U2-related things in Dublin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going the first week of October for my birthday! I cannot wait!!
Anybody else going at that time?
I would love to meet up with people and do the U2 tour/sites!My family are not as U2 crazy like me :crazy: :D So I will probably have to do a day alone hunting down all these places.
But I hear some aren't safe areas is that true? If I go in broad daylight say to Hanover Quay will I be ok alone? Do you have to walk there or taxi it?

Jeannieco said:
I'm going the first week of October for my birthday! I cannot wait!!
Anybody else going at that time?
I would love to meet up with people and do the U2 tour/sites!My family are not as U2 crazy like me :crazy: :D So I will probably have to do a day alone hunting down all these places.
But I hear some aren't safe areas is that true? If I go in broad daylight say to Hanover Quay will I be ok alone? Do you have to walk there or taxi it?

Hanover Quay is not the nicest place in Dublin but it's not the worst either. If you are planning to visit the studios on your own, I'd suggest going there during the day and leaving before it gets dark. If for some reason you want to hang out on the quay after it gets dark, try to take somebody with you. Also bear in mind there's a building site across the road so it's dusty and noisy and ful of trucks.

You can walk from the city centre to the studios, as it isn't too far away. There's no need to take a cab, unless you are tired and don't feel like walking. :)

blueeyedgirl said:

Is Dockers Pub still standing? Or has it been demolished already? :( Now that was a great bit of U2-dom :drool:

And just a query? Why would anyone go to Dublin and go to a Hard Rock cafe? If you want to go to the Hard Rock cafe, then why leave the US? (Is it like people who travel the world and only eat at McDonalds "to avoid foreign food" :huh: )

I don't think it's open anymore. I drove past Docker's before I came back to Buenos Aires and it was closed.

It's a pitty. It was a cool lil place.

POP-ROMANCER said:
At the Liffey there is also a u2 shop with lots of LP's, posters, cd's from u2. I think the name of the shop is just 'U2 SHOP'.

That's Rhythm Records, good shop lots of good stuff in there

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Hanover Quay is not the nicest place in Dublin but it's not the worst either. If you are planning to visit the studios on your own, I'd suggest going there during the day and leaving before it gets dark. If for some reason you want to hang out on the quay after it gets dark, try to take somebody with you. Also bear in mind there's a building site across the road so it's dusty and noisy and ful of trucks.

You can walk from the city centre to the studios, as it isn't too far away. There's no need to take a cab, unless you are tired and don't feel like walking. :)

Thank you Niamh! I appreciate any advice I can get!
So if you were a first-timer to Dublin and wanted to see the U2 points of interest, where would you start and in what order?
You are living there now? So cool!! :)

Jeannieco said:

Thank you Niamh! I appreciate any advice I can get!
So if you were a first-timer to Dublin and wanted to see the U2 points of interest, where would you start and in what order?
You are living there now? So cool!! :)

Ummmm, let´s see. I lived in Ireland for 3 years in total but I haven´t done all the U2-related things. What kind of fan am I? :happy:

Anyway, places of interest you should visit at some stage (in no particular order):

*Mount Temple School
*Mountjoy Gaol
*The Clarence
*Bonavox Hearing Aid shop
*Hanover Quay
*Windmill Lane
*The guys´houses. I´m not really into it but that´s just me. There are lots of peeps who would like to see where they live.

I know lots of people go to Ireland mainly because of the band but there are tons of unrelated U2 places that you shouldn´t miss: Powerscourt Gardens, Brittas Bay, Malahide Castle,Christchurch,Glendalough,Bray´s Head, Trinity College (it´s library is so :drool:),Marley Park (ok, not exactly a very popular spot but I love it...and Adam´s gaff is just across the road ;) ), Phoenix Park, Guinness Brewery, Jameson´s Distillery, the Hellfire Club, Johnny Fox´s and Bruxelles, my favourite watering hole. :lol:

Go to the tourist office on Suffolk Street for more suggestions. The people in there are lovely and will have lots of cool suggestions.

martha said:

Kilmainham Gaol was where A Celebration was filmed. Is that what you mean?

LMFAO!¨:laugh: Yes, thank you, dear. I think I was thinking of Mountjoy because my mother-in-law works around the corner.

Well, I´m sure Mountjoy has a certain appeal too.

:wink:

Ooh ooh, check out St. Stephen's as well. Oh and Malahide!! You can visit the castle AND the beach! :drool: I was a big fan of the Porterhouse too, the people there were just great! Oh and if you separate from your friends and want to meet up again, lol apparently everyone thinks the Spire is the best spot to regroup. You'll find that everybody standing around it is waiting for somebody.

Oh check out Bad Ass Cafe! They have pulleys!!! :hyper:

^^^ Thanks you guys for all the great info!
I am also doing family heritage stuff... my last name is the 9th most common name in Ireland... starts with O' :)

One of my great grandfathers dropped the O after immigrating here to America in the 19th century via Ellis Island. Typical Irish immigrant story! I cannot wait to dig deeper and find our family homestead. I think it's in Cork somewhere. Any suggestions about Cork?

Oh and I am not going to their private homes. That's too intrusive to me. To stand around and take pictures I mean!
I would feel so weird.

What is the name of that park with the big giant cross? I saw that on TV once and can't rememberthe park's name! It looked so beautiful!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom