U2 songs where the studio version overshadows the live version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the studio version of stay is a 1000 times better than the live version, the same can be said for staring at the sun, desire, angel of harlem and all the other songs they do acoustically on the b stage or wherever!
Also Pride live was never as good as the original.
I know I'm in the minority but I generally always prefer the studio version. However Who's Gonna Ride your wild horses was absolutely amazing on the vertigo tour!

An Cat Gav said:
the studio version of stay is a 1000 times better than the live version, the same can be said for staring at the sun, desire, angel of harlem and all the other songs they do acoustically on the b stage or wherever!
Also Pride live was never as good as the original.
I know I'm in the minority but I generally always prefer the studio version. However Who's Gonna Ride your wild horses was absolutely amazing on the vertigo tour!
Heh, that's funny, I think exactly the opposite of what you think. :lol:

Of all the songs you mentioned I prefer the live version, except for Wild Horses, of which I like the studio version more.

My picks:

-stay
-even better than the real thing (would be equal but bono always screws up the take me highers live)
-like a song
-zooropa
-staring at the sun

craigp said:
the constant flanger during earlier full band versions of desire ruins it totally!!
The Macphisto versions of it during the ZooTV encores? It's not my favourite version, but the middle of the song where they break it down and this drum machine beat comes out of nowhere is hilarious.

Zootlesque said:

See... the thing is I liked Bullet the way it was performed in the 80s... like on Rattle & Hum! That was excellent! But the 90s and 00s versions sound really weary to me! :crack:

What????? :ohmy:

Even the supreme ass-kicking Zoo TV version with Edge's finest ever solo????

Fair enough the recent ones have been OK but Zoo TV's Bullet was just awesome, far better than the studio versin.

I think Exit live was better than the studio too but Stay was better in the studio.

gareth brown said:
Haha! That'd be nice [the Running to Stand Still] they could easily pull it off if Bono played the piano but with Bullet the Blue Sky I've never heard a performance that lives up to the original simply because the guitar on the album is just too damn good. I doubt I'll hear my prayers answered and hear The Edge recreate that sound live on stage. :wink:

RTSS live on the ZooTV tour is the most beautiful thing U2 has ever done! It is totally different from the JT version of course, but it is true. Admittedly, the album version is far better than the Vertigo tour version, everyone would agree.

In reply to others, I loved Desire on the ZooTV tour as well. It is amazing. Not a fan of the acoustic version though.

One I think is fantastic in the studio and live. The "hear me coming" addition at the end is fantastic.

MW live is also brilliant- Edge's guitar at the end is the sexiest thing ever.

I thought Stay on ZooTV was quite good as well, though probably not as good as the album. I'm not crazy about the Elevation version.

Certainly the biggest let down in my book was Zooropa. It came across so flat, not sure why.

00Kevin said:
My picks:

-zooropa

What?!? Zooropa live? Is that even possible? I haven't seen U2 live yet (Japan was supposed to be my first) but I have the Sydney ZooTV, Slane Castle, Rattle & Hum, Boston Elevation, and Chicago Vertigo DVDs.

I can't see how they could really do Zooropa live in concert. Really most of that album was very much a studio album like the Beatles Srgt. Peppers. Very hard to duplicate outside of the studio.

In general I love everything U2 does live better than the studio, but Zooropa which is one of my favorite albums, and "Zooropa" one of my favorite songs I really can't see matching up live.

zooropa was performed three times in concert. all version were seriously abriged at about 2:30 i used to have some lying about... dunno where they are now

I always thought One hardly gets the emotion is deserves. Some people would say that Modena version is good, but I hate it. Strings=/=Better. I don't know, I just feel that even with the extra lyrics before the end it never really has any UMPH! :huh:

Oh and definitely the acoustic stage songs. Those were just boring. :lol:

Although With or Without You is a great song live I don't think it's ever as good as the studio version. And Miricale_Drug I agree with you about ASOH.

Miricale_Drug said:
Am i alone in thinking a sort of homecoming?

Not at all. While I do like the live versions, they do not come even close to the atmosphere produced on the album. This is one song that really lost too much magic live.

Canadiens1160 said:
I was listening to OOTS today and this question came to mind. I haven't heard any performance of this song live that rivals the studio track. Vocal overdubs for Bono at the climax of the song, the minimalist production for the first two verses of the album version, I just don't think it can be topped live.

They've never captured the part after 'under controlllllll' live like it should be.

Now I created this thread because so often it's the other case - live versions destroying the studio versions of U2 tracks.

Any other U2 songs where you think the studio is the best version?

New Years Day and Pride

jonnytakeawalk said:

Agreed! Add to the list:

With or without you- Bono absolutely nails the vocals on the studio track. It's impossible for him to do a better version live

One- The studio version of One is absolute perfection! i think it's just been played too much live and that's kind of sucked the emotion out of it

All I want is you- All I want is you is nothing without the strings! Live it just sounds very dull

Ever hear "All I Want Is You" from the January 10, 1990 Rotterdam show?

TheQuiet1 said:
Although With or Without You is a great song live I don't think it's ever as good as the studio version. And Miricale_Drug I agree with you about ASOH.

Have you ever heard the 10 minute version of With Or With Out from the July 4, 1987 Paris show?

Miricale_Drug said:
Am i alone in thinking a sort of homecoming?

I completely disagree. The version on Wide Awake sounds amazing, even though it is a soundcheck and not a true "live" version.
The guitar intro is much better and Bono sounds much more emotional. The studio version isn't bad, and does fit in well with the whole feel of The UF as an album, but it really doesnt compare to most live versions.

I think all of their songs sound better live. In my opinion the live versions portray the emotion of the song so much better and the passion for the songs come through so much more live

Zooropa (as has been said)
When Love Comes To Town (when sung by Bono only)
Stay (ZooTV full band version was close, but not quite)
Stuck In A Moment (a snoozer live)
OOTS (they still haven't figured out how to play this one live)
Pride (from ZooTV onward has been awful; pre ZooTV was superior live)

Back
Top Bottom