U2 Single Plans Revealed at Oz Preview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyril

The Fly
From U2log[dot]com:

A special preview of U2’s new album was conducted today in Australia today for a small group of industry people. The Island rep in charge of the preview revealed U2’s next single will be released in February and a third single commemorating the 25th anniversary of the band’s first single will be released on May 16. (We were warned not to guess what the b-side will be.)

All hope for a promo tour for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb were squashed by the rep, who explained that Bono’s commitments to DATA do not allow for it. The rep confirmed the rumor that the tour will begin on March 1 in Miami.

In addition to hearing the new album, guests at the preview were given the opportunity to review the 48-page booklet for the special edition of the new album, compiled and written by the band.

--

Based on the songs U2 performed at TOPTP and CD:UK, I think the second single will be ABOY. City of Blinding Lights should be the third single.

What do you think about that comment: "We were warned not to guess what the b-side will be"? ... Shall we expect a "2004 mix" of Stories for Boy and/or Out of Control as b-side to the third single (as it commemorates the 25th anniversary of the band’s first single), or Fast Car and/or Mercy, which Bono mentionned in the Blender article. Any ideas? I guess we will just have to wait until May 16 2005 :wink:

-Cyril

thanks for the info. it's new info and not some rehashed drivel that other sites/magazines have reported recently.

Obv as they said not to guess about the b-side...we have to :)

I think you're right Cyril, a re-working of Out Of Control or something along those lines. Or is that too obvious:scratch:

My guess is that it will be a live version of Out of Control or (hopefully) Stories for Boys from the new tour. They put live stuff from the promo tour (Irving Plaza) on previous singles from the last album. Or they could put the live versions of the new songs from TOTP or CDUK.

Maybe it will be the studio versions of all the tracks of U2-3, since they aren't available on CD. Boy-Girl anyone?
Now, it does beg the question as to which single will be annointed the 25 year single? Which song best reflects that 25 year history? Great story to keep us guessing! :D

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm skeptical about this story... why should i believe their "inside industry sources?" the next single release in feb? vertigo hit radio at the end of september... 4 to 5 months between singles? and then 2 months between the 2nd and 3rd single? doesn't make sense.

Well, Vertigo is not technically released until November. So for the February release, expect it to hit radio by January or possibly December.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm skeptical about this story... why should i believe their "inside industry sources?" the next single release in feb? vertigo hit radio at the end of september... 4 to 5 months between singles? and then 2 months between the 2nd and 3rd single? doesn't make sense.

Vertigo is not officially released until Nov 8th/9th.
So that's 3 months, as all of the other U2 singles have been spaced out by 3 months. The second single will probably go to radio/MTV in January. It said release in Feb, the 3rd is May, that's 3 months also.

Last edited:
bsp77 said:

Well, Vertigo is not technically released until November. So for the February release, expect it to hit radio by January or possibly December.

meh... maybe. i think they'll have another single out by christmas time. good for the marketing.

plus Bono has always said that once the album comes out that the DATA stuff goes to the back burner. he'll still be involved and active, but he wouldn't let it effect the band. no promo tour effects the band. k-rock in new york city has already said they're in talks for another irving plaza type show, there's already rumor of an appearance on SNL, i'm sure they'd do Letterman and perhaps Leno again... no promo tour doesn't make sense, especially when they apparently have such a HUGE promo budget. i say :madspit: to this story.

well the story may be bullshit, but if you had asked me to predict when the 2nd and 3rd single would come out, i would have said Feb and May. "Officially" anyways. st based on what they've done in the past.

U2log are usually pretty accurate though, for the most part.

When is the fucking Vertigo video going to premiere?

Headache in a Suitcase, 4 to 5 months between the 1st and 2nd singles (with the album within a month after the 1st single), and then 2 months between the 2nd and 3rd singles *does* make sense. That's what they did for ATYCLB. :lol: :p

Check out u2wanderer[dot]org for previous singles commercial release dates.

Cheers,
-Cyril

second singles

War-Two Hearts Beat As One
UF-UF
JT-Still haven't Found
R&H-Angel of Harlem
AB-Mysterious Ways
Zoo-Lemon
POP-Staring at the Sun
ATYCLB-Stuck In A Moment

For the most part U2 have gone, rocker-1st single, mid tempo-2nd single.

Sure it's not a scientific theory, just trying to guess what the 2nd single might be. Did U2log say it was supposed to be ABOY?

Inner El Guapo said:
second singles

ATYCLB-Stuck In A Moment

For the most part U2 have gone, rocker-1st single, mid tempo-2nd single.

Well not that it matters much, here in Canada, we got Walk On second and Stuck fourth.

Headache in a Suitcase, like you, I do believe that U2 will play 3 or 4 small gigs like they did around the release of ATYCLB in 2000. They have already played at TOPTP and CD:UK (and are scheduled to appear on SNL), just like they did in 2000. Can three or four 10-15-song concerts / tour warm-up gigs be considered a promo tour? I don't know.

For instance, Coldplay, before the release of A Rush of Blood to the Head, did an actual promo tour (at least 15 dates across North America). That I consider to be an actual promo tour.

-Cyril

They will promote the hell out of it here, just not come here to do it. They did a lot of stuff last time. I remember for ATYCLB at least two great local interviews, one in the Sydney Morning Herald, a very funny one on Sydney Triple M radio (in between hilarious incoherent rants Bono kept apologising for being extremely hungover - he sounded like shit).

I hope he does Denton. He's the best interviewer in the world, it would be really interesting to see what he'd get out of Bono.

AussieU2fanman said:
U2 doing a promo in Australia? GOOD LUCK! :wink:

omg if they actually did!!!!!!!!!!!

i would so b there

are u gonna do the U2 trifector when they come? i am

sydeny, brisbane and melbourne will b the ones ill do :D :D :D

well when they come over here ill have a job and should have heaps of money so why not! Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide (where I live) is gonna be my pick! Can't wait! :D

No, no, no - PERTH. They must come to Perth....

Actually, no matter where the tour is I will be going. I missed out on the Zoo tour and was depressed for 6 months (no joke) I could not listen to any U2 I was so down.

Andrew Denton would be a great interviewer, he might not be able to get a word in once they got going, though I wouldn't be surprised to see them on Rove...

I sincerely hope not Rove. I doubt it, he normally only does the satellite thing for "celebrity" celebrities.

Denton I think would be more appealing for Bono because he'd get half an hour, and he can spend it all talking about Africa etc.

Rove would just spend 5 minutes picking on their accents. I fucking hate Rove.

I think U2 will get as much play out of Vertigo as possible before releasing the 2nd single. I think it all depends on how well HTDAAB is selling. I predict it will sell 1 Million copies in the US the first week.

cseggleton... i think ur prediction is more than a little optimistic. the highest sales U2 has ever achieved is 428,000 for ATYCLB. I'd say 600,000 is a more achieveable goal... ofcourse 1 million would be good as it would ensure that U2 eclipse Eminem (wouldn't that be the day? :p)

WHYWHY.

Back
Top Bottom