u2 = the Rolling Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Garrison

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
it just occoured to me, that u2 have now become the equivalent of the Rolling Stones like 10 years ago. Remember the bridges to babylon tour, where they put all of their money inot the production and stage setup and nothing into actual songwriting, songcraft, performance, etc? Well, okay, maybe that s a stretch., But U2 are getting old and they aint what they used to be. It used to be a u2 album was a grand event. Nowadays, its like okay a u2 album = 1 good song a nd a tour and then a bunch of crap.

kind of like the rolling stones, eh?

DaveC said:
I think you may be on to something... :hmm:

:corn:

Hi DaveC, yeah maybe i am onto something here. I dunno. Things aint what they used to be. U2 used to be all that mattered musically, now they really are not. Thats all. But like the battery bunny they keep on going. Wonder why? Old habits die hard i guess. Or cant teach an old gdog new tricks. who knows. its sad, i remember laughing at the rolling stones once upon a tiem and their boring old fans. now who is laughing? Tell me who is laughing?

U2 is still at the top..... last 2 albums were not bad at all.... not the best 2 of their career, but certainly not the worst 2 either....far from that...

Rolling Stones are a bit tired....

Just wait for the new U2 album.... we'll talk after.... it might be a very important album...

Nah....HTDAAB/ATYCLB were both very well received by the critics and were included in many 'best of' end of year polls. Something the Rolling Stones could only dream of.

Mr Brau:applaud:
You crack me up everytime, even though you are flirting with disaster on this thread.

I will admit, I am not too big of a fan of the last two albums, musically. Yes, it would have been nice for more creativity and less polished songs. I´ll give you that. But I love the band more than ever.

But Mrs. Garrison, you seem to be quite shallow in your remarks and don´t seem to really know much about U2 in the first place (if you do, my apologies).
These last two albums make alot of sense in their overall career growth thematically.
Yes, musically, they are not that challenging, but thematically, they are quite deep and very personal.
I really never got that from the last few Rolling Stones albums.
I had the good fortune of living in Brazil when one week, the Stones gave a free concert in Rio that was on tv. The next week, I went and saw U2 in Sao Paulo.
To try and even compare these bands live is a joke.
The passion that drips off the stage with U2 is something I believe no band on earth can match.
Not sure if you had the chance to hear "Oh You look So beautiful tonight" being sung by 80,000 fans before.
Didn´t sound too processed and business like to me.

So if you are going to come in here throwing punches, make sure you can land one (that means some good constructive criticism, which you absolutely lack).

Mrs. Garrison said:
it just occoured to me, that u2 have now become the equivalent of the Rolling Stones like 10 years ago. Remember the bridges to babylon tour, where they put all of their money inot the production and stage setup and nothing into actual songwriting, songcraft, performance, etc? Well, okay, maybe that s a stretch., But U2 are getting old and they aint what they used to be. It used to be a u2 album was a grand event. Nowadays, its like okay a u2 album = 1 good song a nd a tour and then a bunch of crap.

kind of like the rolling stones, eh?

errrr.... What a bunch of *****. Bomb was a success! So was the Vertigo Tour....

Everything was a Success.....

Why do you have to try and find Negativity out of all this.... I don't think you will be ever happy. There last 2 albums have been a success!!! Geez!

What the!!

STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE!

Yeh it got page two because we have just been sticking up for U2 and explaining they are not worthless pieces of poo.

You have the right to get angry when rubbish like this is said.

I guess I will never understand why people come to a U2 fan board to post negative - and in this case: clearly absurd - stuff about U2. :(

I disagree, i think there album was more than ok and there latest song was amazing.

Stop making mountains out of mole hills

First of all, there is a 15-20 year age gap -- an entire generation-- between U2 and the Stones. U2 are only in their mid-40s. They have years of creativity left in them.

I'm so sick of this "U2 are getting old" complaint. U2 are essentially the same age as Barack Obama (okay, I know that's a strange comparison) and he is considered a child when it comes to American politics.

Further, would the Stones link up with Green Day -- would Green Day even want to link up with the Stones -- not to mention have a No. 1 hit, at least in Europe? Give us a break here.

Alisaura said:
Wow, I can't believe this got to page 2.
you can change your settings so that more posts will fit on 1 page

thought I'd at least add something worthwhile of reading to this piece of pooh of a thread

I don't know why I'm bothering to answer such a post but in defence too of the Stones, I thought they were past producing anything worth listening to but from I've heard of their latest album a Bigger Bang it was a lot better than their other recent stuff. Just because they're all getting old doesn't mean to say they can't write decent music anymore, you only have to look at Bob Dylan's latest for proof of that.

Further, would the Stones link up with Green Day -- would Green Day even want to link up with the Stones -- not to mention have a No. 1 hit, at least in Europe? Give us a break here.

Yes, and Yes. GD are big stones fans and often give props to the Stones. In turn The Stones would hook up with them just to get in the spotlight. I mean watch the performance of Miss You they did with Justin TImberlake, and they milked it for all it's worth. Jagger even started singing Cry Me A River:eyebrow:

You really can't compare the bands. The Stones are from a whole different era, and where they havent been the hit commercial success with singles( than again in the US has U2 been minus Vertigo?) they still put on a good show. In 40 years if U2 are still racking up Grammys, big album sales, and sold out tours, THAN you can say they equal The Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom