U2`s saddest song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bonosloveslave said:
Not technically a U2 song I guess since it's just Larry and Bono and they didn't write it, but "Dreaming with Tears in My Eyes" is super sad - love it though.

*ok, so this doesn't count at all*

Ooh, I love that song.

"Kite" is very sad, especially with the part that someone else posted, the whole "I want you to know that you don't need me anymore" part and all that.

"Peace On Earth"-when the part comes up about the names of the people killed...yeah...I tend to kinda lose it there...

"If God Will Send His Angels"

"Sunday Bloody Sunday"

Angela

Please
Until the end of the world (I was drowning my sorrows but my sorrows the learned to swim... - couldn't be more sad?)
Sunday Bloody Sunday

My list, in chronological order, of the saddest/depressingist U2 songs... plus I threw in the saddest lines in the song... baisicly 'cause I'm bored and have nothing better to do with my time
-Tomorrow (won't you be back tommorow)
-October (October / And the trees are stripped bare / Of all they wear / What do I care?)
-Sunday Bloody Sunday (how long must we sing this song?)
-With or Without You (...she's got me with / Nothing to win and
Nothing left to lose)
-Running To Stand Still (You got to cry without weeping / Talk without speaking / Scream without raising your voice)
-Red Hill Mining Town (Hanging on... you're all that's left to hold on to)
-One Tree Hill (I'll see you again / When the stars fall from the sky / And the moon has turned red / Over One Tree Hill)
-Mothers of the Disappeared (In the wind we hear their laughter / In the rain we see their tears / Hear their heartbeat / We hear their heartbeat )
-One (Did I ask too much / More than a lot / You gave me nothing / Now it's all I got / We're one / But we're not the same / Well we / Hurt each other / Then we do it again)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Who's gonna ride your wild horses / Who's gonna drown in your blue sea / Who's gonna taste your salt water kisses / Who's gonna take the place of me)
-So Cruel (I disappeared in you / You disappeared from me / I gave you everything you ever wanted / It wasn't what you wanted / The men who love you, you hate the most / They pass right through you like a ghost / They look for you but your spirit is in the air / Baby, you're nowhere)
-Ultraviolet (Sometimes I feel like I don't know / Sometimes I feel like checkin' out / I want to get it wrong / Can't always be strong / And love it won't be long...)
-Stay (You say when he hits you, you don't mind / Because when he hurts you, you feel alive / Hey babe, is that what it is?)
-Dirty Day (Dragging me down / That's not the way it used to be / You can't even remember / What I'm trying to forget)
-MoFo (Mother...am I still your son? / You know I've waited for so long to hear you say so / Mother...you left and made me someone / Now I'm still a child, no one tells me no / Looking for a sound that's going to drown out the world / Looking for the father of my two little girls / Got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade / Still looking for the face I had before the world was made)
-Wake Up Dead Man (Jesus, were you just around the corner / Did You think to try and warn her / Or are you working on something new)
-Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of... just knowing about the whole Michael Hutchence connection (And you are such a fool / To worry like you do)
-Kite (It's summer, I can taste the salty sea / There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze / I wonder what's gonna happen to you / You wonder what has happened to me)
-In A Little While... in the context of how Joey Ramone heard it (In a little while / This hurt will hurt no more / I'll be home, love... Slow down my beating heart)
-Peace On Earth (Tell the ones who hear no sound / Whose sons are living in the ground / Peace on Earth / No whos or whys / No one cries like a mother cries / For peace on Earth / She never got to say goodbye / To see the color in his eyes / Now he's in the dirt / Peace on Earth)
-New York... the live post-9/11 version (I lost my balance, you lost your wife)
-The Hands That Built America (It's early fall / There's a cloud on the New York skyline / Innocence / Dragged across a yellow line)

Last edited:
October...short but suicidal. "And kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall but you go on...":(

Otherwise...Mothers of the Disappeared because of the story behind it. Kite and Running to Stand Still are up there too.

What does it say about my life that my scrapbook is full of lyrics from those songs...?:scream:

I just have to add Miss Sarajevo. it can easily make you all weepy, huh?

The First Time - especially after seeing MDH
Running To Stand Still
Bad
Mothers of the Disappeared
Please
Stay
The Hands That Built America
North and South of the River (live tribute version)
Miss Sarajevo

and a few more, but those are my top ones that make me feel sad

Last edited:
Wake up dead man-- "I'm fucked" song

The First Time-- Saddest psalm/parable

The Sweetest Thing-- Probably the one that connects to me the most... because it describes one-sided relationships. :sad:

I am going with Love is Blindness- very emotional and has a very sad vibe to it.....but then again there are so many sad U2 songs I think a very hounourable mention should go to (and from my skimming of this thread I dont think it has already been mentioned) Van Diemen's Land- just Edge, an electric guitar and very sad lyrics, maybe I can connect to it a bit more so seeing as though I am Australian and know all to well about our sad convict past!!!

My choice as saddest is Mothers of Disappeared, no doubt, everything in that song, lyrics and melody, is heartbreaking.
Somehow nowadays I find Take Today sad as well, it?s the last track on disc 2, Salome bootleg, the version with vocals. Not reasonable explanations, more a feeling stuff.

SBS and Please
The whole idea behind them is just sad.
IGWSHA, So Cruel
It's almost hard to explain why these are sad.
Definately MOTD, WOWY, SIAM. etc
The you have the one-sided relationship songs:
AIWIY, Sweetest Thing, you get the idea
Pride makes me sad. The fact that he was assasinated is what does it. But the dram still lives on..

Back
Top Bottom