U2 tax move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ntalwar said:

I don't know the name of their touring corporation or where it's based, but most acts have one in order to minimize liability among other things. E.g. if someone falls off the ellipse, they can't sue the individual members for millions.

U2 does the Canada/Mexico runners to stay under 120 days - the tour forum has plenty of examples of the band crossing the border before midnight, right after a show. When they kicked off in So. Cal., they stayed in Mexico for example.

Ok, thank you very much, did not know that. As for the touring corporation, I have no idea how it is set up, but that article l linked from USA Today did show them paying alot of taxes in Ireland that was all I was saying. Is all their income reported there? You and I both know the answer is no!

thanks to everyone for replying and helping clear this up a bit. i am so glad we have a place where these issues can be debated among fans.

so do you think this is just something for politicians and the media to harp on without knowing the full story? is it cause people almost expect/hope that U2 and Bono will be hypocritical after 20+ years of music and activism that stood for something?

Tennis05 said:

so do you think this is just something for politicians and the media to harp on without knowing the full story? is it cause people almost expect/hope that U2 and Bono will be hypocritical after 20+ years of music and activism that stood for something?

I haven't heard of any politician harping on this...:huh:

I just think it's something the uneducated will harp on, people love to find flaws in charity and causes, it makes them feel better about not doing anything to help.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I haven't heard of any politician harping on this...:huh:

I just think it's something the uneducated will harp on, people love to find flaws in charity and causes, it makes them feel better about not doing anything to help.

How can you know that the people that can see what Bono & Co. are doing, do not help?

Tennis05 said:
thanks to everyone for replying and helping clear this up a bit. i am so glad we have a place where these issues can be debated among fans.

A few Irish politicians have harped on it. But overall, back to Tennis 05, yes, people are trying to discredit someone who is:
A) Having an impact
B)Puts his money where his mouth is

The good thing is we have sites like this, but more importantly, we have a little thing called google that can give us answers to about any question we ask. Sure, all of our hits will come from sources w/ bias, etc, but we can collect and process alot of information and decide for ourselves how to answer the question. Example, Bush kept saying there were WMD in Iraq in 2002- the papers reported this. Go to google, and one of your hits would be a guy named Scott Ritter, the head weapons inspector in Iraq from 1991 to 1998 and a former Marine. He said well before the war, in numerous interviews available online, that the President was full of it- he knew that all of the weapons had been verifiably destroyed in the 1990s and any attempts to reconstitute them would have been eminently detectable by intelligence. In other words, Bush would have had more than 'trust me to go on.' Who was right? Who was giving the more reasonable explanation? But trust him too many did. If only a few more people would have used google before opening their mouths, maybe 4000 dead and 25K wounded could have been prevented. Same thing applies in U2's case, it is clear, doing a little research into how much taxes they pay to Ireland still, what was earned outside of Ireland, the amount of aid Netherlands gives, etc that this was a sloppy, poorly researched attempt to grab headlines and try to expose a hypocrite, and if there is one thing the media loves, it is exposing hypocrites. A little problem: Bono is one of the few people in public life that really is not much of a hypocrite.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Read again what I said...

Yes, it sounds to me like you're assuming that if you find flaws in charity and causes, you are likely not doing anything to help, yourself.

Copy said:

Yes, it sounds to me like you're assuming that if you find flaws in charity and causes, you are likely not doing anything to help, yourself.

Those who seek to find flaw usually don't... that's why they seek to find flaws, to comfort themselves.

Copy said:
That's just an assertion.

Ok, honestly, you don't have other things to do than play semantics?:huh:

First of all, the original statement was filled with a little hyperbole.

Secondly, it's generally true if someone is seeking fault they are doing so to make themselves feel better. If they are truly trying educate themselves and they find fault, then that's completely different.

Copy said:
But how can you know that they are not doing the latter?

If they are doing the latter they can show significant evidence as to why that charity or cause isn't worth it...

Seems pretty obvious to me :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom