U2 songs still ahead of their time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jag0918

Refugee
Listening to the radio today, then listening to some of U2 older stuff, I still feel some of those songs were way ahead of their time compared to the crap on the radio today...example?
Until the End of the World & Whose Gonna Ride Your wild Horses (ALBUM VERSION)....
Plus I think the Bomb cut SMILE would have been a great radio song also. That tune should have never been cut from the album.

With or Without You and One to me sound timeless, I guess because they still sound like nothing else out there.

U2 songs that will live forever are Pride, Streets, With or Without You, One, and Beautiful Day. These are songs that will be around till the end of days on radios. Maybe ISHFWIALF and in a few years Gloria will be a hymn.

One
The Fly
UTEOTW
Numb
Lemon
Zooropa
Mofo
Discoteche
Do You Feel Loved?
God II
Acrobat - (The world will never fully digest this one):wink:
Streets

I have trouble finding U2 that are behind or even in their time. This band has something special.

Sken said:
With or Without You and One to me sound timeless, I guess because they still sound like nothing else out there.

:yes:

I think that's what makes a timeless song -- It has to be completely different to anything past or present.... And good, yeah, it has to be good too.

That's not to say everything good and different is timeless, they just have a chance to be. You can't really say when a song comes out, how it's going to age.

XHendrix24 said:
Compare Staring at the Sun to the new Gorillaz single.

Pop was definately ahead of its time. :yes:

I noticed that shameless rip-off of Staring at the Sun too. :up: :up:

I'll have to agree with Beautiful Day. It's just an absolutely perfect beautiful pop/rock song. Everytime I hear it on the radio it only reafirms my faith that U2 is the greatest living band.

XHendrix24 said:

When the iPod commercial came on and I heard the song the first thing that popped into my head was "Summer stretching on the grass."

XHendrix24 said:

I thought I was just crazy when I thought of Staring at the Sun, good to know I'm not the only one...!

Yes, a lot of U2 songs were ahead of their time...this album? It's hard to say. Sometimes is certainly ahead of most other tripe on the radio, but there's sooooo much more music out there... I don't know. Mercy is...I can't even describe what Mercy is, but it better be on the next album. However, no way it could ever end up on mainstream radio.

Back
Top Bottom