U2 responsible for some really bad records over the years - MSNBC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The great majority of music journalists/critics over the years have praised U2 to the skies. You can't expect every single writer on the face of the planet to love U2 as much as we all do.

That being said, how does Bono supposedly being a preachy egomaniac have anything to do with his getting nominated for a Nobel Prize or mentioned as the possible leader of the World Bank? It's not like he held a gun to people's heads forcing them to put his name in. Couldn't it just be that people involved with those institutions really respect him?

I think the article was written with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but I did find myself nodding in agreement with this line:

He was always a preachy know-it-all, but there’s something charming about the idealistic pleas of a young Dubliner full of moral outrage that doesn’t work for a fancy-pants multimillionaire permanently decked in designer shades.

I know most people here love it, and I know his intent is good, but I find the public "Bono persona" a bit grating. And the sunglasses... :rolleyes: If he was a junkie, I could see them, but....

And this bit had me snorting oatmeal out my nose it was so dead on! :wink:

I imagine the Prog Rock Hall of Fame would be very colorful, and they’d have five tour guides doing the job of one. And just when you think the tour’s over, it goes on for another 10 minutes!

Last edited:
Good reasons for Pretenders being more influential than U2 - good eyeliner from Chrissie Hynde and a bunch of dead members. :up:

This is a thinly disguised "I hate Bono" (his public persona and social activism have so much to do with U2's music don't they?) article anyway, so it doesn't have any real value.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
This is a thinly disguised "I hate Bono" (his public persona and social activism have so much to do with U2's music don't they?) article anyway, so it doesn't have any real value.

I don't get why people hate Bono for helping people. Wow, what a bad man, trying to erase bad debts and allow millions to live better lives. That's so terrible, it just should not be allowed!

Haters will hate if you are popular. I agree with the sentiment that there are bands not in the Hall that deserve being nominated and inducted.

Helen: If the Pretenders never did anything past their first album, the band would still belong. The self-titled debut includes an obscure Kinks song, “Stop your Sobbing,” produced by Nick Lowe. Plus, Chrissie Hynde is hot, loudmouthed and opinionated. And two of the original members are dead. Guitarist James Honeyman-Scott died of a heroin overdose in 1982 — two days after they kicked bassist Pete Farndon out of the group for doing drugs. Then Farndon died of an overdose the next year. You don’t get more rock and roll than that.

LOL... those are definitely great qualifications were the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. :der: I know it was a joke but geez, it sounded moronic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom