U2 the Band vs. U2 the Corporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My interest is in their music. I could care less about hair length or thickness, private or public extracurricular activities of any of the band members, or the U2 juggernaut.

Imagine seeing this thing on a record store shelf in the summer of 1991.

Negativland.u2-front.jpg

You might pick it up. Hell, if you're a U2 fan, you would pick it up. Here's the back cover you'd have seen.

u2-in.jpg

Pretty vague Huh?

But poor Negativeland. How sad for them.

MrBrau1 said:
Imagine seeing this thing on a record store shelf in the summer of 1991.

Negativland.u2-front.jpg

You might pick it up. Hell, if you're a U2 fan, you would pick it up. Here's the back cover you'd have seen.

u2-in.jpg

Pretty vague Huh?

But poor Negativeland. How sad for them.

It should have been filed in the "N" section of the store, so that should have given people a clue. :)

indra said:

It should have been filed in the "N" section of the store, so that should have given people a clue. :)

To this day you'll find this album in the U2 section at many record shops. And when it's on that big shelf behind the counter it screams out "U2 record."

I love it when 3-year-old threads are restarted as if the conversation never ended. :rolleyes:

Negativland was just plain stupid. Weird Al's cover of "White & Nerdy" doesn't say

CHAMILLIONAIRE AND KRAYZIE BONE
weird al yankovic

MrBrau1 said:
Negativeland deserved whatever they got. They were incredibly stupid. The whole "whoa is me" act is bullshit.

And it wasn't Bono and Edge pressing legal action. It was the record company. 2 very different things.

I know 2 people who bought that CD thinking it was the new U2 release.

Casey Kasem sued the hell out of Negativeland as well.

Wasn't there audio with Casey blowing his top on air? It was quite amusing.

MrBrau1 said:
To this day you'll find this album in the U2 section at many record shops. And when it's on that big shelf behind the counter it screams out "U2 record."

I've never seen it. Not once.

If I saw it, I'd probably buy it.

corianderstem said:
Is it still even in print?

Island Records ordered that all copies of the record be destroyed.

Some original copies might be floating around somewhere though.

But it's no longer being printed.

Negativeland are awesome. So sorry to see such . . . . I don't have the word for our defensive posture around U2.

Allegedly, the person who originally created the COEXIST logo approached Bono about getting some credit for that -- not money or some kind of proprietarian shit -- and apparently ran into some problems.

Remember the band suing that woman for the hat? And threatening legal action against websites like this and many others over copyright issues? And not publicly allowing taping of the shows as so many fan-based bands do?

The band is the corporation is the band, and they are the biggest in the world. Sure I miss the old days when this wasn't so painfully obvious and irrefutably true, but I still love them despite themselves and myself.

Anu said:

Allegedly, the person who originally created the COEXIST logo approached Bono about getting some credit for that -- not money or some kind of proprietarian shit -- and apparently ran into some problems.
You mean the poster who said they were a friend and posted like 3 posts and then never backed up anything?

Did U2 ever merchendize or make money off of "COEXIST"? Not to my knowledge...

Anu said:

Remember the band suing that woman for the hat? And threatening legal action against websites like this and many others over copyright issues? And not publicly allowing taping of the shows as so many fan-based bands do?

The band is the corporation is the band, and they are the biggest in the world. Sure I miss the old days when this wasn't so painfully obvious and irrefutably true, but I still love them despite themselves and myself.

Been around any other websites lately? Record companies are taking down lyrics and tabs, etc left and right.

But you can pretend otherwise if you'd like.

Actually the woman was suing the band for the hat (and several other items), and they always acknowledged seeing the COEXIST graffiti. Never passed it as their own idea.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You mean the poster who said they were a friend and posted like 3 posts and then never backed up anything?

Did U2 ever merchendize or make money off of "COEXIST"? Not to my knowledge...

Actually, there is some genuine controversy around U2's use of the COEXIST image.

Please see:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3995

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3994

Let me be clear, though, I don't think any of this is a big deal (borrowing images, sound bytes, what have you), but U2 have *not* joined the movement of many other bands to make their music free for their fans who have already paid them for their work many times over.

I am not in favor of draconian copyright law; I am in favor of the richest band in the world willfully apologizing to Negativeland and giving away live recordings and some general spirit to the music-trading, swapping, giving movement.

Anu said:

Let me be clear, though, I don't think any of this is a big deal (borrowing images, sound bytes, what have you), but U2 have *not* joined the movement of many other bands to make their music free for their fans who have already paid them for their work many times over.

I am not in favor of draconian copyright law; I am in favor of the richest band in the world willfully apologizing to Negativeland and giving away live recordings and some general spirit to the music-trading, swapping, giving movement.

I follow very few bands that actually give out their music, and think the feeling that anyone is privelaged to free music is a selfish one.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I follow very few bands that actually give out their music, and think the feeling that anyone is privelaged to free music is a selfish one.

Lots of great bands share their music and sell their music, both. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I, for one, spend a huge chunk of my "hard earned" on the musicians I love.

For starters, a person could go to archive.org and find their music section. There, plenty of bands' shows are available for free, and a visitor can read the definition of a 'taper-friendly' artist.

This weekend, I will be at a festival where fans' recording devices are explicitly permitted. Plenty of great, successful acts on that bill.

So who is "selfish" here? I'll let Bono take this one.

I'll leave this post with a line from U2 by U2 that explains that it's not U2 band versus U2 corporation because the two are the same and the original five are co-CEOs:

"Artists are as greedy and selfish as anyone else. We are in business, we are tradesmen who, in the Middle Ages, would wander from town to town selling our wares. Get over it. And we try to do the best deals we can for those songs. We try to protect them by not having people steal them."

(found on page 330; look it up.)

Last edited:
Anu said:

For starters, a person could go to archive.org and find their music section. There, plenty of bands' shows are available for free, and a visitor can read the definition of a 'taper-friendly' artist.

This weekend, I will be at a festival where fans' recording devices are explicitly permitted. Plenty of great, successful acts on that bill.

You really aren't talking about the same thing. No one here is giving away their music. So only those that explicitly permit tapers are selfless?

How much live U2 music do you have that you've paid for?

Anu said:

Lots of great bands share their music and sell their music, both. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I, for one, spend a huge chunk of my "hard earned" on the musicians I love.

I'll leave this post with a line from U2 by U2 that explains that it's not U2 band versus U2 corporation because the two are the same and the original five are co-CEOs:

"Artists are as greedy and selfish as anyone else. We are in business, we are tradesmen who, in the Middle Ages, would wander from town to town selling our wares. Get over it. And we try to do the best deals we can for those songs. We try to protect them by not having people steal them."

(found on page 330; look it up.)

I'm really not sure how U2 are being selfish here. You don't think that if they wanted to, they could shut down a site like U2TORRENTS.COM? They're pretty liberal when it comes to online sharing of their live stuff. I mean, do you want them to supply people with the blank CD Roms as well?

If I buy a ticket to a U2 show and tape it and give the tapes to all my friends, that's totally cool with the band?

If so, why don't they set up tapers sections and tapers seats like other bands?

A few years back, a comprehensive U2 bootleg archive went offline and said they'd been contacted directly and asked to do that.

Go to the Lyrics link on this website. There you will find:

"The U2 Lyrics Archive is currently CLOSED as per a cease and desist order by Universal Publishing.
This archive my reopen pending licensing arrangements."

This kind of behavior by the paid agents of the band does not represent a spirit of sharing but owning. They own it. We pay them for the right to borrow it for our own personal consumption. If we rip a copy for a mate who can't afford to buy his own copy, we're considered thieves by the richest band in the world.

Look I love this band as much as anyone on this board. But I don't care to be called selfish or to have it implied that I don't care for the facts. As a rhetorician, I wouldn't make a single claim that I couldn't back up. And if I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

My original premise, in response to the title of this thread, is that the band and corporation are one, and I found a quote from Bono that says that explicitly; it's not even implied but blatant.

He said "get over it." For you BV Superstar, there's nothing to get over because you seem to buy the equations of capitalism and consumerism as givens.

I'm just not over it. I want the prophet of the poor, the zillionaire philanthropist to not look the other way (wink wink) at bootlegs at his shows, I want him to openly condone them.

Last edited:
I don't understand why u2 hasn't released a live cd since R&H. If we as fans want live u2 tracks we have no real choice but to use unofficial sources. I wish I could understand what the thinking is behind them not supporting live music sharing, tapers, etc and also choosing not to release official live material other than on dvd.

I don't know. I didn't have alot of trouble getting ahold of audio for Vertigo shows. If I were guessing, regarding u2 live shows, U2 just don't want to bother with the mechanics of recording and marketing the shows themselves.....

Anu said:
I'm just not over it. I want the prophet of the poor, the zillionaire philanthropist to not look the other way (wink wink) at bootlegs at his shows, I want him to openly condone them.

There are quotes out there that make it pretty clear that U2 certainly have nothing against the trading of their boots. In one I believe Bono explains why the Edge is Pronapster(this was during The Metallica/Napster battle), the other is the Edge I think saying that U2 are all for people taping/trading their gigs so long as they don't profit from it. I'm sure someone has the quotes-If Not I'll find them tonight.

For me, those sentiments(expressed in the quotes) are enough of an endorsement of the tapers to satisfy me. If you think that U2 should go the extra step and offer special seatings for tapers it might not satisfy you

:shrug:

There are still free shows on the net if you want em

Last edited:
When U2 the band sacrifices quality to help out U2 the corporation is when I lose a little respect for them. Unfortunately that has already happened.

"We think it's cool people are so passionate about our music, but we don't want people to get ripped off" - the band said numerous times they're not against bootlegs, just against people making money off it. (not really hard to get bootlegs either in this time of internet) And in the time of DVDs, they also said issuing a live CD is a moot point.

Obviously their label/legal team/Universal publishing might have an issue with, stuff like guitar archive and bootlegs. (most of lyrics are already printed on the albums anyway) If Universal Publishing owns the rights to guitar tabs and lyrics, what do you expect?

Back
Top Bottom