U2, Radiohead, and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
Coldplay. I have always (the last 6-7 years) thought radiohead is the only current band that could possibly be comparable to U2 in the long run. Talent, popularity, longevity, etc. After hearing Coldplay's A Rush Of Blood To The Head I would not put them third but in that group with U2 and radiohead. When you add to the equation how young coldplay is, could they possibly be bigger than both? That is a long shot and a long way off, but their new album makes it a reasonable question. These guys are very good, and its exciting to have another band at that cailber around.

jp

Well... I agree with you that Coldplay rock. But... prepare to get flamed. Many Radiohead fans here tend to disagree... quite strongly.

:crack:

Last edited:
no reason to make all this " biggest bands " stuff , it's uselless , listen to what u like with your heart and soul .

I disagree. I don't think Radiohead has reached the heights that U2 has.

I'm off to put on my fireproof suit now.

Last edited:
I have listened to the new Coldplay album. There are 5 or so really great songs that grabbed me right away after a first listen. So far, the Pepper's "By the Way" has been the best purchase I've made this year. I think that is about to change when this new Coldplay comes out in a week.

Coldplay and Radiohead are clearly the bands of the future. Where you place them is up to you. I think the one thing we can all be clear on is where Oasis are. They are just not up there (any more).

I agree with all of you. They are bands of the future. But in the future, there is room for many many bands to be great. It is possible though, that there might *not* be a band for a very long time that has such a wide-ranging appeal like U2 has.

I absolutely adore Coldplay. And I hope they stick around. Radiohead is incredible, and altho I'm not the hugest fan, I also look forward to seeing their future output.

I'd also like to say that bands like The Strokes, The White Stripes and Starsailor have me intrigued as well.

This is an interesting topic - but let's keep it friendly and remember that it's all subjective. You like who you wanna like, and no one is right or wrong here. So, no need to make it personal if you do not care for another's views or choices.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is even close to U2. They have been at or near the top for over twenty years, they have continually changed their sound which continues to remain singular and unique. Radiohead is the only band that comes even close. My only fear for Radiohead is that Thom Yorke is so bitter that I could see him imploding at some point. Radiohead is one of my favorite bands, but I must tell you I listened to 8 new songs that they debuted in a July 2002 San Sebastian show, and I was so disappointed. It was minimalist, unmelodic, and downright disappointing--however, I am sure they will get it together by March '03 when they release their next album--they are just too damn talented--I just worry about Thom. As for Coldplay, I think it is too early to tell--I do have the new album, but I haven't listened to it yet--is it better than Parachutes?

sidebar--as for harder stuff, I think Nine Inch Nails and TOOL are at the top as well.

Last edited:
Right now, I only see two bands, besides Radiohead, that have the potential to even come close to U2 (if they choose to):

1. Doves

2. Travis

Doves are the best new band in the world, and they have some serious business goin' on both their albums.

We've had this conversation over many times and I think you'll find many big Radiohead fans wouldn't want to compare them with U2 anyway. They are completely different bands. U2 have a huge mainstream following and thats something that Radiohead will never have, and never want to have.
Radiohead are happy with their place in the world and I don't think they won't to chase after the best band in the world title.
As far as their talent goes they probably are up there with U2 already, or maybe have even surpassed them as far as experimenting musically.
Chalk and cheese.

I don't think travis will ever become another U2. Doves mmm..not so sure on them either.
I think we just have to face that fact that no one else is or will be U2, and as far as I'm concerned thats a good thing!

none of these bands are really that huge in the United States, Doves are great but are playing small venues and the mainstream has no clue about them; they do know of radiohead and coldplay, but again, most of the mainstream only knows them casually, people in the US have known about U2 for 20 years, U2 had the fortune of breaking into the US when rock music was popular, now American kids only want to hear about Korn, Lincoln Park and Papa Roach -- the Oz Fest bands are what dominates; the mainstream US doesn't know about Elbow and Doves, they don't even know about their own like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

if you want to talk about outside the US, then I think Radiohead and Coldplay can rival U2, but not globally when you consider that most mainstream rock fans in the US can only vaguely hum a couple songs from each band (and yes, people get pissed at me putting so much emphasis on the US, but let's face it, that's what everyone wants to conquer commercially, and if you don't, you're not U2 or Rolling Stones BIG)

and that doesn't even take into account that Radiohead are superior to Coldplay, when Coldplay writes a record like OK Computer or Kid A (or even The Bends for that matter, and they've actually tried that), then you can talk about them with Radiohead... as it is now, Doves are much better than Coldplay (and I actually like Coldplay, but they're just another "good" band to me)

Last edited:
By the looks of your handle, I thought you'd say Pink Floyd.Your thoughts have betrayed you....welcome to dark side :mac:

1. as long as u2 keep making records, how is anyone going to be able to catch up to them?

2. yeah, thom yorke is bitter and it comes out in the music and at the end of the day people want to hear inspiration in song. They're still my 2nd fav band, but I bet they break up in another 2 years.

3. here in the u.s., coldplay had 1 hit (yellow).
1 hit do not make a u2 rival in the making. however, I'm gonna check them out since everyone seems to be fond of them.

I agree with you JOFO.U2 has been doing it consistently since a very long time and then there are these young talented bands, who gets too much pressurised by the media with comparisons.

i'd like to put the manic street preachers in there
for their best album is up there with the best done by U2 and Radiohead

and no, its not everything must go, this is my truth tell me yours, but its the incredibly powerful and political epic The Holy Bible

now if you want to get angry and be infuriated, this is the album for you, its to the point, its to bring up every disgusting thing in human existence, and its making a point, americans might not like this album too much because it is making the point that its SO obvious there is an invasion occuring by the americans, it might not be nazi germany but they are making everyone kiss their ass for no good reason, and that is in many ways, worse

anyway its no surprise they never made another album of that magnitude, for one, it costed them one member, but i guess sometimes people are made to suffer for their art, and the manics were one to do so

after that they chose a path of making 'suitable for arena pop/rock tunes' in everything must go and this is my truth tell me yours, and though they arent everyone's cup of tea, they have carved a nice corner of recognition in the music industry

Last edited:
Radiohead have plenty of "artistic" heat (although personally I was never -that- impressed with any of their stuff), but as some have already mentioned, they clearly have no desire to be as big as U2.

I like Coldplay a lot, but I think that they'll always remain a "fantastic little band". Which is not to slag them off, and of course I may be proved wrong in the long run, but right now I just don't think it's in them to be a true mega-band.

And although I've always had a big soft spot for bands like Travis, Coldplay, Starsailor, Doves, etc., I'd hate to think that these and only these bands represented the future. I mean, introspection is all fine and dandy, but I like a bit of good old-fashioned swagger too...

Yep, I agree...Coldplay will be the next big thing. They have the song writing capabilities and exceptional live performance to rank them right up there with the best in time. But I think that is exactly the key, time...if they continue to excel, I see no reason that they become a huge presence in the States as well as in Europe. BTW, I'm gonna see them on Sept. 10 in Los Angeles!

My only fear with Radiohead (and I say fear because they are my 2nd favorite group) is that they so vehemently avoid the "mainstream" that in the end they may end up shooting themselves in the foot. A band that goes so far out of the way to avoid the mainstream usually ends up getting what they want: no sales and mediocre music. This is what, IMO, happened to Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder hated the limelight so much that, in the end, i think the band has suffered. Their last album is by far their worst, and they have been unable to capture the brilliance that was present on Vs. and Vitalogy. Besides that, they don't sell records anymore. They are still a good band (and great live --they rotate their setlist more than any other band which is a real treat for their diehards) but I feel they have lost something.

I had a bit of a Radiohead scare the other day. I got a copy (great quality) of their San Sebastian show (early July '02) where they debuted 8 new songs. I have listened to the songs quite a few times, and I have to say that they are downright terrible. I couldn't believe my ears. Never have I heard such bad material from a band I love. A couple of songs have potential (Sail To The Moon, and the music to Sit Down Stand Up). Yes I know they are raw, but they have this meabdering, unmelodic drone that is just awful, and this is coming from someone who has loved 99% of everything they have done. The rest of the show sounded great though. Anyway, like I said in the beginning I hopetheir bitterness doesn't end up killing the band.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom