U2 suddenly on the radio more...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
...or is it just me again?
This is getting nuts.
I know a bit about how the music biz works, so I've been assuming it's hyping people for the album... but this is just over the top.

In 45 minutes in my truck the other day, flipping through channels:
Desire
Desire
Desire
With Or Without You
The Sweetest Thing
Desire

WTF??!??!

Also heard this week:
Automatic Baby's "One" (buh?????)
SBS
With Or Without You and Desire again
ISHFWILF

I'm in the northwest-metro-Boston MA area.. is this happening anywhere else???

damn..i've never heard Desire on the radio!! lucky

it's not happening yet here in Los Angeles, but i'm guessing it won't be long

lmao, I just turned on the radio after reading the topic headline to see if U2 were playing on any stations around here, and the first thing I hear is "it's a beautiful day" :laugh:

On thursday morning I heard the Unforgettable Fire on the radio for the first time ever...i'd had a really crappy week up to that point, then everything suddenly turned around...my lucky song :)

What usually happens to me is I get in the car and the radio comes on with some terrible band (say maroon 5 for example), then the dj says "that was maroon 5, and before that was U2..." :madspit:

Every time I'm in the car, I hardly ever get to hear a U2 song. But when I'm not in the car, my parents always come home and tell me they heard such and such U2 song. :p. And they've been doing that a lot lately, so I'm guessing U2's been getting more airplay on the radio here, too. :).

I have heard U2 on the radio at home, though-they play "Desire" here, too. :D. I rarely ever hear "With Or Without You" on a radio station, though, which is kinda odd, considering how big a hit that was. :der:.

Also, I personally like Maroon 5. :reject:.

Angela

The local station here 92 zew (great name for a radio station) plays alot of U2. Even more lately.
A couple of the djs are huge U2 fans and even held a showing of the Slane Castle dvd (when it came out) at a club here. They give nearly daily reports on the album, although they are a bit behind at times. Wonder if they know the latest, I haven't listened today?

I know a new album is on the way when the classic rock stations start playing Red Hill Mining Town again.

wolfeden said:
[BAutomatic Baby's "One" (buh?????)I'm in the northwest-metro-Boston MA area.. is this happening anywhere else??? [/B]
I heard the end of this the other day!! That is one of the LAST songs I would have expected to hear on mainstream radio during the day. Was it 100.7 or something like that? I don't think it was 98.5...

One station has Beautiful Day or Stuck in a Moment going every three hours, but other than that they've just been announcing more upcoming U2 songs, not really playing more.

I've noticed this too!

It seems most of last year there was hardly any U2 on the radio where I live, but now I'm hearing a greater them more frequently on various stations.

here in chicago, 93 xrt (93.1 wxrt) played 'until the end of the world'!!! bout two days ago. some weird shit's happenin' man:ohmy: talk about deep cuts, however, xrt is a u2 friendly station and has been from the start. i guess they followed u2 quite a bit when they first came over to U.S.

why...... WHY is that now in my sucky country??

Not really, I mean, no more than the usual. Of course, the usual in Los Angeles area, might be more than other areas.

2 Classic rock stations play U2 songs
1 modern rock station plays U2 during their "flashback" hour.
1 Adult contemporary (that's how it's labeled) plays U2 a lot, at least 1 every 2 hours. They play a mix of mainstream rock/soft rock, but they play Depeche Mode, the Smiths, R.E.M. Pearl Jam, as well.

Then there's this new station, called Indie 103, and they play U2 songs, but they also play ones I've never heard on the radio, the original "Sweetest Thing," U2's cover of "Everlasting Love," "One Tree Hill," A live version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, that must be from one of the times it was played during the PopMart tour, because it's just Edge doing it solo.

More than usual?, I wouldn't notice ;)

anitram said:
I know a new album is on the way when the classic rock stations start playing Red Hill Mining Town again.

lucky bastard...what a great radio station!

Originally posted by thrillme
Not really, I mean, no more than the usual. Of course, the usual in Los Angeles area, might be more than other areas.

1 Adult contemporary (that's how it's labeled) plays U2 a lot, at least 1 every 2 hours. They play a mix of mainstream rock/soft rock, but they play Depeche Mode, the Smiths, R.E.M. Pearl Jam, as well.

Then there's this new station, called Indie 103, and they play U2 songs, but they also play ones I've never heard on the radio, the original "Sweetest Thing," U2's cover of "Everlasting Love," "One Tree Hill," A live version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, that must be from one of the times it was played during the PopMart tour, because it's just Edge doing it solo.

More than usual?, I wouldn't notice

thrillme, i never hear that much U2 on the radio here in Los Angeles! what are the stations?

Indie 103.1 is a great radio station. I've heard them play Running to Stand Still and Edge's Sunday Bloody Sunday performance from the Popmart tour. awesome!

a radio station in STL just played acrobat - I was so confused by a lesser known U2 song on the radio I had to check to make sure the stereo wasn't hooked up to the ipod or on CD mode

thrillme said:

More than usual?, I wouldn't notice ;)

:yes:

I am almost guaranteed to hear a U2 song in my car switching around the stations you mentioned. I've always heard a lot of U2 on LA area stations but I have noticed its picked up just a little lately.

Out here in Kansas CIty, E 105.1 plays steady U2 (about twice a day). Usually it's Streets, SHFWILF, Desire (Hollywood Remix), Pride, and Mysterious Ways.

BUT, 97.3 The Planet plays U2 every two hours. And they play every single including Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World, they're going to try and get Running to Stand Still.

The reason for this is because they are independently owned and can play whatever they want. One DJ said, as a joke, that in the job description to work at The Planet, U2 has to be a band that you love. They really do love U2. It's awesome.

You people are so lucky! I heard Streets the other night and that was only the second time EVER that I heard it on the radio. Sad, I know.

discothequeLP said:

lucky bastard...what a great radio station!

thrillme, i never hear that much U2 on the radio here in Los Angeles! what are the stations?

Indie 103.1 is a great radio station. I've heard them play Running to Stand Still and Edge's Sunday Bloody Sunday performance from the Popmart tour. awesome!

KLOS 95.5, and Arrow 93.1 play U2, I mean, not as much as K-Earth plays the Beatles, but I hear them.

Star 98.7, that's the adult contemporary. I heard Desire played this morning, sometimes at work they'll put this station over the intercom, basically listening to Star most of the day, and I hear U2 songs.

I once heard a remixed "dance" version of "Streets" on KBIG, 104.

I have never heard desire on the radio as much as you're mentioning it. They always play WOWY on the classic rock station here or some of the other slower U2 songs.

Re: Re: U2 suddenly on the radio more...

Schmeg said:

I heard the end of this the other day!! That is one of the LAST songs I would have expected to hear on mainstream radio during the day. Was it 100.7 or something like that? I don't think it was 98.5...

It was either 92.5 The River or 92.9 WBOS.
Not sure which.

92.5 is an independent station, kicks ass cos they can play whatever they want, but then again BOS has that All-U2 St. Pat's broadcast... :D

God I love Boston radio sometimes :lol:

and yea like anitram said -- you will notice a pattern, when an artist has a new album coming out suddenly their older stuff starts getting played more frequently. It's all part of a band having good promo....

...but goddammit that was just ridiculous! :D

Right, it was BOS. :up: They play Stuck in a Moment acoustic a lot too. I only get 92.5 on cloudy days for some reason.

Of course today I was LOOKING for U2 on the radio but I couldn't find anything! :shrug:

FM96 London, Ontario station plays loads of U2. Just the other day they played Out Of Control "Live" from Slane. :drool: You won't find that happening on any of the American stations in my local neck of the woods. GAWD BLESS THE CANUCKS! :wink:

umm,, yes,,,, so anyhoo lot's of U2 on rotation at fm96 "all the time" not just recently.:tongue:

There's only one radio station I listen to (been hooked on it for 30 years now) and not a single day passes without U2 being played :D . There's a DJ there who mainly plays jazzy stuff, but one day I heard him say he can't wait for the new U2 album!

Back
Top Bottom