U2 Songs That Many People Seem to Dislike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Of these repeat offender songs, which one is your least favorite?

• Red Light

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Elvis Presley and America

Votes: 24 20.0%
  • Love is Blindness

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • When I Look at the World

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Discotheque

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Miami

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Van Diemen's Land

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Okay, after looking through the "Worst of" thread, I picked out some songs that seem to be repeat offenders, and I thought I'd put together this little poll about songs which *may* have been *minor* musical mis-steps on the *brilliant* parts of Bono, Edge, Larry, and Adam. Of course, this thread is in *no* way meant to malign the overall genius of the band. And this poll in no way reflects my own overall choices on the part of not-so-wonderful U2 songs; I tried to stay with songs that many people seem to dislike. So, in other words, don't shoot the messenger.

(Disclaimer ended, please drive through.)

Are we to be voting for our least favourite of those songs then?

I have to say that I love most of the songs. Velevt Dress is even one of my favourite songs. I just really can't stand Elvis Presley and America......

I'd say Miami is my least fav of those but it's not my least fav U2 song.
:eek: @ Love Is Blindness being on the list. That's one of my fav songs.

I don't have a song that I really, really hate! BUT I do like Elvis Presley and America! It's very different and that's why I like!! I had no idea that others didn't like this song at all! I guess you learn something new everyday!:yes:

wertsie said:

Seriously! That's one of my very favorite R&H songs!

EXACTLY!
VDL, AIWIY, and Heartland really make R&H.
It saddens me that people don't like VDL

It was hard for me not to pick Miami because it's such a terrible song. But I had to go with Discotheque- not only do I hate it, it did a lot of damage to the band's reputation (okay I don't want to hear it, we know how much many of you here love it) but to a great many loving fans, casual fans and the general public it made them look like a joke. The awful, stupid, ugly, foolish, Village Idiot, I mean people, video only added to the stigma of foolishness. It was like, WTF? What's wrong with those guys? It also has some of the dumbest lyrics ever written by anybody- boomcha? Bubblegum? They became a joke for awhile. To this day people still joke on it and I tell them they aren't like that anymore! It was an embarrassment to the band and their legacy. Those are not just my words, the word 'embarrassing' used to describe the song and the video has been a recurrent theme in many I have talked to in person and email, and not all of them are old, some are teens! It was not a good move for their carreer and it took them a long time to overcome it. That may not be what some of you want to hear but to some degree it is the undeniable truth. So not only is it a bad song, it was bad for the band, so it gets my vote for worst. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Goodbye sister disco
my dancing's left you behind
goodbye now you're solo
black plastic deaf dumb and blind
Goodbye sister disco, now I know,
I go where the music hits my SOUL!

-Pete Townshend

GypsyHeartgirl said:
It was hard for me not to pick Miami because it's such a terrible song. But I had to go with Discotheque- not only do I hate it, it did a lot of damage to the band's reputation (okay I don't want to hear it, we know how much many of you here love it) but to a great many loving fans, casual fans and the general public it made them look like a joke. The awful, stupid, ugly, foolish, Village Idiot, I mean people, video only added to the stigma of foolishness. It was like, WTF? What's wrong with those guys?

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Yes, that's really true. I think it was a poor choice for them to release that as the first single off of POP. I know that it turned a lot of people off. I wasn't one of them, mind you, but I know a lot of people who absolutely hate that song. I think it also colored opinions of the rest of the album too, and unfairly so. I mean, up until Discotheque was released as a single, there was all kinds of stuff about U2 on TV and then after Discotheque...nothing. I hadn't even seen the music videos for the other singles off POP up until a few months ago!

I still really like the song, however!

wertsie said:

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Yes, that's really true. I think it was a poor choice for them to release that as the first single off of POP. I know that it turned a lot of people off. I wasn't one of them, mind you, but I know a lot of people who absolutely hate that song. I think it also colored opinions of the rest of the album too, and unfairly so. I mean, up until Discotheque was released as a single, there was all kinds of stuff about U2 on TV and then after Discotheque...nothing. I hadn't even seen the music videos for the other singles off POP up until a few months ago!

I still really like the song, however!

Thank you! I appreciate your fairness! A lot of the Pop lovers here refuse to acknowledge this, but it did happen. Was I one of them? It was too late. The K-Mart press conference thing and that TV special they tried to do turned me off before I ever saw the video (but of course it only added insult to injury) I turned the TV off before the show was finished, very depressed and dejected.

Last edited:
From the list, I would have to say EP and America.

My own opinion thoguh would be New Year's Day. I don't know why, but I could never get into the song. I could see the great lyrics and sound, also the importance it had in the history of U2, but I just seem it skip it every time I play "War".

When I have heard it live, be it in person or on a bootleg over the past 10 years, the passion from the album seems to have been lost. It was a statement, a stance, and for some reason I don't think U2 mean it when they play it anymore, and has really affected my opinion on the song to the point I cannot listen to it.

Very strange......

U2's more Frivolous songs I think come of quite well, esp when played live. Tryin' to throw, Discotheque, Elevation are fun to listen to and having many Friends who only "know of" U2 rather than follow them tend to like these songs, not looking for passion or deeper meaning while being put of by songs like New year's day and Running to a stand still.

There are many different sides of U2 the serious, the fun, the mad. I love to take it all in and enjoy it while I can, because it will be a long time before a band as complex as U2 will be around again.

Blimm' heck, I seem to have lost myself, I better stop.

In thconclusion "Bat out of hell" is over rated.

Miami is one of U2's best ever songs live, unfortunately the studio version is very mediocre, due to the first half of the song which sounds very muddled, that being said, the riff that The Edge uses during PopMart is fucking brilliant, and the seguay to Bullet the Blue Sky is one of the highlights of that tour

Love is Blindness rates very high with me, about as good as any other album closer

Discotheque is a decent song, though I usually skip it on Pop and head straight to Do You Feel Loved, but I love the live version from PopMart, with another brilliant seguay into Velvet Dress (another song I prefer live)

I like Elvis Presley and America, Bono is very raw and emotional in that song...

the only U2 songs I loathe are Red Light and The Refugee

The Wanderer said:

Discotheque is a decent song, though I usually skip it on Pop and head straight to Do You Feel Loved, but I love the live version from PopMart, with another brilliant seguay into Velvet Dress (another song I prefer live)

the only U2 songs I loathe are Red Light and The Refugee

Yep...Discotheque--->Velvet Dress was/is brilliant.

Hey, just curious...Why do people dislike Red Light?

i voted for when i look at the world. 2nd least would be miami. everything else on the list i love to death. not too fond of van diemen's land, but it's not one of my lest favourite. i'd put it in the middle.

why anyone would vote for discotheque, velvet dress, or love is blindness is beyond me. :(

boom-cha boom-cha DISCOTEQUE boom-cha boom-cha

<-----------------------------------------------
How do you like my avatar then???:laugh::laugh:

It is funny that Discoteque charted higher than any other U2 single since it.

It wasn't their best single/video though:bono:

GypsyHeartgirl said:
. The awful, stupid, ugly, foolish, Village Idiot, I mean people, video only added to the stigma of foolishness. ______________________________________________
:bono:

LOVE MUSCLE said:
Anyone who picks Van Diemens Land will have to deal with ME

Um.. god that song blows. It hurts my ears.

But When I look at the world??????????? :sad:

wertsie said:

Hey, just curious...Why do people dislike Red Light?

I've never understood why. It seems like a straightforward respectable song with a darn good horn solo. Of course, the majority of people who voted in this poll decided to be conformists and went for it as usual. I would be more understanding if Refugee was the song that was most often ranked "worst" by U2 fans--I personally don't dislike it but it is kind of...hmm. But Red Light? What is the big deal?

I voted for Discotheque, of course. And I'm right. Yep, I like Miami better than Discotheque.

scatteroflight, why is it if someone says they hate Red Light they are some mindless conformist, while if they say they dislike something from Zooropa or Pop , then they are standing up for what's right and just in this world, wtf???

can you just accept that many people here truly like the that era of U2 and honest to god hate songs like Red Light and The Refugee, and no, they are not some brain-washed lemmings as you would like to brand them?

that being said, I love each and every one of you, even salome :love:

I think The Refugee is missing on your list
lots of people seem to dislike that one
I think Van Diemen's Land is an ok song but nothing special in the U2 catalogue

Back
Top Bottom