U2 record Instant Karma for new Darfur album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
from @u2

A U2 cover of John Lennon's "Instant Karma" is included on Instant Karma, an upcoming CD project in support of Amnesty International's campaign to end the Darfur genocide. USA Today's Edna Gundersen has more details about the album, which is due out June 12th.

bonocomet said:
wow! :ohmy: I saw them perform it live in Portland :up:

me too!!! I was there!! Memories!:wink: I :heart: their cover of the song...!! I just plain love the song...:drool:

this is cool. I wonder if they will record a version of it or use a live version.. :hmm: I'm thinking it will a new recording of it..

Good song choice---it's one you can definitely see U2 doing & doing well.

Copy said:
are they all doing lennon songs?

March 12, 2007 — Burbank, CA — On June 12th, Warner Bros. Records in the United States, in conjunction with Amnesty International USA (AIUSA), will release Instant Karma: The Campaign To Save Darfur — a CD of more than 20 iconic songs by John Lennon recorded by an array of best-selling artists, including Green Day, R.E.M., Christina Aguilera, Jack Johnson, and Snow Patrol, as well as Corinne Bailey Rae, Regina Spektor, The Postal Service, and many more. Additional singles from various artists will be released in the weeks leading up to June 12th. Proceeds will support Amnesty International, the world’s largest grassroots human rights organization, and its campaign to focus attention and mobilize activism around the urgent catastrophe in Darfur, Sudan, and other human rights crises.
Supported by Yoko Ono, who has generously donated all music publishing
royalties, the CD — part of AI's global music activism project "Make Some Noise" — aims to harness the power of Lennon's solo songbook to inspire a new generation of activists to stand up for human rights.

I hope hope hope it's a studio version. It was great live but pretty sparse - not a stellar arrangement. Not sure how that would come off on record. This song is custom built for U2.

Back
Top Bottom