U2 Superbowl Setlist Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Superbowl website has a poll up as to which song U2 will be playing they claim that they know U2 will play one of the following songs:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Desire
Beautiful Day
Pride (In the Name of Love)

This is interesting as it was circulated that they will only be playing Elevation & Streets.

Of the list above I say it is Beautiful Day or Pride if they want to go with a patriotic theme.
http://www.superbowl.com/xxxvi/features/entertainment/u2_011602.html?u2_011602

Something about a reworked version of Beautiful Day was mentioned somewhere...

Originally posted by ChangeTheTemperature:

This is interesting as it was circulated that they will only be playing Elevation & Streets.

Since Superbowl.com says U2 will be playing three songs, I'm thinking Elevation, Beautiful Day and Streets.

Actually, I'm thinking:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Walk On

First, all of the songs are upbeat enough for a halftime show, unlike the awesome "Stuck..." They need to keep home viewers glued to their seats, instead of getting up to get a snack.

Second, they're all Grammy nominated singles w/BD being last year's biggie. This way, they plug the album AND the possible Grammy wins.

Lastly, the set order makes sense (to me at least). BD is a triumphant sounding song that say, "F**k yeah! We're back and this is OUR stadium!" Elevation grabs you by your shirt and says, "This Superbowl is the sh**! Get up and dance!" Finally, Walk On says, "Crap! They only gave us 15 minutes. Gotta go!"
smile.gif
Walk On is also U2's call for unity in a post 9/11 USA.

If you wanted to throw an oldie into the mix instead of Elevation then I'd make it WTSHNN. Its kind of a cop out, considering they performed it on TV during the NBA Finals halftime. They might avoid it.

*in Gilda Radner's voice* .... "Nevermind."

[This message has been edited by rsanta74 (edited 01-16-2002).]

Yeah, rsanta, actually you're probably right. I only included "Streets" in my guess because that's what the rumor has been. But you're right, Walk On would make a lot more sense. (Although in truth I don't think U2 should feel like they have to play a "heal the world" set. We've had plenty of those types of entertainment events in the last 4 months).

My sources tell me:

Beautiful Day into Streets
One

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Okay guys, remember how they have had all those sports commercials with their songs? One of them was Desire. Therefore, I predict it will be Beautiful Day, Desire, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

------------------
"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Originally posted by Lise:
Hi Martha. When you first go to the main screen in interference on the lower right it says Get U2 news and you'll be directed to U2news.com

OH! I hardly never go to the main screen.
*blushes, runs away*

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

Originally posted by pub crawler:
I've changed my mind...

1. I Will Follow
2. Twilight
3. An Cat Dubh

pubbie, I think you've hit the nail on the head. That is bound to be the setlist. The crowd and television audience will go crazy with excitement!
biggrin.gif

-sula

There have been four songs mentioned in the press at various times:

Beautiful Day (reworked)
Elevation
WTSHNN
One

...and since both Elevation and BD have been mentioned as setlist openners, I see the performance going as follows:

Elevation or BD
One
WTSHNN

I hope they don't do "Walk On." Good song, but it could never hold a candle to a One/WTSHNN combo.

OK, just checked out Superbowl.com, so I guess they're going with "BD."

[This message has been edited by Auxtung Beibi (edited 01-17-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom