U2 song as a picture--??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I'm trying to come up with an idea for my next project at the art studio. I'm going to do a painting of a U2 song! What if someone gave you the assignment of a U2 song as a picture? Which one would you do? Honestly, right now I have no idea. It could be any one of *dozens*.

I would go with "The Unforgettable Fire". It mentions fire and ice there, so that would look cool. "WTSHNN" "Running to Stand Still"...actually, most of JT would make an interesting painting.

Are you going to base on the lyrics or the music? Because I think if the sounds of AB or Pop were to be painted it would look really cool. I would make it all bright colors, with some dark colors in the background.

This sounds like an interesting project. I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Last edited:
Verte this is an excellent idea! Put it in PLEBA and you'll get more response! :happy:

How about this for In God's Country

jtband8.jpg

Last edited:
It'll be some lyrics. I suck as a figure drawer, so it won't have pix of the band in there. I have a pretty abstract style (my avatar is one of my paintings, in case you didn't know) It'll be some imagery from the lyrics. My favorite U2 album is AB so I'm thinking EBTTRT........flying by the sun.........hm........then again some of the "protest" lyrics, like SBS, are very appealing also.

Last edited:
mobonofo said:
Alex Decends Into Hell For A Bottle of Milk!

Yesterday I have just delivered an illustration inspired for this song as homework

Always I have thought that Heartland is perfect for something like that

So Cruel

"Her heart is racing, you can't keep up
The night is bleeding like a cut
Between the horses of love and lust
We are trampled underfoot"

Except that could be hard to paint a picture too.

Good Luck.

In my graduating year at high school in my art class we had to have a theme and I chose U2 songs.. I did a couple that turned out pretty well, and some that didn't..

I was going to do "love like a screaming flower dying every hour" from So Cruel, but it didn't get past sketch stage, though I think it could be really cool.

I did WTSHNN as a person in darkness at one side of the page reaching his hand through into a bright light on the other side with shards of glass spraying out.

Running to stand still was a big pair of marker eyes with very abstract seven towers in the background and then I tried to do a version of the junkie-bono from when they do it live on the zootv tour, except as a girl... i was never happy with the figure, but the rest was pretty cool.

mothers of the disappeared was black soldiers taking a young ghostly looking man away into the night forest, that one worked pretty well.

I tried to do bad, but it sucked, and I won't discuss it here :p I think that song has huge potential though, but it's tricky... I think the key would be to somehow show a lot of turmoil in an unchanging person or non-descript entity

I tried to do Please sorta based on the video.. with a surreal black and white street that got more distorted as it went on (streets capsizing, spilling over down the drain), with people lying dead along the street and the silhouettes of two men with briefcases walking up the street (you could only feel your own pain). I was going to do the girl with the sign that said "please" hanging roudn her neck, but it didn't quite work out. The only colour in the painting was blood on the street and an Irish flag in the background, though the girl probly would have been in colour. It was a potentially good idea (I thought), but it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.

The best one was Bullet the Blue Sky, which was a silhouette of a fighter jet in front of a scene of mayhem and destruction and the sky in the background had a hint of an american flag, but the stars were crooked and falling down. I wish i had a pic i could post of it... my class voted it best individual work of the show :) .

So that's some ideas... I've had some other ones and there's a lot of songs that I thought would be really cool to do... A Sort of Homecoming, for instance (though I wrote a story based on that song in the end), Stay, Zooropa, Walk To The Water, Wake Up Dead Man. I just tried to take the tone of the song and some of the lyrics and combine it into something, sometimes with better results than others.

There's a lot there, and much of it is abstract enough to do with it what you like, I recommend listening to the songs and just letting your imagination run wild.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I found some pics... unfortunately I don't have any of bullet... i'll just put the good ones for now:

Running to Stand Still first sketch:
runningpresketch.jpg

Mothers of the Disappeared:
MothersOTD.jpg

Where the Streets Have No Name:
WTSHNN.jpg

I think i might put up a subpage for my website about the artshow eventually, once I get a better picture of bullet.. which right now I have none of. GRRR.

Cool, my congratulation to this artists... LOL XD

Its a good idea painting about U2 songs

But u can use the albums too like War or the Photo od the front of the CD Da best of 1980 - 1990 ...

I could do those covers if I were worth a damn as a figure drawer. I really don't have much, if any, confidence in my figure drawing, which is a very technical skill that takes years to really learn to do well. My strengths are composition and space-breaking. I love those pix, SkeeK. Excellent!

someone asked this Q once before and I still have the same reaction

a pearl...in perfect condition
and funnily enough pearl is the first person who replied to you.
I see Grace as a dove though, ethereal embracing the pearl.

I have been enjoying you avatar verte76, beautiful colours and balance.
:up: skeek all good, but I love your initial sketch, the movement in it.
verte, if you take on painting U2 songs, you have a life's work ahead of you. Enjoy it:)
I would love to see someone paint a beautiful portrait of Ang San Suu Kyi, with great detail in the flowers she wears in her hair, surrounded by U2 motifs and imagery from Walk On....a singing bird in a open cage:(
I haven't watched the Slane DVD yet( my precious) If I get a flash of something during that, I'll let you know.

easy, A Sort of Homecoming or Heartland - easily the two most poetic and portait like songs ever. Paint them. Now.

I have to finish up a water-color abstract first. Then I have to start another one, and then do the acrylic *after* a listen to some lyrics. Then I'll have an idea and just won't be splashing color all over the canvas. My last water color was a f:censored:g mess.

Last edited:
Yeah cass, I really agree about the sketch, the final version of that just didn't keep the same sort of spirit, which is why i just posted the sketch. I tried to model the picture in the painting after bono during the zootv rtss performances, but i really should have just left it at that.

And livluvandbotoleg.. I agree about Promenade.. not necessarily that it is the most poetic ever, but it is defintitely up there... a very good recommendation.

Take a blank piece of paper, take a cr@p, throw it in that blank piece of paper - then you get some kind of splash effect. Then clean up the cr@p, and what's left in that piece of paper is a painting that will represent the entire POP album - unfinished work.

By the way, the ATYCLB album already have symbols for all the songs, you can choose to paint those symbols.

Cheers,

J

Oh, jick. Personally I prefer to use paint. And two songs I'm thinking of using are "Please" and "Playboy Mansion".

Last edited:
Aralitia said:
Verte I think Please would be agood choice too. :)

Yeah. The potential problem with that is my last two acrylics (including my avatar pic) are both protests against terrorism and fanaticism. I might want a different theme this time. Especially after 9/11, you don't want to absolutely harp on that theme or it gets hackneyed.

verte76 said:

Yeah. The potential problem with that is my last two acrylics (including my avatar pic) are both protests against terrorism and fanaticism. I might want a different theme this time. Especially after 9/11, you don't want to absolutely harp on that theme or it gets hackneyed.

I always thought Please had religious overtones in it as well, I would like to see So Cruel as a piece of Art.

Your avatar is very nice by the way, I wish I had the talent to paint, I loved reading about Lautrec, Van Gogh and Gaudi. Brilliant minds.

Good Luck,

Aralitia.

They are protests against religious as well as political fanaticism. The avatar pic is a protest against the Istanbul bombings, in which two synagogues were bombed, allegedly by Al Qaeda, and then another one protested a sectarian bombing of a mosque in Iraq. So I might use the absurdity of celebrity or something else I haven't thought of yet.

verte76 said:
Oh, jick. Personally I prefer to use paint. And two songs I'm thinking of using are "Please" and "Playboy Mansion".

I think a good reference would be the images on the screens when the songs were played live.

As for Playboy Mansion, U2 never played it live but during the rehearsals, Bono contemplated doing it live and sending out giant lotto balls (balloons) to the audience to pass around which the song is being played (the idea proved too impractical and costly so they ditched it). So you painting of the Playboy Mansion can be something like lotto balls. Good choice actually - Playboy Mansion is one of my favorite POP songs.

Cheers,

J

I think both songs are a good idea. But I think Please would be the most impressive, since its such a powerful song.

Good luck!

I have to "translate" all of this to visuals, so who knows what will come out of it? I have a visual head, not a verbal one. So.........

I was in the art supply store and doing something with a "Gloria" theme hit me like a ton of bricks. That's one of the early U2 songs that absolutely floored me when I just getting hooked.

Back
Top Bottom