U2 (The Bomb Squad) on HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uwwedoogie

Rock n' Roll Doggie
U2 talk about their new album in the November issue of Q, I haven't got the whole thing up but have 8 of the 12 songs, more later tonight!!

Vertigo
U2 as garage band, Over power chords, Bono sings about boys who play rock’n’roll.
Adam: “It was originally called Native Son and had a very different feel. Bono and Edge rewrote it when we started work with Steve Lillywhite. The bass and drums have a little bit of Echo & The Bunnymen in there – a nice wink to where we came from.”

Miracle Drug
The sort of wide-eyed anthem that should by now carry a U2 patent.
Bono: “It started off being about the Irish writer Christopher Nolan who was at our school (Nolan, who was born with cerebral palsy, won the 1988 Whitbread Prize for his autobiographical novel Under The Eyes Of The Clock). But in a more oblique way it’s probably as much about Aids and the drugs developed to arrest it. I couldn’t write specifically about that without feeling like an idiot.”

Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
Bono on his father’s death. As stately and emotive as One.
Bono: “There’s a line, “You’re the reason I have the operas in me.” My old man was a beautiful tenor. He was this working-class guy who loved opera. He used to sit conducting the stereo with knitting needles.”

Love And Peace Or Else
As close as U2 have come to being Led Zeppelin.
The Edge: “I’m delighted about this one. It’s been around since the last record. All we has was an amazing keyboard part of Brian (Eno)’s and a rhythm section Larry and Daniel (Lanois) had worked up. I fought for hours trying to figure out what to do with this fantastic raw track. We cracked it this time.”

City Of Blinding Lights
Back to the wide-eyed terrain of The Unforgettable Fire, via a vintage Edge motif.
Bono: “It’s a New York song. About going there for the first time. We were the first band to play Madison Square Garden after 9/11. During Where The Streets Have No Name the house lights came up and there were 20,000 people in tears, it was beautiful.”

All Because Of You
Three Minutes of gleeful stomping and a likely single. Sample lyric: “I like the sound of my own voice.”
Adam: “Often when we have something that is straight rock it never goes anywhere – we just keep churning it around. But this was one or two takes.”

A Man And A Woman
Motown by way of The Rolling Stones’ Waiting On A Friend.
Bono: “The sound of sitting on a stoop in New York in the summer. I wanted a song that rolled up The Clash and Marvin Gaye into one.”

Crumbs From Your Table

The Edge breaks out I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For’s ringing guitar. Bono rails at the Aids crisis.
Bono: “I went to speak to Christian fundamentalist groups in America to convince them to give money to fight Aids in Africa. It was like getting blood from stone. I told them about a hospice in Uganda where so many people were dying they had to sleep three to a bed. Sister Anne, who I mention in the song, works at that hospice. Her office was a sewer.”

Thanks mate, but I think this has already been posted here somewhere, so don't hurt your fingers typing it all up :wink:

Back
Top Bottom