U2 Slane Preview/Giveaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
Just a heads-up to everyone, one of our local radio stations is having a giveaway this weekend - be the right caller and you will win a copy of the Slane DVD, plus 2 tickets to a screening to see it on the big screen at one of our local theatres on November 17th.

You might want to ask around at your local theater to see if they plan on showing it at some point.....

:hyper:

LOL Doug, yeah, that is the big question....

My brother thinks he may have an in at the theater, and if that's the case, I may be able to hook up my MI buddies - unless anyone else wants to fly or drive in ;)

I'm gonna tell Karl that this is all I want for my birthday (1 week away) :yes:

Lies - I doubt it, it's 96.3 WDVD out of Detroit - but you may be able to listen online, my computer is sucking so I can't get it to load to see if you can listen over the computer. Here is the website: http://www.963wdvd.com

*edit - I called the radio station to see if I could buy tix - they think this is a pass-only event, but didn't know for sure. I'll have to call the theatre and try to find someone who knows :/

Last edited:
I got an email from atu2, it seems they are doing a similar giveaway somewhere over in Britain, so really, check with your big local theaters and/or check with radio stations that play u2 :)

:banghead: x 1,000,000,000,000

I've been caller #5 and 6, but I can't time it to get through at #9 like they want :(

Doesn't help when it rings 2 or 3 times before saying, "All cicuits are busy..." :sigh:

Call the radio station and butter the DJs up. Seriously. Ask them when teh giveaway is. Tell them about your U2 love- you've seen 'em live, etc. Tell them how you're waiting on EDGE for this Dvd. butter them up.

They do do things to help v. enthusisastic people.... :shifty::yes:

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing olive - I actually called twice so I could talk to 2 different DJs, went on and on about being a huge fan etc - no dice :(

bonosloveslave said:
I was thinking the same thing olive - I actually called twice so I could talk to 2 different DJs, went on and on about being a huge fan etc - no dice :(

Some DJs get really annoyed by that because they're being inundated with calls, letters and faxes from people begging for passes to whatever, giving the, "You don't even understand, I am the biggest fan..." I'd say just keep your fingers crossed that you win the old-fashioned way, you really don't want to iritate the people with the passes.

HOLY COW I GOT 'EM!!!!!!! :faint:

The theater was no help, they said they were just renting the screen to the marketing group for the night, and didn't know what businesses in the area got tickets to give away. I decided to call the radio promo guy, to try to work my way back, ask if he could tell me what company they got their tickets through. He asked why I wanted to go so bad and I went on and on and he said he'd send me 2 tickets! :hyper:

So..............now who gets to go :hmm:

I had originally recruited April to listen to the radio so we were both trying to win (but she got the message too late). Since I was originally going to go with her, she has first dibs. But if she can't, highest bidder.....:sexywink:

bonosloveslave said:
HOLY COW I GOT 'EM!!!!!!! :faint:

The theater was no help, they said they were just renting the screen to the marketing group for the night, and didn't know what businesses in the area got tickets to give away. I decided to call the radio promo guy, to try to work my way back, ask if he could tell me what company they got their tickets through. He asked why I wanted to go so bad and I went on and on and he said he'd send me 2 tickets! :hyper:

So..............now who gets to go :hmm:

I had originally recruited April to listen to the radio so we were both trying to win (but she got the message too late). Since I was originally going to go with her, she has first dibs. But if she can't, highest bidder.....:sexywink:

Congrats! If you'd like to do a write up on this for Interference, let me know.

Well, after all the hoopla leading up to this, there is not a whole lot to tell. I got there at 6 (it was supposed to start at 7) and there was no one else there til 6:40! :eek:

erised ended up going with me and it was nice to get the chance to meet her in person, and she was so sweet, she brought me a dvd of the 10/9/87 show at Syracuse to say thank you! :hyper:

Anyways, there were 2 people from radio stations there (different from the station I got my tickets from, didn't see any of their people). They rigged a dvd player to play on the big screen, so it wasn't ideal, stretching out the pixels that much. That, and all the bumpy camera movement, especially at the begininng, took some getting used to :uhoh: erised and I just kinda grooved where we were at in our seats and enjoyed the show. The couple in front of us was pretty into it too, but a group of 4 weirdos behind us talked through the whole thing and I'm not sure why they were there. When Streets came on, someone said, Oh! I know *this* one! :rolleyes: And eveyone has the dvd by now, so nothing exciting to tell there....

All in all, I counted about 20 people in the theater at the end of the show (and that may have included the 2 radio people!). We talked to 4 other people at the end who appeared to be the biggest fans and plugged Interference. :D

I was just really disappointed that this wasn't more of a fan event :sigh:

CONGRATS!

When I went to the screening near me in the UK there were only 12 people there and I think me and my friend was the only major U2 fans there! Shame cos more people could have got to see it on the big screen! I was really hoping to meet some more U2 fans as well!

That's cool that you got to go! I dunno, I guess I had stupid hopes for having an experience like people had for Rattle and Hum in the theaters, no such luck :(

bonosloveslave said:
That's cool that you got to go! I dunno, I guess I had stupid hopes for having an experience like people had for Rattle and Hum in the theaters, no such luck :(

Yeah I was well pleased when I won tickets, but i was teh same as you, thinking itwould be more of a fan event. Oh well was still great!!!

Did u get posters as well?

Oh well it was only posters of the cover of the DVD, the woman gave me and my friend 3 each cos there was hardly anyone there.

I was able to buy tickets for 10 dollars each and see the dvd last night in San Francisco.... They made it soooo hard to get tickets and then in the end there were loads of seats empty! I was so pissed! But anyways, I met up with a couple of U2 fans I know in SF and we had a great time! There were about 100 people in the theatre, but the 4 of us were the only ones dancin' in our seats, we were like come on people its U2!! Get into it!!! It was awesome to see on the big screen and I cant wait to buy it after work so I can watch it again... and again.... and again!
And BLS there were no posters here either, but we did get to keep the cool tickets!

Yeah, I have my ticket still too, just no way to scan it! :banghead:

I wondered if it was just Detroit that was weird, but it sounds like most of these screenings were pretty quiet :scratch:

Yeh my screening was pretty empty too, at least we had the pick of the best seats though. I got about three posters and my mate got a few as well, they weren't giving them away but I saw them behind the desk and asked for some. Im so glad I got to see Slane on the big screen, it was difficult to remain seated and not jump up and dance at times but I guess I would of looked would have looked a bit stupid!!! Gives a real taster for the next tour as well ( whenever that may be, whos betting 2006 or beyond!?! )

Back
Top Bottom