U2, Radiohead, and... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2002, 02:19 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Radiohead have plenty of "artistic" heat (although personally I was never -that- impressed with any of their stuff), but as some have already mentioned, they clearly have no desire to be as big as U2.

I like Coldplay a lot, but I think that they'll always remain a "fantastic little band". Which is not to slag them off, and of course I may be proved wrong in the long run, but right now I just don't think it's in them to be a true mega-band.

And although I've always had a big soft spot for bands like Travis, Coldplay, Starsailor, Doves, etc., I'd hate to think that these and only these bands represented the future. I mean, introspection is all fine and dandy, but I like a bit of good old-fashioned swagger too...

Old 08-18-2002, 03:38 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Yep, I agree...Coldplay will be the next big thing. They have the song writing capabilities and exceptional live performance to rank them right up there with the best in time. But I think that is exactly the key, time...if they continue to excel, I see no reason that they become a huge presence in the States as well as in Europe. BTW, I'm gonna see them on Sept. 10 in Los Angeles!

Old 08-18-2002, 05:25 AM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 12:14 AM
If you ask me, Coldplay have the potential to be the next REM, but not the next U2
Old 08-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 PM
My only fear with Radiohead (and I say fear because they are my 2nd favorite group) is that they so vehemently avoid the "mainstream" that in the end they may end up shooting themselves in the foot. A band that goes so far out of the way to avoid the mainstream usually ends up getting what they want: no sales and mediocre music. This is what, IMO, happened to Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder hated the limelight so much that, in the end, i think the band has suffered. Their last album is by far their worst, and they have been unable to capture the brilliance that was present on Vs. and Vitalogy. Besides that, they don't sell records anymore. They are still a good band (and great live --they rotate their setlist more than any other band which is a real treat for their diehards) but I feel they have lost something.

I had a bit of a Radiohead scare the other day. I got a copy (great quality) of their San Sebastian show (early July '02) where they debuted 8 new songs. I have listened to the songs quite a few times, and I have to say that they are downright terrible. I couldn't believe my ears. Never have I heard such bad material from a band I love. A couple of songs have potential (Sail To The Moon, and the music to Sit Down Stand Up). Yes I know they are raw, but they have this meabdering, unmelodic drone that is just awful, and this is coming from someone who has loved 99% of everything they have done. The rest of the show sounded great though. Anyway, like I said in the beginning I hopetheir bitterness doesn't end up killing the band.

Tags
radiohead