U2 Song You Dislike, but that Most U2 Fans Like - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2002, 12:28 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Love Is Blindness. Sure, Edge's guitar is nice and all, but there's the cringe worthy Bono rhyme I took the money/honey which I find extremely grating and unfortunately kills off the song at that point. I find it drags a bit too. Well, now that's done, I shall put on my flame-resistant suit so as to avoid death

Old 06-29-2002, 04:50 AM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Mofo - an outstanding dislike!!!! also New York and Peace on Earth - plus not a big fan of Angel of Harlem
Always loved Bullet enormously, but I think they needed to realise it was time to let go, new tryhard reworking just appalling.

Pamela

Old 06-29-2002, 09:51 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 PM
ISHFWILF
WTSHNN
pride
...actually i'm not fond of a lot of the 80's stuff...sorry guys

i love i will follow, all i want is you, wowy,bad, NYD, desire and sometimes SBS which i prefer live....but on the whole most of the 80's stuff i could skip.

*ducks as hundreds of sharp sticks come flying in my direction*

hey...i said i was sorry....*whoosh*

*runs away*
Old 06-29-2002, 10:15 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

With or Without You (though I love the Rattle and Hum movie version)

Kite

Stay
Old 06-29-2002, 10:18 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Re: U2 Song You Dislike, but that Most U2 Fans Like

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
For me, it would be "Bullet the Blue Sky." I never liked this song on JT. There was this exquisite mood created with the first 3 songs on JT and then "Bullet..." comes along and destroys it all. But on the Elevation Tour, U2 returned to their previous way of playing the song and, despite its message, despite Bono's enthusiasm, despite Edge's wailing guitars, it just never did anything for me. Yet, most U2 fans seem to worship this song.

I FEEL THE SAME WAY!

amen brotha

Kite, New York, Stuck, Miss Sarajevo, Sweetest Thing, Bad, Pride annoy me. Talk about over played.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:23 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
hmmm...I'm gonna have to go away and ponder this for a bit. I am one of those sycophantic fans that can't seem to help liking just about everything U2 has ever done.

I'm the same way...Sometimes maybe I dislike a song for a day or two, but then I always end up liking it again!
Old 06-29-2002, 11:43 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Pride
Mofo
Elevation (overplayed? overhyped? overkill.)
Acrobat
WOWY
Old 06-29-2002, 12:01 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Streets (way to overplayed)*locks door*
BTBS
Acrobat *shuts curtains*
Mofo

I'm sure there's more...these are the first ones that come to mind.
Old 06-29-2002, 01:34 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

STREETS and PRIDE.

I was already SO over those songs back in the 80s...they were played TO DEATH on the radio....which I think is why a lot of people I know don't like U2 because they've only heard a handful of songs played ad nauseum, and they don't know what the guys are truly capable of producing.

I know they bring down the house at a U2 show, but it's all I could do to keep from putting my fingers in my hears and chanting "lalalalalala...."
Old 06-29-2002, 01:47 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MixingBliss

Scat - I'd like to hear you elaborate on this -- what is it that you dislike most about Bono's lyrics. Mofo *is* much different than his approach to most other songs. I think I may agree with youl, but I'd like to hear where you're coming from....
Well, I'll try. I should qualify that, actually--Bono quotes Yeats, my favourite poet, in this song (looking for the face I had before the world was made) so I probably shouldn't say I despise it! But overall I do dislike the lyrics. These lyrics, to me, are from Bono's "Look at me, I've got SOUL, I may be a white Irishman but I can be black and funky too..." style. The whole "holy dunc spacejunk" and "baby Jesus under the trash" just seem like he's trying sooo hard and saying very very little. To me. I know a lot of people disagree, but that's how I feel. Another song whose lyrics I really dislike is IGWSHA, for similar reasons--"the blind leading the blond" etc. Like he's trying very hard to be clever and funky, and it just annoys me.

But my biggest problem with Mofo is the music, which I really can't stand. If I liked the music, I would probably be a bit more forgiving of the lyrics! Though I do like IGWSHA musically and still dislike the lyrics.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:58 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ISHFWILF - I totally accept it's "classic" status and Edge's guitar is as delicious as ever, but to me it exemplifies everything I dislike about some of Bono's late-80s mock-operatic, look-how-strongly-I-feel-about-bloody-everything singing. It really does make me cringe.

One (album version) - any live version is pure heaven, but I've always hated One as it sounds on AB, mostly because of Bono's too-nasally singing.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:07 AM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:32 AM

Elevation
Old 06-30-2002, 02:31 AM   #33
Refugee

Streets
New Years Day
Pride
Beautiful Day
Old 07-01-2002, 01:33 AM   #34

Bad and I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For

For some reason I just dont like the two.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:40 AM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 05:32 PM
For me it has to be Angel of Harlem.

I love it when it's performed live and *I'm* in the audience... in fact, Angel of Harlem is a highlight when everyone sings along...

But I'm so sick of it. It's just repetitive after a while... much like any song I suppose... but it's one popular U2 single I'm not crazy over.

As for the song Kite? I remember when people on Wire were polling on "what ATYCLB song would you like them to play live next?"

And Kite was an overwhelming majority. Kite, while I don't mind it, is one of my least favourite songs off of the album, but I find a lot of U2 fans love it more than other ATYCLB songs...
Old 07-01-2002, 10:58 AM   #36
Acrobat

Sweetest Thing - Don't know why...
Old 07-01-2002, 01:31 PM   #37
War Child

I'm not real crazy about "Stuck In A Moment" or "Wake Up Dead Man". EBTRT can get a bit annoying as well.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:35 PM   #38
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Drowning Man. I don't skip it, I just don't think it's extraordinary.

With or Without You. Just boring. I skip it on every bootleg it's on (which is a lot, since they've pretty much played it at every show since they wrote it).

lso most of ATYCLB, except Kite, In A Little While, and Wild Honey (I can stomach the first four tracks, but once Peace On Earth gets going, I can never bring myself to keep listening).

I also skip live versions of Pride, although the studio version is still something special in the context of the Unforgettable Fire (hate hearing it on the radio, though).
Old 07-01-2002, 02:41 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

Babyface
EBTTRT
When Love Comes to Town
Old 07-01-2002, 03:00 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
With or Without You. Just boring. I skip it on every bootleg it's on (which is a lot, since they've pretty much played it at every show since they wrote it).

lso most of ATYCLB, except Kite, In A Little While, and Wild Honey (I can stomach the first four tracks, but once Peace On Earth gets going, I can never bring myself to keep listening).
I agree completely. I used to be really crazy about the rest of ATYCLB, but now I can only force myself to listen up to Wild Honey (and occasionally New York) but I just can't listen to the rest. Grace is.. well.. I have to say it: it makes me embarassed to be a U2 fan when I hear that. I don't know why, but I just feel embarassed -- embarassed as in embarassment if I was caught listening to the Backstreet Boys.

I get really sick of WOWY as well, but I actually really like it sometimes. I have to be in the mood.

New Years Day: I've always hated this song. I HATE it. I am so sick of it live and I hate the album version. I also really am sick of the album version of Where the Streets Have No Name, but I still like the live version.