@U2: Spring 2005 release is not out of the question... (!?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor_f

Refugee
Our friend Brian in Ireland emailed a couple days ago with word that Hot Press has a story in the magazine (it's not on the web site) about what's happening with U2's current studio efforts. Brian tells us that the article restates some previous quotes from Steve Lillywhite and Paul McGuinness, but also quotes a "someone close to the band" who tells the magazine that U2 is not starting over with Lillywhite, but taking an extra month or two to make sure the album is finished. That's all well and good, but then they go into release dates. This "someone close to the band" tells Hot Press the band is aiming for September/October, but that a Spring 2005 release is not out of the question. Ouch...

(Come to think of it, my back really started acting up this weekend after Brian's email came in.)

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3343

:shocked: Spring 2005?!?

Well, it's true we have often heard of "fans close to the band", "Edge's cousins" etc... but this is a redicoulus amount of time to finish the album - there are some kind of problems with the songs IMO. Hopefully it's untrue or only the very worst-case scenario.

A month or two added, does that mean that instead of September (McGuiness did say "after summer") rumors we heard it could be October or November?

I'm getting a bad feeling about this album - what if it gets only a mild reception from fans and critics, or worse yet, what if it totally flops and buries them?

Last edited:
It will be September/October. Then tour in spring of 2005. Same formula as ATYCLB. Nothing to worry about...:|

zoopop said:
It will be September/October. Then tour in spring of 2005. Same formula as ATYCLB. Nothing to worry about...:|

Well I'm sorry to say this, but your optimism is built on a shaky foundation. The album was supposed to be released October 2003 and tour in spring of 2004....same formula as ATYCLB. In fact, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that we won't see a new U2 album until 2005. You have no reason to believe this album will ever be released. You have no reason to believe they will ever tour again.

To go from releasing an album in 2000 and not release the "follow up" until 2005 is pretty pathetic. But face it, folks. That is the reality of this situation. They won't be done before fall. They simply WILL NOT put out an album this fall. It's impossible for them.

yeah, i'm at the point where i love what they've done in the past, but i am not a fan of the current U2.

even if the new album is good, it's just not gonna seem the same, not the way this whole thing is going down.

realisticly, this is their last album.

Bono's Tart said:
It will be Sept/Oct 2004, DONT PANIC!!

well, I panicked in January when it was not coming out in March.

now, I'm more resigned to the fact that my favorite band for the last 19 years is coming to the end of their journey.

This may not be their last album, but it's certainly one of the last 2.

I'm just more sad than pissed at this point.:sad:

Well I don't know about this being the last album, I think they will finish this decade, but after that who knows?

The_acrobat said:
The album was supposed to be released October 2003 and tour in spring of 2004....same formula as ATYCLB.

But it wasn't. Honestly, this album has never had a firm release date. It's not like "Chinese Democracy," or even "America's Sweetheart," where the record stores, radio stations and press were told that, yes, the album is going to be coming out on this date and then have it pushed back and back and back. Any release date that has come out for the album has been speculative at best, even if it was Bono saying it.

YOU KNOW WHAT?

I'm actually kinda sorta happy that U2 are taking this long :huh:

Yep. It's true. 5 stars...I kid you not :ohmy: It's like they're not trying to merely capitalize on the ATYCLB popularity, but do something different...start over and pick up new steam, ya' know? Pushing the album back as far as spring of '05 really only tells me two things - they're not putting anything out that they don't feel is up to their standards AND that they have enough faith in their new material to hold out for this long...

OR maybe I'm just being optimistic :D

:drunk:

Last edited:
you should come to expect worst case scenario when it comes to u2 recording albums.

im starting to fully expect spring 2005 release, tour in the summer.

1998: Best of 1980-1990
2000: The Ground Beneath Her Feet
2000: All That You Can't Leave Behind
2002: Best of 1990-2000
2003: "Beat on the Brat" from the Ramone's Tribute album.
2004: NEW ALBUM.

I consider this a full schedule considering the scope of the band's popularity. The only lull in their release schedule came in 2001, but considering that it sold properly throughout late 2000-mid 2002 I consider it a well deserved break.

Granted, they haven't release 10-12 new songs at one time in nearly 4 years, but since then they've been in the public eye by performing at award shows and releasing soundtrack tunes and singles. They're still working hard, so the end doesn't seem imminent.

just set your goals real low that way there will be NO disappointment

new album fall of 2005
Tour spring of 2006

Does anything think on the bright side and think that maybe its just a typo? Why would they Spring 2005 isn't out of the question when that was never part of the question in the first place? To me it sounds like it might just be the wrong year.

JOFO said:

well, I panicked in January when it was not coming out in March.

now, I'm more resigned to the fact that my favorite band for the last 19 years is coming to the end of their journey.

This may not be their last album, but it's certainly one of the last 2.

I'm just more sad than pissed at this point.:sad:

I've been a fan for about 22/23 years now, I think part of the problem here is the internet rumours!! Before the web you had to rely on news reports, now they only have to fart and its on here within the hour!!!

Until I hear it from the mouth of Paul McGuinness that U2 are splitting and this is their last album its all rubbish!!!
Only then will I believe it, in fact if I'm lucky enough to meet Bono again in Dublin next month when I go I am going to ask him!!
I may even be cheeky and go into PM!!!!

Last edited:
"Cheeky", I love that expression. The English have all the great little phrases and expressions.

This forum lives for disappointment, doesn't it? We will have an album when it's finished. At this point I'm still confident it will be Fall of this year, but I have been wrong before, haven't I Chizip!

you sure have reggie :wink:

and to think, i was labeled a pessimist for saying fall of 2004, and it may turn out that my prediction was actually too optimistic. kind of ironic huh?

Maybe it was released last October and we were so busy speculating about the new album on Interference that we didn't relaise it had already been released.

Y'never know.....it's possible

Bono's Tart said:

Until I hear it from the mouth of Paul McGuinness that U2 are splitting and this is their last album its all rubbish!!!
Only then will I believe it, in fact if I'm lucky enough to meet Bono again in Dublin next month when I go I am going to ask him!!
I may even be cheeky and go into PM!!!!

Well, I didn't say it was going to be their last album, but probably second to last.
If this comes out in fall 2004, the next one won't be until spring 2007 at the earliest.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
[B
This forum lives for disappointment, doesn't it? We will have an album when it's finished. At this point I'm still confident it will be Fall of this year, but I have been wrong before, haven't I Chizip! [/B]

Hey Reggie, you've been one of those who have been dissappointed, no?

Back
Top Bottom