U2 shouldn't try to be the "world's biggest band" anymore...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Why do I say this?

Three reasons.

First, it's their age. They are mid-40's, and I feel past the point of attracting the majority of the high-school crowd, or a lot of new, young fans. At this point, they more often than not come off as desperate old men trying to fit in. Vertigo reached that young group - I'll give them that - but after that, it's all been basically the Adult Contemporary crowd.

Second, they've already proven it several times before. They were the world's biggest band from the mid-80's through 1993, and then from 2000-2002. You could even argue the Pop and HTDAAB eras as well. They've shown they can come back from being out of the spotlight. They have a massive following. Even those who hate them can't get away from them when they are releasing an album or touring.

Third and finally, walking away from this obsession to be the "world's biggest band" gives U2 a real chance to do something creative and daring again - like they did all the way up until the year 2000. I believe after hearing songs like Mercy and Fast Cars, that U2 still has that creative spark in them, but that they are too afraid it might not result in a worldwide #1 album. They need to get over this phobia and tap into that place that gave us such daring, fresh, creative songs as The Fly, HMTMKMKM, Lemon, Please, etc.

That's my two cents...thoughts?

There have been many threads similiar to this, but I do agree. U2 has proven many times they are the biggest band in the world, it is time to prove again that they are the best.

Except I already think they are the best, they don't need to prove it to me :wink: to some of you however...

Fear not, U2 will experiment again. Larry said so. That's right, Larry. NOT Bono. :D

As long as I get to hear songs like Fast Cars and Mercy from U2, I dont care if they appear on album or not. I have the technology to put them on my preferred U2 album all I need these songs form the source which fit in the spirit.

Yep biggest and best are not one and the same. Its time U2 got there heads outta their arses and started making music for more intelligent music fans and not for the fuc#ing pop kids that they were so desperate to drop in the 90's! Bono said it "we might lose the pop kids, but we don't need them" back in 1992, now it seems the opposite applies to everything U2 do!:wink:

The overrelease of Vertigo to the teenagers hurt U2's image more then help it. I can say cos I have first hand experience, I just graduated high school. I was back in 8th grade when Elevation came out. Those 8th graders really enjoyed Elevation. But believe me, not many high school kids are into songs like Vertigo or Elevation.

Infinitum98 said:
The overrelease of Vertigo to the teenagers hurt U2's image more then help it. I can say cos I have first hand experience, I just graduated high school. I was back in 8th grade when Elevation came out. Those 8th graders really enjoyed Elevation. But believe me, not many high school kids are into songs like Vertigo or Elevation.

Wrong.

Vertigo was wildly popular with the high school crowd.

I've first hand experience of not just myself, but stacks of people worldwide to back me up.

Axver said:

Wrong.

I've first hand experience of not just myself, but stacks of people worldwide to back me up.

How is the experience of stacks of people worldwide 'first-hand' experience?

Axver said:

Wrong.

In the school I went to, everybody hated it so much.

jacknife23 said:
As long as I get to hear songs like Fast Cars and Mercy from U2, I dont care if they appear on album or not. I have the technology to put them on my preferred U2 album all I need these songs form the source which fit in the spirit.

Good point, the only problem is for those that wish to hear songs like Mercy live, well, we kinda miss out.

Vertigo was fairly popular at my high school when it first came out, then people got tired of it... :|

high school kids are dumb anyway.

namkcuR said:

How is the experience of stacks of people worldwide 'first-hand' experience?

I said MY first-hand experience, along with the first-hand experience of OTHERS.

It seems every high school from Queensland, Australia to Tennessee, USA, to Wellington, New Zealand, to London, England loved the song.

MrBrau1 said:

My senior year EVERYONE loved "Ice Ice Baby."

Your point is grounded in fact.

I remember that song... :yuck: it was pretty amusing to hear him try to explain how he DIDN'T steal the music...:lmao:

Zoocoustic said:

First, it's their age. They are mid-40's, and I feel past the point of attracting the majority of the high-school crowd, or a lot of new, young fans. At this point, they more often than not come off as desperate old men trying to fit in. Vertigo reached that young group - I'll give them that - but after that, it's all been basically the Adult Contemporary crowd.

I see what you're saying! And those are pretty good reasons...

But I began to really get into them after their Superbowl performance and I was still in high school. So I guess I'm just that "exception" to them attracting the high school crowd. :shrug: But you're right, it does seem like their past that point of attracting the young audience. Everyone seemed to like Vertigo at my school though.

But when I started to really get into U2 I was still in high school, before Vertigo, and I didn't care about how old they were and I still don't. I did not judge them from the beginning on their age and I'm not ever going to judge them on that. Unfortunately I think I'm one of the few people that are going to do that.

I'm just going to judge them on their music.

And so far, I love it.

mikal said:
i just feel grateful that they still release records. they could be retired.

You got that right!

I mean, I'm just thankful that great songs like Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, etc. even exist when, like you said, they could be retired and those songs never were made.

Just imagine if U2 was right now. :ohmy:

I don't think I want to. :huh:

AtomicBono said:

I remember that song... :yuck: it was pretty amusing to hear him try to explain how he DIDN'T steal the music...:lmao:

That was so funny. Ding ding ding, just one little ding.

:lmao:

jacknife23 As long as I get to hear songs like Fast Cars and Mercy from U2, I dont care if they appear on album or not. I have the technology to put them on my preferred U2 album all I need these songs form the source which fit in the spirit.

Exactly.

U2 could've kept these songs to themselves, but instead they let them get released via Itunes.

Mercy is a U2 song, just because it's not on an album, shouldn't take away from it still being U2's work.

11 o Clock Tick Tock isn't on any "official" albums, just a hard to find single, and on the Under a Blood Red Sky live EP, but it's still a U2 song right?

Some of you people seem to forget, U2 started out while they were in high school, I wouldn't underestimate young people, U2 don't.

I've known 15 year olds more mature than some adults, so yeah, let's not get into the age thing.

There's young people into the Beatles, should the Beatles be discredited because they appeal to young people?

Zoocoustic said:
They were the world's biggest band from the mid-80's through 1993, and then from 2000-2002

hahaha... wow, you're so wrong.
Don't you remember what Bono was saying?
in 2000-2002 they were only asking for the job of the biggest/best/whatever band in the world... but they got the job only in november of 2004, my friend.

MrBrau1 said:

My senior year EVERYONE loved "Ice Ice Baby."

Your point is grounded in fact.

Sooo right! About the same time as Vanilla's (s)hit was out I was playing 'Under Pressure' on my hi-fi, when my high-school age sister comes in, screws up her face and says....

"They ripped that off of Vanilla Ice!"

Can't remember what I threw at her, but I laughed for hours after that gem of a comment.

I'm a high schooler myself, and first was attracted to U2 in sixth grade... since then, i've become obessesed! (saw them live in boston, may 23.. o geez :drool: ) but i must say, most people at my high school don't like U2 because they are too commercial. and no, they dont look to u2's past to see their other genius works. they only see the fact that U2 is everywhere, which then subtracts from their "cool factor". but i still love all of u2's songs, because from day to day i can still listen to them without becoming bored because they have so much different stuff!

myfavu2 said:
I'm a high schooler myself, and first was attracted to U2 in sixth grade... since then, i've become obessesed! (saw them live in boston, may 23.. o geez :drool: ) but i must say, most people at my high school don't like U2 because they are too commercial. and no, they dont look to u2's past to see their other genius works. they only see the fact that U2 is everywhere, which then subtracts from their "cool factor". but i still love all of u2's songs, because from day to day i can still listen to them without becoming bored because they have so much different stuff!

u2 played in boston may 24, 26 and 28 :wink:

but anyway i just graduated high school, i don't think that high schoolers didn't like them because they were too 'commercial', they didn't like them because theyre too busy listening to rap and green day and maroon 5 and whatever mtv tells them to listen to and whatever the radio tells them to listen to.

the people that did, however, like u2, liked their recent stuff (ala vertigo, sometimes..., beautiful day), but were also aware of their past (one, streets, pride, staring at the sun etc).

Biggest band in the world, jesus who gives a crap about that. Very often the case that biggest band and best band are not one and the same.

rjhbonovox said:
Biggest band in the world, jesus who gives a crap about that. Very often the case that biggest band and best band are not one and the same.

Exactly. Right now, sadly, the Rolling Stones are the biggest band in the world. Yes it's hard to believe, but they have a bigger fanbase then U2.

unosdostres14 said:
I'm utterly shocked that no one has made any kind of sarcastic Coldplay comment yet. C'MON PEOPLE!!!!!!

Sure, I'll sate your appetite. X&Y is the biggest piece of tomfoolery of all time. It's all a ruse. The most beautiful album of fake meaning, I've ever heard.

Layton said:

Sure, I'll sate your appetite. X&Y is the biggest piece of tomfoolery of all time. It's all a ruse. The most beautiful album of fake meaning, I've ever heard.

Yeah but its got some good music on it, though.:wink:

Infinitum98 said:

Exactly. Right now, sadly, the Rolling Stones are the biggest band in the world. Yes it's hard to believe, but they have a bigger fanbase then U2.

When is the last time they had a big-selling album? They're a touring phenomenon, and thats it.

Sleep Over Jack said:

When is the last time they had a big-selling album? They're a touring phenomenon, and thats it.

Very true, while U2's albums are not as great as they once were there is no doubt that U2's albums are still far better than the utter shite The Rolling Stones turn out on their new albums. Why do The Rolling Stones make new albums cos they are always crap. Why don't they just do the big tour and forget about putting out crappy new material, cos nobody that goes to The Rolling Stones concerts wants to hear any of their crappy new stuff anyway.:wink:

it seems like treason to say it, especially in these forums, but I think zoocoustic is right. U2 are on the wrong track.
I have no problem with U2 being big, I just want the music to back that up, not the hype. And by and large HTDAAB did back it up. But you get the impression U2 were so concerned about it that they overproduced at times.

They would be met with very supportive fans if they gave us another zooropa

Back
Top Bottom