u2 = the Rolling Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a fun note this remembers me the joke Bono gave on the week of the Brazil's show , where also Stones had played for free ...........

He joked about Stones being their warm up on Brazil and how curious was their free show , but he didn't feel u2 needed that to make a big audience

Anyway , it's quite fun these threads on sundays , Sempre aparecem os babacas nos domingos :lmao:

U2 are nothing like the Rolling Stones. The last album contained some great songwriting. City of blinding lights is my FAVORITE U2 song ever. Original is in my top 10. Vertigo and Sometimes and Love and Peace are well written songs too. Beautiful Day is a GREAT song. We hardcore U2 fans pan it sometimes only because we've heard it so many times, and because it was so popular, but it really is a very well written song, as is Walk On, Kite, IN a little while, When I look at the world.

It's not as if U2's older material was ALL of high caliber. "Trip through your wires" is not a great U2 song, neither are some of the clunkers on the War album, and lets not forget October! Literally half of the songs on Unforgetabble Fire weren't even written at all, but rather improvisations. To say that U2 resemble the Rolling Stones B2B era are fighting words.

U2 is nothing like the Rolling Stones. Remind me, what album won Album of the Year at the grammys last year. I can't remember it....what was it? How to Open the Refrigerator...no...How to....Put Together A Weapon of Mass Desrtuction....no...AHA! It was HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB. Not Chaos and Creation, not Devils and Dust, not X&Y, HTDAAB. Remind me what two songs won Rock Song of the Year for the past 2 years and what song won Song of the Year last year? Hmmmm? Good grief.

Los Angeles Times - How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb "stands with "The Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby" as one of the Irish quartet's essential works."

E Online - "Bomb eventually reveals itself as a work of genius."

Paste Magazine - "Unabashedly grand and inspirational."

We sometimes forget things like this when we look at Bomb. Give U2 a break. They've still got it and even after 27 years. What band could write music like them after this long? None. Ever. They're the best so take that filing cabinet out of your anus.

cjboog said:
U2 is nothing like the Rolling Stones. Remind me, what album won Album of the Year at the grammys last year. I can't remember it....what was it? How to Open the Refrigerator...no...How to....Put Together A Weapon of Mass Desrtuction....no...AHA! It was HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB. Not Chaos and Creation, not Devils and Dust, not X&Y, HTDAAB. Remind me what two songs won Rock Song of the Year for the past 2 years and what song won Song of the Year last year? Hmmmm? Good grief.

Los Angeles Times - How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb "stands with "The Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby" as one of the Irish quartet's essential works."

We sometimes forget things like this when we look at Bomb. Give U2 a break. They've still got it and even after 27 years. What band could write music like them after this long? None. Ever. They're the best so take that filing cabinet out of your anus.

calm down:|

I have to admit that U2 are not what they used to be. It's because they are old. I don't mean this to be mean, but it's true. Their last two albums, however, kicked ass at the Grammys. But when it comes to popularity nowadays, they are not as nearly as popular as some of the younger bands. The music industry is fueled by teenagers and what they listen. U2 doesn't get any airplay on top 40 stations. I wished they can produce top hits again like WOWY, WTSHNN, Pride, but they don't anymore. BD was somewhat of a hit, and Vertigo was only a hit because of the IPod commercial. But their other singles have flopped big-time.

But U2 aren't alone. Look at other old bands that used to be popular, such as Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. Those artists don't get much airplay with their latest hits either.
The bands that are popular today, I have never heard of before.

[calm down:|

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Pheeeew (takes deep breath)

I haven't been on interference for months and every time I come back here I get so sick of the endless bitching about how bad Bomb and ATYCLB are. Why can't we talk about how amazingly good the band STILL is after 27ish years? That would really be something to talk about, not bashing them for sucking despite the fact that Bomb sold 10 million copies and won album of the year. I don't understand some people...but I'm calming down anyway :wink:

joerags said:
I have to admit that U2 are not what they used to be. It's because they are old. I don't mean this to be mean, but it's true. Their last two albums, however, kicked ass at the Grammys. But when it comes to popularity nowadays, they are not as nearly as popular as some of the younger bands. The music industry is fueled by teenagers and what they listen. U2 doesn't get any airplay on top 40 stations. I wished they can produce top hits again like WOWY, WTSHNN, Pride, but they don't anymore. BD was somewhat of a hit, and Vertigo was only a hit because of the IPod commercial. But their other singles have flopped big-time.

But U2 aren't alone. Look at other old bands that used to be popular, such as Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. Those artists don't get much airplay with their latest hits either.
maybe in the US, but here in the UK there still popular on the UK radio stations, and have massive success with albums and singles, just because the US dosent have the same effect dont take it as if the rest of the world feels the same.

joerags said:

The bands/artists that are popular these days probably wont be the next decade or even the next year :eyebrow: . That is why U2 is so big, people still likes them and they haven´t lost their respect as musicians :hug: And I hope/think they will know when to stop.

Bon Jovi had two big hits off their Have A Nice Day album, and tapped in the country music crazy alot of the kids are into. Who Says You Can't Go Home was a hot 100 top 40 hit. Have A Nice Day was a Hot 100 hit. now Aerosmith yea dead on the charts.

BD was somewhat of a hit, and Vertigo was only a hit because of the IPod commercial.

BD was a HUGE hit. Sure it didn't hit #1, but you still hear it on the radio and tv, even more than Vertigo

fna692002 said:

In 40 years if U2 are still racking up Grammys, big album sales, and sold out tours, THAN you can say they equal The Stones.

But after 40 years THE STONES aren't doing that, and haven't for a very long time (aside from the touring). Your argument is not logical.

cjboog said:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Pheeeew (takes deep breath)

I haven't been on interference for months and every time I come back here I get so sick of the endless bitching about how bad Bomb and ATYCLB are. Why can't we talk about how amazingly good the band STILL is after 27ish years? That would really be something to talk about, not bashing them for sucking despite the fact that Bomb sold 10 million copies and won album of the year. I don't understand some people...but I'm calming down anyway :wink:

:lol:

I am one of the few who think HTDAAB sucks
:wink:

cjboog said:

And the Grammys mean what exactly?

Just remember the guys in U2 can thank the Stones for everything they've done. Without the Rolling Stones, there would be no U2.

KUEFC09U2 said:
maybe in the US, but here in the UK there still popular on the UK radio stations, and have massive success with albums and singles, just because the US dosent have the same effect dont take it as if the rest of the world feels the same.

:up:

KUEFC09U2 said:

Exactly , about ATYCLB , The 4 singles played so much , I never get that thing of only B Day being a big hit , I think this was only in the US as well , the 4 singles were big hits , I lost the count of how many times I heard Stuck and Walk On in 2001 , I swear there was days I heard Walk On 3 times a day , without mention Elevation at the time of the movie , it was huge

And more recently OoTS played awfully a lot here , perhaps even more than Vertigo

LemonMacPhisto said:

Just remember the guys in U2 can thank the Stones for everything they've done. Without the Rolling Stones, there would be no U2.

:huh: :| :eyebrow: :scratch: WTH ??

cjboog said:
U2 is nothing like the Rolling Stones. Remind me, what album won Album of the Year at the grammys last year. I can't remember it....what was it? How to Open the Refrigerator...no...How to....Put Together A Weapon of Mass Desrtuction....no...AHA!

:lmao: This thread should be called " How to stir up controversy" right?
Seriously, people just can't resist the urge to spew negative comments because it gets old hearing how relevant and great U2 are over and over. I for one never tire of singing their praises
:drool: But a good debate: :corn:
Spewing negativity and hate: :shame:
( Not you, just in general ) carry on... :blahblah:

grammys mean nothing

its sad when people use the grammy awards as a measure to prove whether a band is good or not..

Last edited:
bono says that they matter.

dont say that something bono holds important sucks.

just dont.

Jeannieco said:

:lmao: This thread should be called " How to stir up controversy" right?
Seriously, people just can't resist the urge to spew negative comments because it gets old hearing how relevant and great U2 are over and over. I for one never tire of singing their praises
:drool: But a good debate: :corn:
Spewing negativity and hate: :shame:
( Not you, just in general ) carry on... :blahblah:

That's why I love Sundays :drool:

xaviMF22 said:
grammys suck:madspit:

So does Radiohead :wink:

J_NP said:

So does Radiohead :wink:

82303_main.jpg

The Grammys are more out of the loop with whats good in the world than a 20yr coma patient would be. Yay I'm glad U2 gets all the awards, but be honest, if they were not your fav band, would u say "hey they earned it".

The Rolling Stones were already wasted and tired (although they had their Popmarts/Vertigo's in the 90's) in the late 80's. Their albums were not worthy as the past ones.

Not U2. U2 still makes great albums, Bono is an activist and they still on to make great albums.

xaviMF22 said:

:yes:

xaviMF22 said:
grammys mean nothing

I agree that it lost lots of credibility , It was a joke last with An American something girl winnin these things

But Back in 88 for example , when U2 won B album for JT everyone said how huge it was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom