U2 responsible for some really bad records over the years - MSNBC - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:24 PM
U2 responsible for some really bad records over the years - MSNBC

Here is a snippet from an Entertainment Editorial about the upcoming U2 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from MSNBC:

Hall of Famers or just a bunch of Pretenders?
Questionable calls, and omissions, among this year’s class of inductees.
COMMENTARY
By Ree Hines and Helen A.S. Popkin
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 1:00 p.m. ET March 11, 2005

For two decades, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has paid tribute to some of rock’s greatest acts. On March 14, the Rock Hall recognizes the contributions of a new batch of inductees. U2, the Pretenders, the O’Jays, Percy Sledge and Buddy Guy will all receive the much-coveted record-toting statuette denoting their contribution to the aural landscape. And as with every year since 1986, those chosen for this honor remind music fans everywhere of the other artists they believe more deserving. Inductees become eligible 25 years after their first release, which means there are a whole lot of artists out there still waiting to be enshrined. Just what goes on in the heads of those “rock historians” who choose the nominees? And how deserving is this year’s selection? Helen and Ree discuss.

advertisement

Helen: Here’s how I’m ranking them in order of importance: The Pretenders, the O’Jays, Percy Sledge, U2 — and while he’s a mean guitar player, Buddy Guy is a blues musician, so he’s number five.

Ree: Wow. U2 is mighty far down on your list. Bono and the boys are infinitely more relevant than the Pretenders. U2’s early ’80s releases, “Boy,” “October,” “War” and “The Unforgettable Fire” showed the band at its most angry and poetic — rock’s perfect combo — and inspired a gaggle of wannabes. Of course, that was before Bono’s enormous ego took over the world and he was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, and that whole World Bank thing. He was always a preachy know-it-all, but there’s something charming about the idealistic pleas of a young Dubliner full of moral outrage that doesn’t work for a fancy-pants multimillionaire permanently decked in designer shades. Nonetheless, U2 belongs in the Hall of Fame — though I would’ve made the band wait a year as punishment for that “Vertigo” iPod commercial.

Helen: Feh. U2 may be the only Irish stadium band on the planet, but they’re responsible for some really bad records over the years. Not all of which were their own. (Coldplay, Travis, I’m waving at you.)

Read the rest: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7158817/

Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:24 PM
what a stupid stupid article

Old 03-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
The Fly

dumb
Old 03-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Who are these two jackasses?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Old 03-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:24 AM
The worst part is that it's written so immaturely. That's what makes it stupid.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:24 PM

Why get so worked up about an article like this...?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Lame. That Helen person says U2 have made some bad records and doesn't even elaborate. Makes me wonder how well she knows them.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Probably just knows Vertigo and Beautiful Day.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #10
Acrobat

Idiots...
Old 03-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #11
New Yorker

My guess: this article is a typical example of some publicity-seeking journalist attempting to take the "let's shock as many people as possible into getting pissed off and therefore making us famous" approach. Kind of the watered down, less intelligent version of the 'shock jock' brigade.

Yawn.

I can't be arsed getting wound up by it, and I would suggest no other bugger does either.

All hail my words of wisdom. Goodnight.

Afterthought: how can anyone calling themselves "Ree" expect to be taken seriously? The mind boggles.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
My guess: this article is a typical example of some publicity-seeking journalist attempting to take the "let's shock as many people as possible into getting pissed off and therefore making us famous" approach. Kind of the watered down, less intelligent version of the 'shock jock' brigade.

Yawn.

I can't be arsed getting wound up by it, and I would suggest no other bugger does either.

All hail my words of wisdom. Goodnight.

Afterthought: how can anyone calling themselves "Ree" expect to be taken seriously? The mind boggles.
I did it in less words!

But indeed,

Next!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

I did it in less words!

But indeed,

Next!
je bent een bontekoe!
Old 03-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
Kind of the watered down, less intelligent version of the 'shock jock' brigade.
and how intelligent is the 'shock-jock' brigade??
Old 03-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
Pick a number between 0 and 20.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:24 PM
While I'm not "worked up" over this article, the sheer stupidity of both people astounds me. Yet another reason why I feel any music critic or author is useless. To reiterate, music critics are the single most useless people on the planet. They serve no purpose.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want

I guess that depends on the individual, really, so fair point. At least a few members of the shockjock lot were more original and gave reasons for the crap they spouted (occasionally backing up with fact). It's just standard practise adopted by anyone these days.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
any music critic or author is useless. To reiterate, music critics are the single most useless people on the planet. They serve no purpose.
I have to quote that.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
While I'm not "worked up" over this article, the sheer stupidity of both people astounds me. Yet another reason why I feel any music critic or author is useless. To reiterate, music critics are the single most useless people on the planet. They serve no purpose.
serve no purpose? well, i disagree how the hell would we sell music magazines without music critics? oh i get it, i get it, now youre saying you dont NEED music magazines? let me tell you something, funny boy... sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. i've seen your type before - flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. yeah, I know what you're thinking... why's this guy making such a big stink about music critics? let me give you a hint, junior. maybe we can live without critics, people like you and me.... but how about that little kid, who is opening a music magazine right now and reading about the pee-wees and wee-wees? doesn't he deserve better? you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to listen to music without getting his mind warped. or maybe that turns you on, doctorwho... maybe that's how you get your kicks... you and your goodtime buddies... I've got a flash for you, joy boy. Partytime is over.

Old 03-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 06:24 PM
scroll down the msnbc page this article is on and you can vote for which artists least and most deserve to be in the hall of fame.
u2 is kicking ass in that poll.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7158817/page/2/