U2 Songs most hated by Interferencers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In semi-agreeance (I don't think that's a word) with GypsyHeartGirl's post, I have to say that nearly all long-time U2 fans I know either hated POP or never gave it a chance because of Discotheque...just the way it is.
PS I love POP (besides Miami ofcourse)
And by the way, let's not be nasty in here, LOOK WHAT'S GOING ON IN YOUR WORLD!

------------------
Mac Phisto's N.Y. Headquarters

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
It just goes to show... even those that seem so intelligent can be so dumb in reality
smile.gif

Uh oh. This is going to turn into another one of these "80's lovers suck" vs. "90's lovers suck" threads. In particular, an "80's lovers are just plain stupid and shallow" thread. Wanderer is right, this has been done too many times.

It really has been done too many times. There is no need to get into this again and flame each other for our personal taste. Bullet, the true dumb person is one who disses someone and disregards their opinion because it opposes theirs and they don't agree with it. For the record, I am not a 90's hater, only a POP hater. I LOVE AB, I love Stay and much of Zooropa and I love and treasure ATYCLB.

Alright, there's not a U2 song I really dislike. A lot that people seem to bash i really like, but anyway here is my perception of commonly disliked songs (but not by me)

Boy: The Ocean
October: Is That All?
War: Refugee, Red Light
Unf Fire: Indian Summer Sky, EP and America, 4th of July
Joshua Tree: Perhaps Trip Through your Wires
Rattle and Hum: None I can think of too much.. no one seems to rave about to many R&H songs positively or negatively
Achtung Baby: only Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.. and not here but on other discussion boards people seemed to dislike Love is Blindness a lot.. go figure
Zooropa: Babyface, Some Days are Better than others.. and crashed car and wanderer to a lesser degree
Pop: Miami, Playboy Mansion, and to a lesser extent Wake Up Dead Man and If You Wear That Velvet Dress
ATYCLB: Wild Honey, Peace On Earth (though not much recently) New York, and Grace.

All I can say to the people who don't like Grace is "haaaahaa". it takes the right mood for you to really get into this song, but I really got into it, and it is very good.

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
I don't hate you, I admire you for having the guts to say it! I can't understand how those POP songs are so popular here, I have never met anyone in real life who can stand them! Discoteque, MOFO, Miami, and Playboy Mansion are not only the worst U2 songs I ever heard they are among some of the worst overall. They really suck. I realize there are a disproportionate number of POP fans on this forum compared to U2 fans as a whole, and the type who defend it are the type to flame and say things like 'you die' but you know what? I really don't give a shit. POP sucks, and someone needs to stand up like the kid in the Emperor's New Clothes and say it. If I don't speak for the forum here I speak for many, many good U2 fans who agree who I know but do not have the time or the interest to sit here and rock this forum the way we do. Their voice needs to be heard, even if it has to from Gypsy, the POP-hating pariah of Interference.

Come on now Gypsy, tell us how you really feel.

This all being said, I feel I am no less a fan, as a matter of fact, I have been a fan for 20 years and am probably a better, more emotionally attached, and devoted fan than most of you.

I won't argue that you're not more emotionally attached since you actually hold a look and a music period personally against the boys, to this day (sometimes you just need to let stuff go)...

But I will argue against you being a better and more devoted than most of us. And I think the reasons are clear. No one here is clearly a "better" fan than the other - the point of being a fan is not to be in competition with other fans but to be in league with them. And as for devotion, there are many of us here who accepted U2's Pop style and understood that U2 doesn't have to cater to what we want all the time, without taking it personally and not listening to them much during that period, so who would that make more devoted?
smile.gif

Anyway, I don't mean that last part all that seriously because, really - arguing over who is more devoted? I couldn't care less. But I think making that claim is pretty dodgy.

Aside from filler songs like red right and 4th of July, songs I never liked include:

Mysterious Ways- yep, my very first "WTF" U2 song!

Even Better Than...
Discotheque

Okay, musically I have no problem with the above, but the lyrics...forget it.

So Cruel
Some Days
Trying to Throw Your Arms...
In a Little While

Stuck in a Moment (I can get into the live version since you can actually here the Edge's guitar in concert)

Elevation - all the rhyming-- sounds like "The Name Game"
Numb

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Originally posted by StarsnStripes:
Elevation - all the rhyming-- sounds like "The Name Game"

Oh, LOL, there are always new and interesting ways to insult that song.
smile.gif

Boy: Into the Heart
October: I've always only listened to Rejoice, October, Tomorrow, and Gloria, so I'm not even sure what I "hate" from the rest (yes, the truth about the one gap in my musical knowledge of U2 has come out!)
War: Red Light and Surrender
Unforgettable Fire: Elvis Presley and America
Joshua Tree: I don't hate this song, but I've never been too fond of One Tree Hill
Rattle and Hum: God Part II, Still Haven't Found + gospel singers
Achtung Baby: sorry, this one's unassailable
Zooropa: Babyface (YUCK!), The Wanderer (sounds like Cash doing bad karaoke to me)
Pop: Discotheque, Velvet Dress
ATYCLB: New York, Peace on Earth

Very interesting thread, as long as we can keep it from degrading as it seems to want to do.

------------------
you've got the right shoes to get you through the night

sTAND BY FOR TRANSMISSION

songs , songs , songs ...
U2 Album is a living creature , if you pull out some sound from it , you'll break it

So let it go , Let it go

ZOOROPA-PoP a combination of Albums which always will be a part of me , in my head , in my blood . Joshua tree

U2 history is almost over

Maybe not ........

i do not listen to the whole 'October' record , except "October " and "Gloria"

WALK ON

Actually it is an interesting expirience to be on LSD , and wrote these awful stupid notes

WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME .................................................................................................................................................................................... .................................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................
tRANSMISSION oVER

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
---Stream-of-consciousness-gibberish---

Response A:
Sir, slowly step away from the drugs.

Response B:
I'll have what he's having.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 09-19-2001).]

When Did it all gone wrong
Love Smart Drive - my girlfriend ,
wink.gif

DDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSIIIIIREE
Burning , i'm burning baby ...
You make me...

zoo23.jpg

Originally posted by Diemen:
Response A:
Sir, slowly step away from the drugs.

Response B:
I'll have what he's having.
biggrin.gif

Exactly.

------------------
I hear unborn chicken voices in my head.

here's my list :

Boy - hm...no one I really can't stand. The electric co is a great song, but I think Bono ruins it a bit on the album version, his voice just sounds so odd...

October - Fire. It doesn't do anything for me.

War - I love them all, although I think the album version of "40" is kinda poor... I love it on "under a blood red ky" tho.

Uf- I like all.

Joshua tree - I love all here too.. but if there's one thing I'd change on this record it'd be the end on "one tree hill". y'know where Bono sings "oh great ocean..." I don't like that part.

R&H - Love rescue me (sorry, but I can't stand it)

Achtung baby - this is my fave record so I have nothing to complain about (...for a change)!

Zooropa - hm. I really don't know about Lemon. half of me loves it, and the other part thinks it's kind of annyoing. I guess it depends on which mood I'm in, it's a that kind of song ya'know. also, "the first time"..

pop - nothing, I love all.

ATYCLB - I'm gonna get flamed for this one, but I think "in a little while" is cheesy. especially that "you turn me oo-ouun oo-oon" part...
wild honey is a mediocre song, but still kinda cute.

there ya have it.
smile.gif
Hope I not come off as a whining bastard now, with all these little remarks I have on so many songs ... I really don't HATE any u2 song. all these songs I mentioned as mediocre still is great compared to most musicians work
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by U2FReAk (edited 09-19-2001).]

War: everything except "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (and "New Year's Day" if I'm in a right mood).

R&H: "Love Rescue Me" is pretty unbearable.

Achtung Baby: "So Cruel", "Love Is Blindness", "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"

POP: "Miami"

None of the other albums have songs that I REALLY hate.

hey guys...

i thinj that elvis presly & america is probably the worst u2 song, seems silly that that song is on there and three sunrises isn't. i can't understand that at all. for me pesonally, i dont think there is another weak song, if anything it would be babyface of zooropa, kinda dodgy that one.

------------------
poptart33

Songs I skip, but don't necessarily hate are:

Boy: Twilight
October: Brick
War: Refugee
UF: EP and America
JT: Exit
R&H: Love Rescue Me
AB: So Cruel
Zooropa: Daddy's Gonna Pay for your crashed car, Babyface
POP: MOFO, Miami, Please, Playboy Mansion
ATYCLB:Grace

------------------
***Just a U2 lovin' girl!***

I won't argue that you're not more emotionally attached since you actually hold a look and a music period personally against the boys, to this day (sometimes you just need to let stuff go)...

That's a good point, actually. I think I'm so in love with U2 right now, the new album and having seen them for the first time on this tour, etc., that the weird days when I became a fan and adored their old stuff while not liking the new stuff a whole lot have faded a good deal.
smile.gif
I don't expect them to always do music I love in the future either, because in the past they haven't always. I just really, really hope I love whatever comes next!

I know, I know. But I'm also one of those weird people who actually like Love Rescue Me.
biggrin.gif

Alright, you're partially forgiven as I am also a rare fan of Love Rescue Me. In high school it was one of my favorites from R&H. I didn't realize that so many people disliked it until I came to Interference.

Boy-an cat dubh
October-Is that all?....you can't really skip that because it is the last song
War-Red light most definately
UF-EP and America
JT-trip through your wires
R and Hum-start skipping around "Still"
Achtung-i like real thing and mysterious ways but i have heard them way too much
Zooropa-some days are better
Pop-Please....just because the live and single versions are so much better
Behind-Wild Honey....song is too throw away for me.

Back
Top Bottom