U2 technology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
While watching my team loose last night (lucky New York!, Eli should have gone down!!!), I couldn't help but notice that U2's technology is finding its way onto other artist etc. For any of you who were watching, the curtain screens with the bulbs where used during the halftime show. I've also noticed them for different ocassions. The other one being a Republican debate not too long ago. Just thought I'd share that will you all.

I dont think the curtain lights were all that of an innovation on U2's part. It's cool and all but its not a brand new idea they came up with.

Also, if any of you have seen the Target commercial featuring John Legend... the same curtains and it has the... yes you guessed it! The Vertigo curtains with the Vertigo target signs... Vertigo... targets... Target commercial. :wink:

mandrake said:
I dont think the curtain lights were all that of an innovation on U2's part. It's cool and all but its not a brand new idea they came up with.

Actually it was. That technology was developed specifically for that tour.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I do remember reading about this and it was a new technology used in the concert industry.

and Zooropa man,
I've wondered about the target symbol and U2/Target from the beginning of the Vertigo tour. But I just figured that was just one of those things that can't be patented. Much like I've seen alot of "Red" campaings that don't have anything to do with Bono and Bobby Shrivers's (RED) campaign. i.e AT&T has a new red phone and there's the Red Dress for Womens Heart Disease that I think started before (Red) with Laura Bush, etc. But don't quote me on that. :wink: Either way, it's all for a good cause.. except maybe target stores. I havent heard anything about them giving any profit portion's to the (Red) campaign.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

no it wasn't. the "LED curtain" has been in use by japanese artist on their tours almost 2 yrs before u2 utilized it.
the version/design used by u2, that was developed for u2.
what was unique to u2 is the LED panels used during the stadium version of the tour. it utilised "smt LED's". these are flatter, brighter, run cooler and stand up to different conditions than the conventional LED. i used the "smt" style in my cars for the turns, interior lighting and license plate lights.

Well I remember a few articles that came out at the time of the tour, that were discussed very heatedly in the tour section about this...

I did a quick search, but couldn't find them right now, but if I have time will look for the one written by the designer himself...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well I remember a few articles that came out at the time of the tour, that were discussed very heatedly in the tour section about this...

I did a quick search, but couldn't find them right now, but if I have time will look for the one written by the designer himself...

i'm not saying that the curtain U2 utilised wasn't unique to them. the rolling up/down was definitely something no one else has done, not to mention the size of the LED's used. what i'm saying is that the use of LED curtains was done before. those were stationary and in 1 case the curtains were moved across the stage, but they never used them the way u2 did.
we all know u2 are the people that brought the use of LED technolgy to be used for large scaled display's to the world (POPMART).

Ok, I think the article was talking about how the "light strings" being used as animation was specifically designed for U2. So maybe that's the difference...

Incidentally to this thread and the Brady thread, though not worth a new thread, is that I heard a piece of both Ultraviolet and another song (I think it was Streets or BD - more commonly played so I didn't remember it as well) during Fox's 4 hour pregame.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Ok, I think the article was talking about how the "light strings" being used as animation was specifically designed for U2. So maybe that's the difference...

not too mention that the u2 version you could "walk thru". the others are not that way. leave it too those irish bastards too take things one step further.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom