U2 suddenly on the radio more... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 04:23 PM
U2 suddenly on the radio more...

...or is it just me again?
This is getting nuts.
I know a bit about how the music biz works, so I've been assuming it's hyping people for the album... but this is just over the top.

In 45 minutes in my truck the other day, flipping through channels:
Desire
Desire
Desire
With Or Without You
The Sweetest Thing
Desire

WTF??!??!

Also heard this week:
Automatic Baby's "One" (buh?????)
SBS
With Or Without You and Desire again
ISHFWILF

I'm in the northwest-metro-Boston MA area.. is this happening anywhere else???

Old 07-16-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:23 PM
damn..i've never heard Desire on the radio!! lucky

it's not happening yet here in Los Angeles, but i'm guessing it won't be long

Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:23 PM

lmao, I just turned on the radio after reading the topic headline to see if U2 were playing on any stations around here, and the first thing I hear is "it's a beautiful day"
Old 07-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Heard MW and SBS the other day
Old 07-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
Refugee

SBS, One, BD and ISHFWILF were on yesterday.... or maybe the station has a U2 biased DJ... i'm not sure!
Old 07-16-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 09:23 PM
On thursday morning I heard the Unforgettable Fire on the radio for the first time ever...i'd had a really crappy week up to that point, then everything suddenly turned around...my lucky song

What usually happens to me is I get in the car and the radio comes on with some terrible band (say maroon 5 for example), then the dj says "that was maroon 5, and before that was U2..."
Old 07-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Every time I'm in the car, I hardly ever get to hear a U2 song. But when I'm not in the car, my parents always come home and tell me they heard such and such U2 song. . And they've been doing that a lot lately, so I'm guessing U2's been getting more airplay on the radio here, too. .

I have heard U2 on the radio at home, though-they play "Desire" here, too. . I rarely ever hear "With Or Without You" on a radio station, though, which is kinda odd, considering how big a hit that was. .

Also, I personally like Maroon 5. .

Angela
Old 07-16-2004, 08:25 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I heard the B-side of Ever Lasting Love the other day.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The local station here 92 zew (great name for a radio station) plays alot of U2. Even more lately.
A couple of the djs are huge U2 fans and even held a showing of the Slane Castle dvd (when it came out) at a club here. They give nearly daily reports on the album, although they are a bit behind at times. Wonder if they know the latest, I haven't listened today?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I know a new album is on the way when the classic rock stations start playing Red Hill Mining Town again.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Re: U2 suddenly on the radio more...

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden
[BAutomatic Baby's "One" (buh?????)I'm in the northwest-metro-Boston MA area.. is this happening anywhere else??? [/B]
I heard the end of this the other day!! That is one of the LAST songs I would have expected to hear on mainstream radio during the day. Was it 100.7 or something like that? I don't think it was 98.5...

One station has Beautiful Day or Stuck in a Moment going every three hours, but other than that they've just been announcing more upcoming U2 songs, not really playing more.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:47 AM   #12
The Fly

I've noticed this too!

It seems most of last year there was hardly any U2 on the radio where I live, but now I'm hearing a greater them more frequently on various stations.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:33 AM   #13
Refugee

here in chicago, 93 xrt (93.1 wxrt) played 'until the end of the world'!!! bout two days ago. some weird shit's happenin' man talk about deep cuts, however, xrt is a u2 friendly station and has been from the start. i guess they followed u2 quite a bit when they first came over to U.S.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:14 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 01:23 PM
let's just say I was listening to the radio one day and three stations were playing a different U2 song at the same time
Old 07-17-2004, 05:43 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:23 PM
why...... WHY is that now in my sucky country??
Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:23 PM
I've also noticed this here in France !

Old 07-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #17
Refugee

Not really, I mean, no more than the usual. Of course, the usual in Los Angeles area, might be more than other areas.

2 Classic rock stations play U2 songs
1 modern rock station plays U2 during their "flashback" hour.
1 Adult contemporary (that's how it's labeled) plays U2 a lot, at least 1 every 2 hours. They play a mix of mainstream rock/soft rock, but they play Depeche Mode, the Smiths, R.E.M. Pearl Jam, as well.

Then there's this new station, called Indie 103, and they play U2 songs, but they also play ones I've never heard on the radio, the original "Sweetest Thing," U2's cover of "Everlasting Love," "One Tree Hill," A live version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, that must be from one of the times it was played during the PopMart tour, because it's just Edge doing it solo.

More than usual?, I wouldn't notice
Old 07-17-2004, 02:53 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I know a new album is on the way when the classic rock stations start playing Red Hill Mining Town again.

lucky bastard...what a great radio station!

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme
Not really, I mean, no more than the usual. Of course, the usual in Los Angeles area, might be more than other areas.

1 Adult contemporary (that's how it's labeled) plays U2 a lot, at least 1 every 2 hours. They play a mix of mainstream rock/soft rock, but they play Depeche Mode, the Smiths, R.E.M. Pearl Jam, as well.

Then there's this new station, called Indie 103, and they play U2 songs, but they also play ones I've never heard on the radio, the original "Sweetest Thing," U2's cover of "Everlasting Love," "One Tree Hill," A live version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, that must be from one of the times it was played during the PopMart tour, because it's just Edge doing it solo.

thrillme, i never hear that much U2 on the radio here in Los Angeles! what are the stations?

Indie 103.1 is a great radio station. I've heard them play Running to Stand Still and Edge's Sunday Bloody Sunday performance from the Popmart tour. awesome!
Old 07-17-2004, 04:12 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

a radio station in STL just played acrobat - I was so confused by a lesser known U2 song on the radio I had to check to make sure the stereo wasn't hooked up to the ipod or on CD mode
Old 07-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #20
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

I am almost guaranteed to hear a U2 song in my car switching around the stations you mentioned. I've always heard a lot of U2 on LA area stations but I have noticed its picked up just a little lately.