U2 Song You Dislike, but that Most U2 Fans Like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
In honor of Carmanah's thread asking which U2 songs we like, despite the fact that most don't, I thought I'd ask the reverse question. That is, which U2 song(s) do you really dislike, despite the fact that most U2 fans seem to adore it (them).

For me, it would be "Bullet the Blue Sky." I never liked this song on JT. There was this exquisite mood created with the first 3 songs on JT and then "Bullet..." comes along and destroys it all. U2 have consistenly performed this song in concert and the ONLY time I enjoyed it was during the PopMart Tour when they really funked it up. :D That extra funky beat to "Bullet..." made me enjoy it. But on the Elevation Tour, U2 returned to their previous way of playing the song and, despite its message, despite Bono's enthusiasm, despite Edge's wailing guitars, it just never did anything for me. Yet, most U2 fans seem to worship this song.

hmmm...I'm gonna have to go away and ponder this for a bit. I am one of those sycophantic fans that can't seem to help liking just about everything U2 has ever done. :huh:

But there must be something....*goes to think*

Van Diemens land and most everything off rattle and hum.

ACCEPT

Desire
ISHFWILF
Pride
Angel of Harlem
Heartland
God Part II
Bullet
All I want is you

I completely agree about BTBS. I like it MUCH better live than on the album, but I could definitely live without it.

Also, I'm not very fond of Van Diemans Land either. Edge's voice sounds like he's trying too hard. :silent: :eek: :(

*runs away before Interferencers show up at her door armed with pitchforks and torches

Oh god.. I'm feeling really stupid right now.

Van Diemens land sounds like Willie Nelson is singing.

Am I wrong??

Edge?? :confused: :scratch:

Sicy said:
Oh god.. I'm feeling really stupid right now.

Van Diemens land sounds like Willie Nelson is singing.

Am I wrong??

Edge?? :confused: :scratch:

I hear ya, Sicy!

Edge has clearly shown he has a rather good singing voice, sometimes even better than Bono (on a given night).

But in that song, he sounds HORRIBLE. For years I thought Edge was a terrible singer because when he finally had his own song all to himself, he came across like this nasally Willie Nelson. Blah.

However, I'm not sure most U2 fans *love* this song. I'm under the impression it's a mixed crowd on this one. ;)

Yeah, definitely BTBS...I've just never loved it all that much. When I got more into guitar playing, I began to appreciate it just for how amazing Edge is in it, but still...

Umm...as for Van Diemens Land...yeah. I :heart::edge: - huge fan - but, yeah...I have some trouble with that one... :slant:

I don't really know if most fans liek the song, but I'm surprised 'Even Better than the Real Thing' doesn't show up on the periodical "U2 songs you don't like"-lists

avarage

meegannie said:

*runs away before Interferencers show up at her door armed with pitchforks and torches

Wasn't this the whole point of the thread--to name a song that will incite other U2 fans to do this to you?

I'm not that fond of "Beautiful Day." It just doesn't do that much for me. It's almost like the band is trying too hard to be uplifting. The live version is a definite improvement over the studio version though.

Last edited:
Sicy said:
Van Diemens land and most everything off rattle and hum.

EXCEPT

Desire
ISHFWILF
Pride
Angel of Harlem
Heartland
God Part II
Bullet
All I want is you

I gotta agree with Sicy on this one. I don't really like the gospel version of ISHFWILF either- I'm just not into gospel music.

Mofo. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who don't like it, but a lot of fans seem to be really passionate about it, and Bono has said it's the heaviest song they've ever done or whatever, and I despise it. I can't listen to it without wanting to smash the stereo--though I haven't tried for a long time. I also hate the lyrics. To me, they represent what I dislike most about Bono's lyrics--and he's one of my favourite lyricists.

I don't like ISHFWILF, One or Kite nearly as much as many people do, but I still like them very much.

Well, everyone knows I hate Pop, but that doesn't count since it's not something dearly loved by 'most' fans off this forum.;) We're talking about the old standards here. You might be surprised I am not too fond of Bad, Bullet, ISHWILF and MW and sometimes even skip them on the albums :eek: but I do think time has given them both a classic quality and sound they didn't have years ago, well that's just me maybe. I've never hated them like I do Pop, but I didn't like them as much as most other U2 hits or songs.

[color=royal blue]Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
UTEOTW
Acrobat

I FEEL SO GUILTY bc I know these are supposed to be BIG U2 songs, but.......I just don't feel 'em like I do other songs.
[/color]

speedracer said:

Wasn't this the whole point of the thread--to name a song that will incite other U2 fans to do this to you?

Only if the U2 fan is immature, foolish, vindictive and has too much time on his/her hands.

I may be foolish myself here, but I would like to think the members of Interference have far too much class and intelligence to be so banal and spiteful. :D

Last edited:
i think that all along the watchtower is not so good. i know they didnt write it, but i just dont dig the song.

i asked ed, and we both agreed we dont like New York that much. but maybe that doesnt qualify for this thread, because most U2 fans have to like it.....do they?

scatteroflight said:
Mofo. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who don't like it, but a lot of fans seem to be really passionate about it, and Bono has said it's the heaviest song they've ever done or whatever, and I despise it. I can't listen to it without wanting to smash the stereo--though I haven't tried for a long time. I also hate the lyrics. To me, they represent what I dislike most about Bono's lyrics--and he's one of my favourite lyricists.

Scat - I'd like to hear you elaborate on this -- what is it that you dislike most about Bono's lyrics. Mofo *is* much different than his approach to most other songs. I think I may agree with youl, but I'd like to hear where you're coming from....

Love Is Blindness. Sure, Edge's guitar is nice and all, but there's the cringe worthy Bono rhyme I took the money/honey which I find extremely grating and unfortunately kills off the song at that point. I find it drags a bit too. Well, now that's done, I shall put on my flame-resistant suit so as to avoid death

ISHFWILF
WTSHNN
pride
...actually i'm not fond of a lot of the 80's stuff...sorry guys

i love i will follow, all i want is you, wowy,bad, NYD, desire and sometimes SBS which i prefer live....but on the whole most of the 80's stuff i could skip.

*ducks as hundreds of sharp sticks come flying in my direction*

hey...i said i was sorry....*whoosh*

*runs away*

doctorwho said:
For me, it would be "Bullet the Blue Sky." I never liked this song on JT. There was this exquisite mood created with the first 3 songs on JT and then "Bullet..." comes along and destroys it all. But on the Elevation Tour, U2 returned to their previous way of playing the song and, despite its message, despite Bono's enthusiasm, despite Edge's wailing guitars, it just never did anything for me. Yet, most U2 fans seem to worship this song.

I FEEL THE SAME WAY!

amen brotha

Kite, New York, Stuck, Miss Sarajevo, Sweetest Thing, Bad, Pride annoy me. Talk about over played.

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:
hmmm...I'm gonna have to go away and ponder this for a bit. I am one of those sycophantic fans that can't seem to help liking just about everything U2 has ever done. :huh:

I'm the same way...Sometimes maybe I dislike a song for a day or two, but then I always end up liking it again!

STREETS and PRIDE. :mad:

I was already SO over those songs back in the 80s...they were played TO DEATH on the radio....which I think is why a lot of people I know don't like U2 because they've only heard a handful of songs played ad nauseum, and they don't know what the guys are truly capable of producing.

I know they bring down the house at a U2 show, but it's all I could do to keep from putting my fingers in my hears and chanting "lalalalalala...."

MixingBliss said:

Scat - I'd like to hear you elaborate on this -- what is it that you dislike most about Bono's lyrics. Mofo *is* much different than his approach to most other songs. I think I may agree with youl, but I'd like to hear where you're coming from....

Well, I'll try. I should qualify that, actually--Bono quotes Yeats, my favourite poet, in this song (looking for the face I had before the world was made) so I probably shouldn't say I despise it! But overall I do dislike the lyrics. These lyrics, to me, are from Bono's "Look at me, I've got SOUL, I may be a white Irishman but I can be black and funky too..." style. The whole "holy dunc spacejunk" and "baby Jesus under the trash" just seem like he's trying sooo hard and saying very very little. To me. I know a lot of people disagree, but that's how I feel. Another song whose lyrics I really dislike is IGWSHA, for similar reasons--"the blind leading the blond" etc. Like he's trying very hard to be clever and funky, and it just annoys me.

But my biggest problem with Mofo is the music, which I really can't stand. If I liked the music, I would probably be a bit more forgiving of the lyrics! Though I do like IGWSHA musically and still dislike the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom