U2: read this! (it may hurt but it's the truth!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dismantled said:
everytime a fan complains an angel get his wings:cute:

:lmao:

I think it's increadibly arrogant for a fan to be saying stuff how U2 is boring and needs to change their sound. Believe it or not, millions of people love their new album and think it is increadible. U2 isn't going to change their sound just because one of their "fans" is bored with their music.

If you want something more "fresh" and "original", you can go check out a wonderful band called Coldplay :wink:

IrishDawg said:

:lmao:

I think it's increadibly arrogant for a fan to be saying stuff how U2 is boring and needs to change their sound. Believe it or not, millions of people love their new album and think it is increadible. U2 isn't going to change their sound just because one of their "fans" is bored with their music.

If you want something more "fresh" and "original", you can go check out a wonderful band called Coldplay :wink:

oh yeah... Coldplay they are so exciting:yawn: talk about original too:up::rolleyes:

:wink:

bono_man2002 said:

So the next album should be like...say American Idiot?
But titled "Irish Guiness"

Which tells the story of St.Bono and Edge Of The Future :giggle:

If U2 were to do reinvention in the way Green Day did with American Idiot, (or corse renventing in the U2 style) The next album would indeed be a step above the previous two.

This post confused me - was it meant to be sarcastic? If so, :up: . But if not :madspit:

If by "reinvention", you mean Green Day sounding exactly like they did 10 years ago, then I guess U2 could "reinvent" themselves to sound like they did on "Pop". Some might like that - but wait... Didn't the first three songs on "Pop" simply try to emulate the hot sounds that other bands did better in Europe at the time? Didn't some songs sound like a Beatle's rip-off ("Staring at the Sun")? And didn't the rest sound like classic U2 - only worse ("If God Will Send...")?

Viva la reinvetion!

doctorwho said:

If by "GREAT GREAT" you mean bad, then I agree. :up:

:mad:

what song are we talking about again..:huh:

oh yeah..."If God will send.." its a great song...you you....you big mean person:madspit:

Dismantled, you just have to realize that some people just aren't REAL U2 fans.

REAL U2 fans go beyond the obvious great songs on the radio and truly appreciate the not-so-obvious great songs at the core of their LP's -

songs like "Drowning Man", "Wire", "Surrender", "The Refugee", "MLK and America", "If God Will Send His Angels" and dozens of other great U2 songs that people that only want to scratch the surface completely miss.

schla01.gif

onyourkneesboy, plenty of people feel the same way as you do, but yeah, it's beating a dead horse around here. About a quarter of people will understand what you are saying, but disagree. About a quarter will understand what you are saying, and agree. A quarter won't understand what you are saying and will tell you that you are just a fucked up 90's fan who wants to hear Achtung II. A quarter won't understand what you are saying and will just say "Yeah man, Miracle Drug is fuckin' boring".

But don't worry, plenty of people feel it's gone very stale and more along the lines of a brand, not a band. Recent comments from the band about their approach to something new sound promising, but we all know they talk complete shit :wink: so we'll have to wait and see. Anyway, the Bomb's cycle is pretty much at it's close so I guess there's kind of a hold on these topics for now, until we have something else. Then in a couple of years we'll probably go back and say either "Well, at least the Bomb was better than THIS", or "SEE!!! They still have it, know what we are talking about NOW?!?!?!?"

Utoo said:

That's what people don't get. Everyone wants them to "be original" again, and yet the same people want them to return to the spirit of AB, Zooropa & Pop. Makes no sense.

What people really don't get are that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are original for U2. Neither album actually sounds like anything else U2 has done. And they sound different from each other. Yes, it's true. :yes:

Agree 100%!!!!! :yes:

bonosgirl84 said:
meh. i agreed with most of it except for this:

one step closer's lyrics are the worst.

somedays are better than others are way way worse.
playboy mansion is worse........

"if coke is a mystery........michael jackson history"

One step is a little more real..experiencing death

"I'm under the bridge that the rip tides taken everything I call my own"

"I can hear the drummer slowing"

not the best lyrics but not the worst.

Utoo said:

That's what people don't get. Everyone wants them to "be original" again, and yet the same people want them to return to the spirit of AB, Zooropa & Pop. Makes no sense.

The SPIRIT, not the sound. And that doesn't just apply to the 90's, in reality.

Geez... I really wish I had the nerves to post a thread like this, being a newbie and all... Although I'm not saying that I agree with anything the original poster said, even if I can't remember the name off the top of my head (also not saying I disagree with anything) I have to say that eventhough I don't understand why you post something negative about a band amongs thousands of die.hard fans, I think it's brave. Some fans have to realize that even if U2 are a great band, they're just humans, and they make mistakes just like everyone else. HTDAAB wasn't exactly what I would call the greatest moment of U2's career, on the other hand, it's a great album. Just not up there with JT or AB...

"I understand what you're saying and disagree."

But seriously, does anyone else find it hard to take someone seriously who uses "Blah-blah" as a noun?

8. Bono: be there 100% when it comes to the writing process. In the studio, FULL TIME, with the others all the time! Stimulate each other! Fight, argue, experiment, whatever but look for new grounds!

The others don't want him there full time, so I doubt that'll work.

U2Girl1978 said:
Oh sure! It wasn't towards your post. :) I'm kind of tired of the negativity in some of the threads.

Yeah, it's rather bizarre that so many people could join a message board / forum that is devoted to the love of U2 and they do nothing but criticise them!?!

I mean, a lot of these people seem really indifferent to U2 -

I don't know about anybody else, but only ABSOLUTE love or ABSOLUTE hate for something would cause me to join a forum and spend a significant amount of time commenting there!

The thing is though...

It's not just 'same shit different day' for the people criticizing the last 2 albums alone! That phrase applies to all camps here!

1. Those who like everything except the 90s.

2. Those who like everything except the last 2 albums.

3. Those who like only the 90s.

4. Those who like only the 80s.

5. Whatever.

Basically, that song 'Kissing A Fool' says it well...

People
You can never change the way they feel
Better let them do just what they will

I don't know how you can say 'same shit different decade' when the protests back in the day when AB was released and the protests now are exactly the opposite of each other.

Certain people who had fallen in love with the U2 of UF/JT/R&H didn't like AB because the music on it was more complex. It took more effort to get into it. It had by far more depth and complexity than any U2 album to that point. It is not a 'get it the first time' album. People wanted it to be easier to listen to.

With Bomb, it is the exact opposite. People protest it because it is TOO easy. Every song is designed to be a single, and you love the record the first time and by the tenth time you're bored of it.

Exact opposite problem. Not same shit.

namkcuR said:
I don't know how you can say 'same shit different decade' when the protests back in the day when AB was released and the protests now are exactly the opposite of each other.

Certain people who had fallen in love with the U2 of UF/JT/R&H didn't like AB because the music on it was more complex. It took more effort to get into it. It had by far more depth and complexity than any U2 album to that point. It is not a 'get it the first time' album. People wanted it to be easier to listen to.

With Bomb, it is the exact opposite. People protest it because it is TOO easy. Every song is designed to be a single, and you love the record the first time and by the tenth time you're bored of it.

Exact opposite problem. Not same shit.

That's not what I meant, dude! I agree completely with your post.

What I meant was people are never gonna let their opinion be changed by anybody no matter what! So there's no point in these threads!

We're gonna keep saying that the last 2 albums are sub-par compared to everything that came before! And somebody else is gonna keep saying that they're as good or even better! :shrug:

namkcuR said:

:eyebrow: Were you around then? This is not what the arguments were about. No one complained about the music being too "complex" or harder to get into.:huh:

They bitched about U2 embracing and incorporating technology, they thought it was selling out, they wanted U2 to remain pure. They thought U2 was trying to remain cool with dance remixes, etc.

They bitched about how Bono was singing "baby, baby, baby..."

They bitched about how Zoo TV's setlists didn't change much due to how the technology guided the tour.

So yeah same arguments different decade.

Zootlesque said:

That's not what I meant, dude! I agree completely with your post.

What I meant was people are never gonna let their opinion be changed by anybody no matter what! So there's no point in these threads!

We're gonna keep saying that the last 2 albums are sub-par compared to everything that came before! And somebody else is gonna keep saying that they're as good or even better! :shrug:

I wasn't responding to you dude, I was responding to the same thing you were responding to, when somebody said 'same shit different decade' a page or two ago :wink:

And honestly I only have a problem with Bomb. I like ATYCLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom