U2 should do a

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakedpony

The Fly
double album. if they're gonna make us wait for four years again (like the chilis did), it better lead to a lot of good songs! like stadium arcadium. great job by rick rubin!

Nice idea, but it would probably turn out that one CD was great and the other was crap. I think they are better sticking to one disc of classics.

I'd rather U2 release a coherent album, than a collection of songs suitable for pairing down into a playlist as RHCP did, and as X&Y also turned out to be.

Quality over quantity.

sure quality over quantity, but what if you have BOTH quality AND quantity? when i heard da chilis would do a double album, that's what I thought: 1 good and 1 not so good album. Stadium Arcadium however, proved me wrong. If HTDAAB was a double album and if the second disc would have songs like Smile, AYGWF and Mercy, I don't see anything wrong...

bakedpony wrote: ...If HTDAAB was a double album and if the second disc would have songs like Smile, AYGWF and Mercy, I don't see anything wrong...
are you kidding? if the socalled BOMB was a double album it would have been a double boring album. you can't compare the great new RHCP Stadium Arcadium to the mediocre HTDAAB.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
u2 should do whatever they want to do, and i just hope it doesn't suck.

so far no complaints from me... except for maybe time between albums

Exactly. U2's best product will be something their hearts are into, not something they are doing because they think it's what people want.

Canadiens1160 said:
collection of songs suitable for pairing down into a playlist

That sounds utterly boring! I love the concept of an album, built with peaks and valleys you can lose yourself in. The industry needs more of that.

Frankly, about Stadium Arcadium:

I must say I haven't heard all the songs yet, but the ones I've heard, didn't impress me that much. I have the feeling they put each and every shite on this album......................................that's why they got a double album with 28 songs

i much prefer californication and blood sugar sex magik

More than obvious. I wonder why many here talk everytime about U2 going down, while they bring RHCP on the 9th cloud. RHCP are light years away from what they used to do.

There's a big problem. People make reviews and form opinions without knowing what they're talking about. I'm speaking in the general cases.
The press/critics have so much weight in this, and we do not see it... If they say that piece of shit is a great album, and if then radios and TV channels start to air it, and the artist is invited for several TV shows... It inevitably turns into a success. We've seen it in the past.
How many albums were bashed and banned in the past and today they're considered great (even if the harder ones insist that is crap)? And how many other albums were glorified by the time of its releasement and promotion and then? And then, when we listen to it a few years later... we just want to throw it in the rubish?
I think that's what's happening with RHCP now. The album in its overall is good, but not that great as everyone wants me to believe...

stadium arcadium puts me to sleep

ditto. i know that others may heartily disagree, but i really don't all that much progression over the last few albums. not to mention the fact that it irritates me to no end that they feel the need to mention California in like one in three songs in the last few years. i don't get it---it's worse than the beastie boys talking about white castle in every frickin' song. :shrug:

nothing will top the days of 'Under the Bridge.'

aaaannnnnwaaaaayyy....before this turns entirely into a RHCP discussion.....

I'll take a double album, but like many others have said--only if it's packed with kick-ass songs. While even the JT-era b-sides, etc., were great, I don't think the feel of JT would've been nearly the same had it included all those songs.

stadium arcadium puts me to sleep

lol

is not a bad album, but isn't great... it has like 4 memorable moments and that's it, I can listen to it completely and enjoy it, but 5 minutes later I don't remember it, my only problem is that is overhyped around here

'bout U2 and a double album... I liked the Bomb but I know isn't their best work, isn't very cohesive and it has lots of flaws, surely U2 can write 22 songs, but I'm not sure if that songs would be 22 brilliant songs (they couldn't do it with 11 songs)... I just want to hear U2 surprising me again, because, yeah, HTDAAB has Sometimes and other songs that blowed my mind, but is wasn't a real surprising album

angelordevil said:
I just love the negative RHCP reviews from people who haven't even heard the whole album :happy:

Sometimes even 10 songs of 28 are enough to understand what's the whole direction of an album, especially when you listen to the band since 15 years..........................

I'd rather see U2 bring out an album every two years, double albums rarely work...the usual four years is just tooo long....

I prefer albums to be about 40 minutes long
I think every human being has a maximum attention span of 25 minutes or so, so basically 40 is already more than enough :up:

There are songs in Stadium Arcadium which are more than stupid, there are good songs , too, but most of them you listen 2-3 times and then you skip forward all the times. I had a right feeling, I have listened now to all the songs, and they could have done a great album by leaving off songs that are B-side worthy. So, many talk about Stadium Arcadium as the album of the year......................please, this is nothing else than a mediocre album. I'm sorry for that, because I'm a huge RHCP fan, but many of the songs they have done now won't probably neither be played live, because they're really low and crappy, I'm disappointed................................
Ok, I hope I can get into a more bunch of songs in the next times..................................who knows......................
I hope U2 never do a double album like this, I prefer at this point 11 songs, and 11 singles like Bono says. Music should be based on quality not on quantity. I am myself a songwriter, there are days I write 3-4 songs where I can save 1, there are days where I concentrate on 1 single song and it comes out taking my breath

Stadium Arcadium is the only RHCP album I've enjoyed enough to actually go out and buy. It's brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom