U2 songs where the studio version overshadows the live version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
I was listening to OOTS today and this question came to mind. I haven't heard any performance of this song live that rivals the studio track. Vocal overdubs for Bono at the climax of the song, the minimalist production for the first two verses of the album version, I just don't think it can be topped live.

They've never captured the part after 'under controlllllll' live like it should be.

Now I created this thread because so often it's the other case - live versions destroying the studio versions of U2 tracks.

Any other U2 songs where you think the studio is the best version?

I always liked the more rocking version of Mysterious Ways on Achtung Baby than the slower more funky version that was always performed live.

BANZAI said:
Stay album version is much better than the live version. :drool:

Agreed! Add to the list:

With or without you- Bono absolutely nails the vocals on the studio track. It's impossible for him to do a better version live

One- The studio version of One is absolute perfection! i think it's just been played too much live and that's kind of sucked the emotion out of it

All I want is you- All I want is you is nothing without the strings! Live it just sounds very dull

Do You Feel Loved
If God Will Send His Angels

I think both could have been truly great live songs if U2 had had the time to properly rehearse them.

jonnytakeawalk said:

With or without you- Bono absolutely nails the vocals on the studio track. It's impossible for him to do a better version live

that's interesting... probably on vocals studio version is superior, but this song haven't been one of my favorites... never, but I really enjoy it live

I agree about Stay, studio version is way better than live

"I always liked the more rocking version of Mysterious Ways on Achtung Baby than the slower more funky version that was always performed live."

Mysterious Ways is 100 times better live!!!!

What a weird point of view..... have you ever heard Edge's solo at the end??? :drool:

namkcuR said:
Do You Feel Loved
If God Will Send His Angels

I think both could have been truly great live songs if U2 had had the time to properly rehearse them.

Had they have stayed in the setlist, they would have worked it out one way or another.
I'd imagine IGWSHA would be great to hear on the Vertigo tour, obviously not going to happen though.

And Stay rocks live!!, both Zoo TV and Elevation Tour Versions.

Pride - obviously! Bono never reached that vocal again.

Velvet Dress.

But mostly, U2 tracks are better live - IMO of course!

europop2005 said:
Exit sounds incredible on the album but not as emotional live

I've actually never been fond of it on the album (the volume issue may be have been a factor..), but I've come to like it more after listening to some boots. It's pretty good on a few JT Tour bootlegs, and the video from the R&H movie isn't too shabby.

For me, the Vertigo Tour version of Elevation didn't work so well. It was fine live on the last tour...but the semi-"acoustic" version they did on the current tour didn't wow me...especially its placement so early in the setlist.

europop2005 said:
Exit sounds incredible on the album but not as emotional live

blimey! never met anyone with that view before! :ohmy: I'll always prefer the studio version but they always tended to go a bit crazy live!

my picks -

All of Zooropa.
With or Without You
The Unforgettable Fire
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
actually, nearly all of the Joshua Tree to be honest...

gareth brown said:

blimey! never met anyone with that view before! :ohmy: I'll always prefer the studio version but they always tended to go a bit crazy live!

my picks -

All of Zooropa.

The Sydney version of Dirty Day is incredible!!!
I disagree with you over JT as well!

But it's good to see other people's views expressed 'cos if everyone agreed with me then I'd go :crazy:

Agree with you about The Unforgettable Fire though, because this must be the NUMBER ONE live disappointment of the band's career...well, maybe after Babyface :wink:

In God's Country, especially those of the later part of the JT tour when the guitar key sounds awful. Same with Even Better Than The Real Thing. I also agree Exit is better on the album, more atmosphere ( with the crickets instead of larry bashing the drumsticks) and the guitar & bass sounds better. Pride sounds just slow and kinda lazy live. The unforgettable fire had some cheesy synth parts live wich I don't like as much. It lacks the orchestral parts.

U2mixer said:
The Sydney version of Dirty Day is incredible!!!
I disagree with you over JT as well!

Haha, i enjoy the live Dirty Day but somehow never heard what everyone else was hearing that made it superior to the album version. Plus with the Joshua Tree i just love EVERYTHING about that album so to hear some live versions i always notice the things that are missing that they obviously can't re-create on stage. The Rattle and Hum version of With or Without You is glorious though.

OOTS - just because edge doesn't extactly the same
wowy - Bono best vocal ever !

BANZAI said:
Stay album version is much better than the live version. :drool:

Abso-freakin-lutely!!! I adore the studio version! :drool:

jonnytakeawalk said:

Agreed! Add to the list:

One- The studio version of One is absolute perfection! i think it's just been played too much live and that's kind of sucked the emotion out of it

All I want is you- All I want is you is nothing without the strings! Live it just sounds very dull

Wow! :ohmy: I agree completely! esp. on One and AIWIY! :love:

gareth brown said:

...with the Joshua Tree i just love EVERYTHING about that album so to hear some live versions i always notice the things that are missing that they obviously can't re-create on stage. The Rattle and Hum version of With or Without You is glorious though.

The Joshua Tree is :drool: and is the first album that gave me goosebumps - and still does!

Even though I love the various live versions of tracks from that album, I would still love to hear a stripped down version that sticks as close to the original as is possible in a live setting.

Imagine a live version of RTSS with the Edge playing a slide and a 'true' bluesy version of BTBS - :drool:

Haha! That'd be nice [the Running to Stand Still] they could easily pull it off if Bono played the piano but with Bullet the Blue Sky I've never heard a performance that lives up to the original simply because the guitar on the album is just too damn good. I doubt I'll hear my prayers answered and hear The Edge recreate that sound live on stage. :wink:

gareth brown said:

Bullet the Blue Sky

No way. Bullet live is excellent while the studio version just seemed blah. I rarely listen to the studio version anymore.. the live versions are just better, and a lot more interesting. Many here are tired of the song live, but I love it.. it is one of U2's most versatile songs.

Pride is my pick. The studio version was nailed so good in every way that I don't think it could be duplicated, much less suprpassed, live. Staring at the Sun is a good call too. The studio version is awesome.

We are lucky to be fans of the greatest live musical act of all time. Nearly every U2 song sounds better live than the studio version.

My only complaint is their accoustic versions.. no thanks, makes the band seem old, an image that will be increasingly more diffcicult to defeat for U2. And I am not talking here, amongst awesome U2 fans, but I mean in the mainstream. Already U2 too often gets lumped into the same category as the elderly Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney. It's one reason I don't want the band to "go gray". U2 is still relevent, still great and they aren't old. No reason to look older than they are.

Miracle Drug

When I listen to it on the album, it just takes off..in concert, it's just good.

cypress said:

No way. Bullet live is excellent while the studio version just seemed blah. I rarely listen to the studio version anymore.. the live versions are just better, and a lot more interesting. Many here are tired of the song live, but I love it.. it is one of U2's most versatile songs.

See... the thing is I liked Bullet the way it was performed in the 80s... like on Rattle & Hum! That was excellent! But the 90s and 00s versions sound really weary to me! :crack:

gareth brown said:

my picks -

All of Zooropa.
With or Without You
The Unforgettable Fire
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still

Oh no!!!!!!!

All of Joshua Tree?????

No way. :no:

But most of ATYCLB besides Beautiful Day

Back
Top Bottom