U2 responsible for some really bad records over the years - MSNBC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
Here is a snippet from an Entertainment Editorial about the upcoming U2 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from MSNBC:

Hall of Famers or just a bunch of Pretenders?
Questionable calls, and omissions, among this year’s class of inductees.
COMMENTARY
By Ree Hines and Helen A.S. Popkin
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 1:00 p.m. ET March 11, 2005

For two decades, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has paid tribute to some of rock’s greatest acts. On March 14, the Rock Hall recognizes the contributions of a new batch of inductees. U2, the Pretenders, the O’Jays, Percy Sledge and Buddy Guy will all receive the much-coveted record-toting statuette denoting their contribution to the aural landscape. And as with every year since 1986, those chosen for this honor remind music fans everywhere of the other artists they believe more deserving. Inductees become eligible 25 years after their first release, which means there are a whole lot of artists out there still waiting to be enshrined. Just what goes on in the heads of those “rock historians” who choose the nominees? And how deserving is this year’s selection? Helen and Ree discuss.

advertisement

Helen: Here’s how I’m ranking them in order of importance: The Pretenders, the O’Jays, Percy Sledge, U2 — and while he’s a mean guitar player, Buddy Guy is a blues musician, so he’s number five.

Ree: Wow. U2 is mighty far down on your list. Bono and the boys are infinitely more relevant than the Pretenders. U2’s early ’80s releases, “Boy,” “October,” “War” and “The Unforgettable Fire” showed the band at its most angry and poetic — rock’s perfect combo — and inspired a gaggle of wannabes. Of course, that was before Bono’s enormous ego took over the world and he was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, and that whole World Bank thing. He was always a preachy know-it-all, but there’s something charming about the idealistic pleas of a young Dubliner full of moral outrage that doesn’t work for a fancy-pants multimillionaire permanently decked in designer shades. Nonetheless, U2 belongs in the Hall of Fame — though I would’ve made the band wait a year as punishment for that “Vertigo” iPod commercial.

Helen: Feh. U2 may be the only Irish stadium band on the planet, but they’re responsible for some really bad records over the years. Not all of which were their own. (Coldplay, Travis, I’m waving at you.)

Read the rest: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7158817/

Last edited:
The worst part is that it's written so immaturely. That's what makes it stupid.

My guess: this article is a typical example of some publicity-seeking journalist attempting to take the "let's shock as many people as possible into getting pissed off and therefore making us famous" approach. Kind of the watered down, less intelligent version of the 'shock jock' brigade.

Yawn.

I can't be arsed getting wound up by it, and I would suggest no other bugger does either.

All hail my words of wisdom. Goodnight.
:wink:

Afterthought: how can anyone calling themselves "Ree" expect to be taken seriously? The mind boggles.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
My guess: this article is a typical example of some publicity-seeking journalist attempting to take the "let's shock as many people as possible into getting pissed off and therefore making us famous" approach. Kind of the watered down, less intelligent version of the 'shock jock' brigade.

Yawn.

I can't be arsed getting wound up by it, and I would suggest no other bugger does either.

All hail my words of wisdom. Goodnight.

Afterthought: how can anyone calling themselves "Ree" expect to be taken seriously? The mind boggles.

I did it in less words! :p

But indeed, :yawn:

Next! :D

While I'm not "worked up" over this article, the sheer stupidity of both people astounds me. Yet another reason why I feel any music critic or author is useless. To reiterate, music critics are the single most useless people on the planet. They serve no purpose.

all_i_want said:

and how intelligent is the 'shock-jock' brigade??:huh:
I guess that depends on the individual, really, so fair point. At least a few members of the shockjock lot were more original and gave reasons for the crap they spouted (occasionally backing up with fact). It's just standard practise adopted by anyone these days.

doctorwho said:
While I'm not "worked up" over this article, the sheer stupidity of both people astounds me. Yet another reason why I feel any music critic or author is useless. To reiterate, music critics are the single most useless people on the planet. They serve no purpose.

serve no purpose? well, i disagree :mad: how the hell would we sell music magazines without music critics? :madspit: oh i get it, i get it, now youre saying you dont NEED music magazines? let me tell you something, funny boy... sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. i've seen your type before - flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. yeah, I know what you're thinking... why's this guy making such a big stink about music critics? let me give you a hint, junior. maybe we can live without critics, people like you and me.... but how about that little kid, who is opening a music magazine right now and reading about the pee-wees and wee-wees? doesn't he deserve better? you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to listen to music without getting his mind warped. or maybe that turns you on, doctorwho... maybe that's how you get your kicks... you and your goodtime buddies... I've got a flash for you, joy boy. Partytime is over.
:madspit: :madspit:

One should note the scource of this article... Then take a look at that networks ratings.

MSNBC are merely trying to imitate Fox in reporting on garbage news...

And judging by this... they are failing, easily.

Too funny...everybody vote!

Which inductee is most deserving of a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? * 1063 responses

Buddy Guy 8%
The O'Jays 8%
Percy Sledge 10%
The Pretenders 24%
U2 49%

Saw this in the news forum and already voted. But even then U2 was not the highest to be voted "non deserving of" It was Buddy Guy, to which I disagree.
He was/is a phenomenal influence, period.
But anyway, that's the way these things are/go/happen - pick one :shrug: :wink: :mad:

Popmartijn said:
:shrug:

Why get so worked up about an article like this...?
i agree. i don't understand why everyone gets upset about this stuff no matter how many anti-U2 (i guess that's the best thing to call these) articles get posted here. i just get over them. they want people to react, so i don't.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i agree. i don't understand why everyone gets upset about this stuff no matter how many anti-U2 (i guess that's the best thing to call these) articles get posted here. i just get over them. they want people to react, so i don't.

I made that point to however managed to turn it into an essay. :yes:

crap

I could care less what these 2 assclowns have to say about U2, but the fact they (presumably) got PAID for it is the real pisser...

So uh, what exactly ARE the "pretty bad albums" U2 has put out over the years? I'm curious, really, because I don't think I've heard them...

AtomicBono said:
So uh, what exactly ARE the "pretty bad albums" U2 has put out over the years? I'm curious, really, because I don't think I've heard them...

i have heard them. they are pretty bad. trust me:wink:

i don't know about you guyz but my sentiments are

'Helen i have only two words for you.......'

Regardless of the absolute moronic content of the article, it does make a point:

Many people view U2 as non-relevant egocentric assholes.

Report them to Alberto Gonzalez.

Back
Top Bottom