U2 - still relevant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I will try my best to keep a certain band name out of this thread cos I know it would annoy you all.
but I went and bought the new album by the band yesterday

after listening to it I was in awe of just what influence this band has had on the current music scene. hoards of bands pump out similar trancey, melodic pop music now, thanks to these. but nothing get better than the original.

it also occurred to me that U2 have lost almost all their influence. After Achtung Baby, U2 gradually began their decline into irrelevance.

not to say I don't enjoy the latter stuff...my favorite album just might be Pop and I love zooropa(ATYCLB is a bit of ass though)

but, if the new album is at all like the last...then, I'm not even totally sure I could continue to call them my number one band..I mean..there are SOOOOO many better albums out then ATYCLB...so many!

What do you think?
are they still influencial? still relevant?

no matter what happens in their latter years...U2 will always be the band that got me emotionally attached to music....I hope they can do something to keep my interest presently

Basstrap said:
U2 will always be the band that got me emotionally attached to music....I hope they can do something to keep my interest presently

I couldn't have said it better, Bassy. :yes:

First of all, I don't see why anyone would put "irrelevant to me" and "irrelevant to the (musical) world" together as if it was one and the same.

I don't think I'd put "influential" and "relevant" into the same basket because IMO they're something completely different. IMO U2's most "influential" music really belongs to the 80s when they really found their unique, inimitable sound; anything they did later was done in relation to that sound. Anyway, a band can make great music and stay relevant without necessarily being a big influence on other artists. If someone asked me to combine a list of the most influential bands I doubt that U2 would get a mention, but do I think their music is irrelevant? Hell no.

Their music is still relevant and influential to me, from Boy to ATYCLB, that's all that matters. Many of today's best artists sight U2 as a major influence; Radiohead, Oasis, Coldplay, etc. I even recall an interview w/ Billy Corgan after the Irving Plaza show in 2000 where he said U2 were "STILL, the best band in the world."

Basstrap said:
I will try my best to keep a certain band name out of this thread cos I know it would annoy you all.
but I went and bought the new album by the band yesterday

and bassy, do you like it? ;)

very very much so, my dear satan goat head

anyway...my opinion is that on the grand scale of things, ATYCLB is not an important album and, whereas pop aged beautifully, it will age badly. I think years down the road it will be lost amongst the better u2 albums.

my point is...if they continue on that road, they are in danger of becoming one of those washed up bands.

but...from what I've heard of the new album, I'm actually quite optimistic!! :)

ATYCLB seem to foreshadow the events of 9/11, so well that it's almost scary. New York, Stuck, Walk On, Kite, Peace On Earth, hell, the whole album seemed to reflect on an event that hadn't happened yet. After 9/11 Stuck and Walk On were all over NYC radio as they took on new meaning. I don't think people's opinion of this record will fall as time goes on, but the opposite.

Not this argument again. Of course they are. Who else is these days? I don't see anybody. I'm also really shocked ATYCLB gets so much bashing as not being important. It was very perfect for its time and became ironic and eeirily prophetic after 9-11 with songs like New York, Walk On, Peace On Earth and When I Look at the World. Also, with the deaths of several people close to the band, with Stuck, Kite andn IALW. It also tells a lot about themselves and their experiences and their point in life. Maybe it might not grab you but those lyrics mean a lot to a lot of people. Besides, Beautiful Day is one of the best driving songs ever, and Walk On is a classic on the scale of One. It was the right album at the right time. I expect the same with this new one!

Last edited:
great thread basstrap. i was feeling the same thing you are right now, about a year ago. then i totally lost faith. :up: where am i now...lets see... im at the point where im thankful for everything theyve done up to 1997. 20 years of great music is enough to ask from one band. its just that they probably should have quit by now.

believe it or not, im not trying to provoke an arguement here. im just saying how i feel.

U2Kitten said:
Who else is these days? I don't see anybody.

who else is these days?
please don't take offense but there are a handful of amazing bands who are writing music that will shape the future...and, I'm sorry, if we choose to ignore these bands we will get stuck in the past..then, 20 years down the road my kids will be thinking I'm lame and musically inept.

I'm sorry you are bored by this...but I think it's a good question.

ATYCLB has some of Bono's worst lyrics and some of the bands more predictable musical compositions.

if a song as bad as elevation shows up in the new onw...I'll cry

Basstrap said:

who else is these days?
please don't take offense but there are a handful of amazing bands who are writing music that will shape the future...and, I'm

If they're shaping the "future" of music we'll have to wait and see just how relevant or influential lots of todays bands are. U2's influence can be seen right now. And I don't really buy the idea that music's changed all that much, it's still rhythm and melody, harmony, verse, prechorus, chorus, bridge. There may be lotsa beats and computer noises in songs now, but songs are pretty similar the when Woody Gutherie was recording.

Last edited:
ATYCLB not being relevant?
how's that?

it got more airplay then everything U2 released since Achtung Baby put together
it reached more people
followed by a massive popular tour

Beautiful Day was a massive hit with big guitars in a time where the charts were full with just about anything but guitars

I don't mind people disliking ATYCLB (even though I often do not understand their reasons, but oh well ...) but questioning the relevance of that album ... I don't get that at all

U2Kitten said:
Not this argument again. Of course they are. Who else is these days? I don't see anybody. I'm also really shocked ATYCLB gets so much bashing as not being important. It was very perfect for its time and became ironic and eeirily prophetic after 9-11 with songs like New York, Walk On, Peace On Earth and When I Look at the World. Also, with the deaths of several people close to the band, with Stuck, Kite andn IALW. It also tells a lot about themselves and their experiences and their point in life. Maybe it might not grab you but those lyrics mean a lot to a lot of people. Besides, Beautiful Day is one of the best driving songs ever, and Walk On is a classic on the scale of One. It was the right album at the right time. I expect the same with this new one!

Exactly.

In some way, shape, or form, regardless of how big or small the influence and relevance, U2's music, from the early stuff up to now, is important to me. Example: if a song deals with something horrible that happened in a whole other country, even though I haven't experienced it personally, the frustration at what happened and hope that things will get better still resonates with me. Even my least favorite song by them still does something for me.

Maybe their music isn't relevant or influential to some people anymore, but to others, it still means something.

Angela

Who give a fuck about relevance or influence?

You either like a song or you don't. You either like an Album or you don't.

Save the 'relevance and influence' for sanctimonious music 'journalists'.

Put a CD in the player and let it take you to another place and stop trying to be so intellectual.

Basstrap said:

ATYCLB has some of Bono's worst lyrics and some of the bands more predictable musical compositions.

I think that's kind of an unfair statement to make.

:hmm: Let's see, who was big at the time ATYCLB came out? Backstreet Boys, Britney, N Sync.... I just don't get why people say that album isnt' good because I think it helped wipe out the boy bands.

Well, I am not a huge ATYCLB fan in it's entirety. I love many of the songs. I think that Kite is one of the best songs ever written, and I think In a Little While, Walk On, New York, and Elevation are really great. The rest fall kind of in the so-so area.

But I when I think back to ATYCLB's release, U2 is still very much relevant. Beautiful Day is not a normal single by any stretch of the imagination. But there was something about it that resonated with people, something that really got the public interested in U2 again. I remember when they were interviewing people going into the Grammy's and they were asking people who they were looking forward to seeing perform, and I would say 75% of the people said U2. Remember their SNL performance? My God man, that in itself was another groundbreaking moment in 2002.

That being said, I really do want them to cut loose again. ATYCLB was too safe and predictable for my taste. POP is SO incredible because of its sense of adventure and let's face it, some kick ass music and amazing lyrics.

So while I think U2 still are relevant, if they don't step it up a notch on this next one it will be dissapointing and in return decrease their relevance. At least to me.

And yes there are quite a few incredible bands/artists out there right now that are really making some incredible music.

p.s. - another great album came out yesterday too - Fountains of Wayne, Welcome Interstate Managers. (My little plug for this amazing band that has been overlooked for way too long)

I dont think anyone can ever have their opinion changed on an internet forum.
You either like it or you dont. I think ATYCLB blows curds, but I am really glad a lot of people like it, because if they didn't, U2 may call it quits. I have no idea if I will like the new one or not and cannot base any preconceived notions on previous work. Although, by all reports the new one is simply a harder ATYCLB.

Tip Top Prince said:
Who give a fuck about relevance or influence?

You either like a song or you don't. You either like an Album or you don't.

Save the 'relevance and influence' for sanctimonious music 'journalists'.

Put a CD in the player and let it take you to another place and stop trying to be so intellectual.

hey!
:angry:
I'm not saying I don't listen and enjoy music which is not influencial or "relevant"...I just think it's an interesting question.

for the love of God...I'm never posting in here again

a mole digging in a hole..rock on

Well before AB came out Bono called it a dance record, and he also said Pop was a raw rock record before it was completed as well.

The report I heard was from Joe OHerlihy, in pretty much those words.
"...new U2 Album is to appear according to planning in February 2004, said Joe O'Herlihy. The sounds of the finished songs, he said are similar to All That You Can't Leave Behind ', with harder sounds of guitar. "

But yeah, I dont think we can really guess. Was that from my comment Mr Brau?

Hey Angela he's another quote on the new LP from Paul M-

"it sounds very exciting to me, very rock and roll, very direct as you would expect with Chris Thomas producing."

Basstrap said:

hey!
:angry:
I'm not saying I don't listen and enjoy music which is not influencial or "relevant"...I just think it's an interesting question.

for the love of God...I'm never posting in here again

a mole digging in a hole..rock on

Hey Basstrap, don't take it personally. He can have his view. I liked your question and think it's appropriate at the time where we are anticipating a new album.

rock on indeed.

MrBrau1 said:
Hey Angela he's another quote on the new LP from Paul M-

"it sounds very exciting to me, very rock and roll, very direct as you would expect with Chris Thomas producing."

hehe thanks Mr Brau! 'Very rock and roll, very direct' sounds pretty good! Cant knock it til we've heard it after all!

Now I'm just hanging on a release date :D

Well, if ya dig music that's influential, check out this guy named Bob Dylan, probably the most influential artist there ever was or ever will be.

I wish I had something constructive to say, but I'm not excited by the new record. I will be though, rest assured, it's just that slow little period right now, but once we begin to hear stuff (single leaks and whatever) I think I'll be caught up in the general craziness.

That said, I agree 100% with Salome. Couldn't have put it better.

sure they released some shite later on
but after they released the album Holland nothing of any importance has been added to music

Back
Top Bottom