keane, The Killers etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by manufactured. To me, manufactured music comes from the record company put together boy & girl bands, not bands like the ones you have mentioned above.

neilm said:

I'm not sure what you mean by manufactured. To me, manufactured music comes from the record company put together boy & girl bands, not bands like the ones you have mentioned above.

Yes, that's why I didn't really want to use the term originally because it's what most people connect it to - boy bands etc. I mean manufactured in the sense of how the songs are coming about in the studio. I think a better term for what I mean is that the songs (many anyway) sound more constructed than created now.

Earnie Shavers said:
I think a better term for what I mean is that the songs (many anyway) sound more constructed than created now.

Yeah that's what I meant too. Of course, the situation is not as BAD as the boy bands. But some of the songs on the Bomb almost sound like cut and paste jobs.

<Ctrl C> 80s sounding guitar

<Ctrl V> Sometimes bridge

disclaimer: only opinion which doesn't mean anything.

in addition to motivating me to objectively deliberate the back and forth of U2's work of the years inside this old noggin of mine, this thread has maintained a breath of fresh air about it - which is very rare...and effective.

The crux of the problem I've got with their efforts in the naughties is somewhat touched upon earlier in this thread - I very much so like the output post 2000, but for some befuddled reason cannot revere it.

I'm laughing because the delicate answer's just bit me - to the point where I'd be better off plagiarizing:

"you can reach, but you can't grab it"

* you being 'they'

For me, at least, the missing ingredient in that magic U2 elixir, is intelligence.

The wit, depth, observation, irony, metaphor, content, reference, vocabulary and vagueness of yester'years work quite frankly also managed to assauge my vanity on an intellectual level.

Today's material is damn good but unfortunately lacking in leaving me feeling intelligent. I'm not wanting for anybody who does not like the new U2 - as in, whoever's listened to AND not liked their recent material, has probably heard and understood exactly what I have and thinks otherwise. I don't have that defense mechanism of "they just don't get it" anymore.

As of writing this I'm left wondering that perhaps now it might be me that does not get it because of the rife bias I have in favor of my beloved band?

Today's U2 probably reaches me at a more emotional level, but also leaves me intellectually unsatisfied.

That's the only objective difference for me.

to wrap this up, there's nothing on the last two albums I can plagiarize.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think the bigger problem of the 00's is actually Larry and not Bono. Larry's the one nixing songs like Native Son, Mercy, etc for more "pop" songs.
I don't think it's Larry's fault at all. If the original version of SYCMIOYO is representative of how the album was going to sound pre-Lillywhite, then Larry did the rest of the band one of the biggest favours of their careers.

I think the general state of U2 right now is lack of inspiration.

Bono's lyrics do seem last-minute and rushed, and it's been discussed earlier in the thread already. He's lost his ability to write with any sense of eloquence.

Edge has settled into a guitar comfort zone and no longer puts out anything challenging. I think the best thing Edge could do right now is PRODUCE a U2 album. He's got a fantastic ear for arrangements and he's also been exploring other avenues like keyboards.

Edge + Eno to assist and guide him producing would make for an interesting album

I do agree that u2 have lost a lot of their mystery lyrics and their whispery secrets (sorry dont know how to really explain what i mean haha)

but im guess its because they're soooooo grown up. Middle forties, teenage kids, parents dying - it changes their mindset how they see the world. They're no longer hungry and angry, there comfortable and introspective. I am happy with both eras, i admit HTDAAB is not one of my favourite albums, and the songs are very samey, but ATYCLB which is of a similar vein, i fucking adore.

Maybe thats what happens when you get older, the needed to prove yourself goes away and the comfortable sandal wearing days are upon you.

Though i would be well happy to here some SCORCHING guitar work from The Edge....VERY happy :drool:

I agree with what you say. Just on Sometimes though, I think the original version could have developed a little more into something quite good. Not a single, but a good 'quiter' song that sits in that position on the album that songs like Tryin' to Throw, Velvet Dress & One Step Closer hold. A little of what it has now, a little of what that original version has, buzz it through the Stateless machine and I think it would/could have been great. And other original versions - personally I far prefer Native Son over Vertigo. Hit single? No. Better complete song? IMO yes. That riff is just cool in Vertigo, but in Native Son it makes sense. It's actually part of the song, not just the hook to catch you. And I also prefer Xanax to Fast Cars. I like the cool Eastern thing on Fast Cars, but the original Xanax is more of a thumper to me - better chorus as well. I don't know the last time I deliberately clicked on Vertigo, but I listen to Native Son all the time. Adore Xanax. Probably one of my 5 favourites of this decade.

I was thinking about what's missing from U2 these days...and it hit me. It's the "unexplainable transcendent emotional response". I mean, we can go on and on all day about what's wrong with U2. We can fully dissect them, analyzing all the technicalities that go into their music, like lyrics and riffs and melodies and all that stuff. But what about the emotional response? Forget technicalities. I'm not gonna say U2 sux now because of their lyrics. If that was the case, then I shouldn't like BOY or OCTOBER. No...I always liked U2 for the emotions they trigger. If Bono wrote great lyrics as well, then that was a great bonus.

I've reduced it all to this: whatever emotional release U2 gave me in the past has pretty much vanished. Actually, the only U2 moment in the past couple years that has given me that transcendant feeling, is the middle section of WINDOW. Not the whole song...just that moment up til after "i got no shame". In that brief musical detour, I'm reminded of past U2 glory. And the fact that it's their newest song gives me a little hope. (now if only they can write choruses that don't get old after 3 listens).

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
I don't think it's Larry's fault at all. If the original version of SYCMIOYO is representative of how the album was going to sound pre-Lillywhite, then Larry did the rest of the band one of the biggest favours of their careers.

I think the general state of U2 right now is lack of inspiration.

Bono's lyrics do seem last-minute and rushed, and it's been discussed earlier in the thread already. He's lost his ability to write with any sense of eloquence.

Edge has settled into a guitar comfort zone and no longer puts out anything challenging. I think the best thing Edge could do right now is PRODUCE a U2 album. He's got a fantastic ear for arrangements and he's also been exploring other avenues like keyboards.

Edge + Eno to assist and guide him producing would make for an interesting album.

Larry is the devil - he stopped Bomb 2003 and blackmailed U2 into touring with that album "with enough hits". (even though Adam voted no too and he was actually the U2 member that explicitely talked about wanting more hits on the new, post ATYCLB album)

The only thing I miss from the Bomb outtakes is the ABOY alternate lyric. Aside from that nothing beats the album versions on those songs for me.
I think instead of bringing in Flood, Jacknife Lee (those two hurt the album IMO), Lanois etc etc what they should have done in April 2004 was let Lillywhite produce and mix ALL the songs on his own. One producer, one mixer - like they usually do it.

As for song being more structured - that's normal as U2 got better at music making obviously over the years. Listen to the first four albums, then JT - it's clear they got better at shaping the songs they wanted to make.

I agree they need inspiration and that Bono is the weakest link on the last two albums; and also stay away from Eno/Lanois and Lillywhite for a while as I don't think they got a JT/AB/UF/War in them anymore. (that said I'd like to see a Lanois solo production on U2 some day)

So in that sense I like that they went in with a new producer with Rubin (assuming another "Thomas" disaster won't happen). I'm ok with WITS pop sound as long as it will lead to a great pop album ie taking on the Beatles at their own game in their own studio.
Otherwise personally I'd prefer sounds in the vein of Mercy/MDH soundtrack U2 songs/402, that or the "rifforama" rock songs they left off Bomb.

I don't think they'd be interested in producing themselves (or if Edge wants to produce on his own). I think they like having a second opinion from a producer on their music. Imagine the time it would take for them to make a consensus on production.

U2girl said:
I'm ok with WITS pop sound as long as it will lead to a great pop album ie taking on the Beatles at their own game in their own studio.
Otherwise personally I'd prefer sounds in the vein of Mercy/MDH soundtrack U2 songs/402, that or the "rifforama" rock songs they left off Bomb.

Wow, I agree completely. I have to say I'm not as disappointed by WITS as I am by certain songs on ATYCLB & HTDAAB. I think it's the whole thing of not coming off as trying too hard. Despite some questionable lyrics like "soul in a strip tease" & cliched "hate brought to it's knees", I like the song overall. And the video has only helped. I think part of the reason is because Bono's vocal delivery sounds pretty natural compared to say, Vertigo.

And come to think of it, apart from the "loss of loved one" feel that comes out of most of the recent material, there is no mystery, no layers to any of these songs. For example: Consider the last 4 songs on Pop. Starting from the ending of Playboy Mansion merging beautifully into Velvet Dress, a song that's so un-U2 yet perfect. It's so understated, so gorgeous. They don't come off as trying too hard at all. I believe that if it takes repeated listens to get into all the layers in a song, THAT is a good song. A lot of work has gone into it! Same with Wake Up Dead Man! I didn't even know about the "listen to the.." verses until maybe a couple of years ago. Cos I couldn't hear them. So many layers to that song too! And Please... fantastic lyrics esp. the "september streets capsizing" part. And I'm surprised that Peace On Earth doesn't get enough recognition on this forum. It has the same understated quality of many of the songs off of Pop. U2 and Bono sound so natural in that song. Love it! You see what I'm saying? That's why I don't like it when they sound like they're trying too hard with lots of "whoooooooooo hoooooooooooooos and yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahs".

Oh yeah.. also I'll never understand why LAPOE gets more appreciation in this forum than POE. LAPOE has terrible cliched lyrics, a solo that sounds like 2 notes repeating over and over again with added effects and a pseudo Achtung Baby dark feel. POE sounds so much more natural. Bono's vocals are great. The lyrics are so much better despite the cliche song title. The music is lovely.

Zootlesque said:
Oh yeah.. also I'll never understand why LAPOE gets more appreciation in this forum than POE. LAPOE has terrible cliched lyrics, a solo that sounds like 2 notes repeating over and over again with added effects and a pseudo Achtung Baby dark feel. POE sounds so much more natural. Bono's vocals are great. The lyrics are so much better despite the cliche song title. The music is lovely.

qft.

Zootlesque said:

Wow, I agree completely. I have to say I'm not as disappointed by WITS as I am by certain songs on ATYCLB & HTDAAB. I think it's the whole thing of not coming off as trying too hard. Despite some questionable lyrics like "soul in a strip tease" & cliched "hate brought to it's knees", I like the song overall. And the video has only helped. I think part of the reason is because Bono's vocal delivery sounds pretty natural compared to say, Vertigo.

And come to think of it, apart from the "loss of loved one" feel that comes out of most of the recent material, there is no mystery, no layers to any of these songs. For example: Consider the last 4 songs on Pop. Starting from the ending of Playboy Mansion merging beautifully into Velvet Dress, a song that's so un-U2 yet perfect. It's so understated, so gorgeous. They don't come off as trying too hard at all. I believe that if it takes repeated listens to get into all the layers in a song, THAT is a good song. A lot of work has gone into it! Same with Wake Up Dead Man! I didn't even know about the "listen to the.." verses until maybe a couple of years ago. Cos I couldn't hear them. So many layers to that song too! And Please... fantastic lyrics esp. the "september streets capsizing" part. And I'm surprised that Peace On Earth doesn't get enough recognition on this forum. It has the same understated quality of many of the songs off of Pop. U2 and Bono sound so natural in that song. Love it! You see what I'm saying? That's why I don't like it when they sound like they're trying too hard with lots of "whoooooooooo hoooooooooooooos and yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahs".

I second the wow.

As for ATYCLB and Bomb I feel sometimes the "u2 sound" works (Walk on, Kite, COBL) and sometimes less so (MD, Yahweh). My favourite songs Edge-wise on Bomb are LAPOE, Vertigo and ABOY. (OOTS)

I like the video for the song - the idea, but I wouldn't call it their best ever. I think maybe Bono needs to learn to work with the new found voice, compare this to his vocals on UF and later on JT.

I like Please and IFYWTVD but Dead man (drop all the sounds and strip it to drums, bass, vocals) never did anything for me. I feel Please would make for a much better closer.

POE like the lyrics and delivery but I think the Christmassy music completely mismatches them. I think Edge should be making more angry/sad guitar sounds to a lyric like that. Contrast that to the similar theme in WILATW and how his guitar works there to complement the lyrics.

LAPOE I love Edge's riff on this one, it doesn't sound like anything he's done before, and the Zoorop-y intro and the overall sound is great. It could benefit from a less hippy/cliche chorus and the repetitive lines in the end though.

:shrug: I don't mind a "yeah yeah" or "woo hoo" in rock songs. I think more than trying this and that it's a case of "this is the sound we kept coming up with in the studio so that gets on the album". You know?

Last edited:
Jesus, can you take the time to throw a drowning man a line
Peace on earth
To tell the ones who hear no sound who's sons are living in the ground
Peace on earth

Vs.

I don't know if I can take it
I'm not easy on my knees
Here's my heart, I'll let you break it
We need some release release release release
We need love and peace, love and peace

:hmm:

heart/knees/peace/love etc... too cliched. I do like the "release" part of it where it explodes into the chorus but overall prefer POE's lyrics hands down.

But still, I guess I can kinda see now how people would go one way or the other. :hmm:

Fair enough.

On a slightly unrelated note, I think Crumbs is probably my favorite song on the Bomb. COBL is good too but I'm not thaaat fond of the "oh you look so beautiful tonight" line.

Zootlesque said:
Fair enough.

On a slightly unrelated note, I think Crumbs is probably my favorite song on the Bomb. COBL is good too but I'm not thaaat fond of the "oh you look so beautiful tonight" line.

oots is your favourite song on bomb :shame:

Zootlesque said:

Yeah.. Bono seems to have gotten much more involved with Africa this decade.

Are you talking about new music in general or only U2? Because I don't get that "manufactured" feeling with other bands I'm listening to at the moment like Pearl Jam, Oasis, Snow Patrol, Muse, Keane, The Killers etc.

I do. :|

Back
Top Bottom