U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BRkLNxdCQAAP-Vj.png:large

New U2 album in November according to the Spanish FNAC website.

I'm certainly not expecting a total reinvention. Not sure if anyone here is, and if so, it's probably a bit naive. I'm not even sure I would want a total reinvention. I just want some really good new music.

I take issue with the idea that it is impossible to do at 52. Of course it is possible. Will it happen? I'm not betting my paycheck on it.

So you can't think of anybody. That's cool. Neither do I. There are artists making good music in their 50s, but all of the cases I know of is that those artists are perfectly comfortable in their own skin right now and with their established sound (Nick Cave, Neil Young, David Bowie etc.). Better not to expect any radical changes or breaking new ground, because one might be faced with a NLOTH-like disappointment, which was unfortunately hyped as this new Achtung Baby-like reinvention. It wasn't.

While I wouldn't call Cave's Push the Sky Away a "reinvention," it is a bold record that stands apart stylistically from the rest of his catalogue. I didn't think it was possible for an artist thirty years into a career to rival let alone best their finest works, but Cave did it. The thing about U2 is they don't have the "I'm going to do whatever the hell I want" attitude that Cave has.

I think that's the same place that posted a sign in their store a couple months ago claiming a November release, so the webpage could just be an extension of that. Regardless, it's good to see, I guess. Better than nothing.

While I wouldn't call Cave's Push the Sky Away a "reinvention," it is a bold record that stands apart stylistically from the rest of his catalogue. I didn't think it was possible for an artist thirty years into a career to rival let alone best their finest works, but Cave did it. The thing about U2 is they don't have the "I'm going to do whatever the hell I want" attitude that Cave has.

I like Push the Sky Away, but I wouldn't say that record stands apart dramatically from the rest of his catalogue. It's a natural progression from what came before and that's perfectly fine. In any case, I consider Cave possibly being the only musician I know of whose output actually improved consistently with time and whose best records can be found in the third decade of his career.

And again, I didn't say 50-year-olds can't be creative. What I meant was that there is next to zero chance that some huge reinvention awaits us. Yeah, anything's possible. But at this point, I'd be perfectly happy with a decent record that I would still like to hear four or five years after it came out (I have no wish to do that for the last three albums).

To try and get back to the topic, this is the link for the Spanish website: Alertas FNAC

Doesn't seem official to me, since there is that vague Metallica announcement as well right below.

Fair enough. Which band had a dramatic reinvention in their 50s? I'm genuinely curious because I can't think of any. And I consider creativity and the will to dream it all up again to be two slightly different things.

I doubt they'll ever completely reinvent themselves, but plenty of bands release strong, good material late into their careers. As some mentioned, Johnny Cash was a complete reinvention and it was incredible. Another artists that released some of their best material late in their career (even if they weren't reinventions): Bruce Springsteen certainly comes to mind.

Tidbits of information :drool:

Most of those are solo artists though. It seems easier for them to keep releasing good music later in their careers. We've had that discussion tons of times as well...

i think the Spanish Fnac site has had that alert for a while now... although i don't remember seeing the month stated before though...

I agree with djerap here. Once again, he NEVER SAID that artists over 50 aren't creative. He was responding to the cliche quoting of "dream it all up again". Does anyone truly think this band can wipe the slate clean and go in a completely unpredictable direction?

Because U2 had already taken so many left turns along their career, and explored so much musical territory, it would be difficult for them to truly surprise at this point, especially as they're concerned with remaining relevant (Bono's own words) in a mainstream fashion.

So instead of expecting something miraculous, just keep things in perspective and simply hope for a good collection of uncompromised material with a fresh sound. Because you ain't getting Zooropa.

Also, FNAC is not going to have information before anyone else.

Not sure why this old news is even worth discussing. It's some optimistic corporate speculation.

That FNAC announcement has got to be fake. I don't think even the band knows when the album will be released, judging by what Bono and, more recently, Larry said.

NLOTH was a decent album from a band still capable of putting out some interesting material, though it's not exactly innovative. I take that album as an sign that U2 is not done being all that they can be. The only reason that we haven't seen a complete Achtung Baby-like turnaround from a band this late into their careers is because, as someone already suggested, most bands don't even last this long. U2 is on territory few have walked in, and those that do tend to have their own well-established signature sounds that characterize them, while U2 likes to change it up often. Most bands don't even have such a reinvention as AB, period. I don't know what to expect of this new album, but I think they're still capable of producing something beyond "more of the same." I'm sure they know that too.

I agree with djerap here. Once again, he NEVER SAID that artists over 50 aren't creative. He was responding to the cliche quoting of "dream it all up again". Does anyone truly think this band can wipe the slate clean and go in a completely unpredictable direction?

Because U2 had already taken so many left turns along their career, and explored so much musical territory, it would be difficult for them to truly surprise at this point, especially as they're concerned with remaining relevant (Bono's own words) in a mainstream fashion.

So instead of expecting something miraculous, just keep things in perspective and simply hope for a good collection of uncompromised material with a fresh sound. Because you ain't getting Zooropa.
Spot on :up:

I cannot say how I know this and I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this but we should see the new album November 18th in the States. Those who know me know that I'm not BSing this.

It's good marketing because it gives Lady Gaga a week to dominate then U2 will get their turn. They'll battle it out through Christmas.

Up-and-coming bands, take note: the cool thing to do if you are releasing an album in 2013 is to give barely any details, put some stuff on random buildings and hope that people speculate accurately and build the hype you pretend you don’t want.

Kanye did it earlier this year with his cryptic “June 19” tweet and “New Slaves” projections. Now it looks like Arcade Fire might be following suit. That, or some random band named “Reflektor” is hitting the buzz jackpot. Or maybe it’s that new U2 album we’ve been waiting for. We just don’t know anymore.

Arcade Fire Possibly, Maybe Releasing New Single Sept. 9 :: Music :: News :: Paste

I cannot say how I know this and I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this but we should see the new album November 18th in the States. Those who know me know that I'm not BSing this.

Thanks for the info. I'm normally suspicious of this kind of stuff but you've been around for a while and in my experience, you don't seem to be the type of person that would mess with everyone. :up:

Thanks for the info. I'm normally suspicious of this kind of stuff but you've been around for a while and in my experience, you don't seem to be the type of person that would mess with everyone. :up:

Just remember its U2 we're talking about here. They could decide to record the whole damn thing over on November 17th lol

The Cowboys fumble the ball at the goal line and the Eagles recover, im pissed off and slam my glass down on the table. That would have been the game tying score...oh well. So I get up and make my way over to the bar and order another round, at this moment I realize there is a strange guy with a curly afro who appears to be looking at me. He's wearing sunglasses in the bar, that's nice. On my way back to my table I notice he still seems to be watching me. I've had enough of this shit, I decide to go outside and check out the weather.

Outisde its dreary, somewhat chilly, and there is light rain coming down. I hear the bar door open behind me and naturally its strange curly afro guy right behind me, he stands next to me, still looking at me but says nothing. Finally I have to speak, "look, I don't know what you want but I can assure you I don't have any, nor do I want any, nor do I swing that way." Thinking ive covered all of the bases, I decide to leave the bastard outside in the parking lot and get back to my worthless game and beverage.

"Take me to your car" strange curly afro guy says, which causes me to look back at him and shake my head in amazement. "You have a car don't you? Take me to it NOW!" he demands. I stop at the door, getting a bit irritated with this mess "Look dickhead, I don't know what your deal is but I promise you are barking up the wrong tree. I won't tell you again..."

Back inside the bar im at my table again, surveying the room there is a group of twenty-something military guys at one table, and then off in the other corner there is a late thirty-something woman, very stocky build, short hair, wearing an Eagles jersey. I mutter under my breath something about her jersey, when about that time strange curly afro guy comes back in and stops right in front of me. He takes off his glasses and then pulls a fake moustache out of his jacket pocket, and puts it on his upper lip. "I need your car keys, now!" he says and he reaches into his pocket and points something at me.

I abruptly stand up, knocking over a chair or two in the process, inviting the strange curly afro guy to a fair fight - minus weapons. He thinks for a moment and then puts on his sunglasses, and asks me to pay his bar tab. I look over at his table and there was a glass of water and a couple of napkins. I tell him I will pay his tab if he leaves the bar immediately and doesn't come back. He leans close to me and asks me to keep a secret, pulls off his curly afro wig to reveal a buzz cut, then proceeds to tell me the lady over in the corner is his sister and he's got to get her back home so she can take her meds. I ask him what her name is, and he replies "Kentucky 72, lilly silly, spring toad 14 wet frog slam BAM!"

Carefully I approach the late thirty something stocky woman, who sported very short hair and an Eagles jersey. "Excuse me ma'am, are you Mrs. Ken-tucky toad wet slam BAM?" She stands up, looks me over, and then grabs her pitcher of beer and dumps it over my head, putting the empty pitcher upside down over the top of my head. The she gets up close to me and knees me really hard in the groin, sending me down on my own knees. For good measure she then kicks me in the stomach, which sends me flat on the ground, gasping for air.

I see her walk over to strange curly afro guy, minus the strange curly afro, and give him a big longing kiss on the mouth. So long, in fact, that his fake moustache sticks to her upper lip now. The two depart, holding hands, as im fading off into the distance.

I wake up a few moments later with a sick feeling in my gut, groin area, still soaking wet, and rather weak. I cannot seem to find my car keys anywhere, and the bartender is now under the impression that I was picking up everyone's tab in the bar. I fumble around looking for my wallet, of course it too is missing. Meanwhile on tv the Cowboys field the ball deep into their own territory, and on first down they somehow fumble the snap and the Eagles recover, giving the Eagles great field position two scores up with 4 minutes left to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom