U2 splitting up rumor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lewis12 said:

Well, there is one big exception: the Beatles went out still on top. Personal differences between John and Paul, but nothing like that exists with U2. They have a very Zen like approach to their situation, and from where I sit I see no rivalries inside the band. If U2 ever split, they might be for one of two reasons: due to illness or family crises, etc. or due to lack of interest or ideas.

We can only wait and see on those. But I think things look pretty good for them. The long breaks help them stay alive.

yes but they BROKE up...they didn't just walk away. They didnt' say

We're the beatles, we're done we're friends we could make more music..but we feel this is our time to step aside

2 crap albums in a row? *cough zooropa cough pop cough *u2 fan stabs him to death*... alright they were OK!) ahem.

I admit they made it up with 'all that you can't leave behind' which is candidate for best u2 album ever and there were some mint songs on those albums.. but not enough for me personally to constitute 'excellence'

Last edited:
I don't think they will ever "break up". I think they will just work togther less and less. I don't ever see U2 having a Farewell Tour (at least that they advertise) or a Farewell Album. That just doesn't seem like their style to me. I don't think they'd ever want to box themselves into a corner.

I think a group that has lasted this long will kind of always be together but we may not see records and tours as much (okay, so we don't see it a lot now LOL).

Personally what worries me the most though, are the stories about their health etc. Larry has kinda of already admited in a recent article that he is "shattered" after he show. (His back has been an issue) and some of said Bono's back isn't very good (rumours). Also, we all know that Bono's voice isn't what it used to be. (I'm not saying it's horrible, it's just not growing better with age). So, those things are part of what makes me think this tour could be one of their last large blow out tours. In the furture, I think they'll just change the way they do things a bit.... make things a bit smaller.

nah I hope they will stop on the top of their career, NOT like the rolling stones or something, 5 reunion tours and crap albums and 6 best offs etc.

That when I'm 50 years old I can remind it as the best band!!! and not as the best band that were getting worse and worse.

Much as I love Bono, I think Edge is the only one who could make a really good solo album... he can sing, play guitar, play keyboards, play bass (40...plus anyone who plays guitar can theoretically play bass), make good arrangements... I don't know. It'd be interesting, but I think one of the defining qualities of U2 is the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry are good on their own, but when they come together they make something far, far greater.

I don't think anyone can honestly say they believe U2 is breaking up after the Vertigo Tour if they've heard the song Mercy. U2 clearly still has IT in them, whatever IT is that makes U2 reach those great heights. I really, really think they have the potential to make the greatest record of their entire career next album. But we'll see... even if it's not, even if it's the worst U2 album, I'll still love them, because no matter what they make NOW I've still got Pop:heart:, Acthung, JT, and every other U2 album...

bono told me that he is going to leave u2 after tomorrow night. he said something about a career in waste management.

Regardless of what some of you guys think of HTDAAB, I somehow doubt the band is going to interpret an album that went to #1 in 34 countries and fueled a sold-out tour as "crap." Ditto for ATYCLB; how many Grammys did that rake in? I say the band's crap counter is still at zero.

And for those of you who want an Edge solo album, buy 'The Captive' soundtrack. That CD is awesome.

Yeah they are splitting up thats why they are spending millions building a new recording studio...makes a lot of business sense to me.

Yahweh said:
Yeah they are splitting up thats why they are spending millions building a new recording studio...makes a lot of business sense to me.

:yes:
You dont relise that there will be 4 sperate levels to the studio, One Labled A, another B, another L and the last one E.

Cant wait for Adams Solo album....

bono_man2002 said:
Bonos going solo, and hes gonna be rapper.

Cant wait for his Duets with Britney and Hillary.

:lol: Introducing B-man straight from Dub to the Lin!

Larry has said he's "dead tired" on this tour after playing live, like he hasn't been from early 80's.

U2 does their albums in trilogies (Boy, October, War; Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum; Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop; All That You Can't Leave Behind, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, ??? ????? ?? ???? ? ????? ???). So I think there will either be one or four more -- they need a closing album to the All That You Can't Dismantle An Atomic Bomb with some verbose title (possibly something like "When The World Comes To Its Senses" or "Waking Up Into A World In Need Of Change" or "We're In Our Forties And Still Play Better Than Anyone Else Live!"). So after this album, they could end. But I don't think so. I'd say new album Christmas of 2006; Another in 2009, another in 2012, another in 2016, and then three or four non-album singles between 2017-2020.

I heard that U2 have already broken up, and have moved to the Moon so they can live out their lives in peace and tranquility. Apparently they've been replaced by robots that look exactly like U2, because they were afraid that if their fans heard about the breakup, we'd all travel to the Moon in an attempt to find them, thus spoiling their peaceful retirement.

the tourist said:
U2 does their albums in trilogies (Boy, October, War; Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum; Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop; All That You Can't Leave Behind, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, ??? ????? ?? ???? ? ????? ???). So I think there will either be one or four more -- they need a closing album to the All That You Can't Dismantle An Atomic Bomb with some verbose title (possibly something like "When The World Comes To Its Senses" or "Waking Up Into A World In Need Of Change" or "We're In Our Forties And Still Play Better Than Anyone Else Live!"). So after this album, they could end. But I don't think so. I'd say new album Christmas of 2006; Another in 2009, another in 2012, another in 2016, and then three or four non-album singles between 2017-2020.

Whoa..don't get carried away here...

doctorwho said:

He already kind of did one, back in the early 80's. Soundtrack for a movie (Sinead O'Connor appeared on a track).
It was named Captive.

I'd love for them to do at least one more huge tour, seeing as this is my first tour that Ive been able to go. Although Ill feel sorry for my bank account if they do tour again! lol I look for 2 more albums and one more big tour. Then if they don't tour again, I'd say they'll probably do large shows here and there. But who knows and really no need to worry about it. Just have to enjoy this tour :)

Back
Top Bottom