U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Globo14

Refugee
Continuing on from the last thread, this is your official one-stop shop for discussing everything from Larry's recent baseball fix to Sillywhite's cryptic tweets.

What we know: not much from the old threads. Larry was at a Yankee's game in NYC last night (August 10) and supposedly told a fan that they "hope to have the album finished by the end of the year".

Well, I don't expect to hear U2 on the Top-40 stations, so it's going to be the more AC-oriented stations I'm referring to ;). And, really, even the one's that play pre-90s U2 still tend to rotate the new singles pretty frequently. Though, Magnificent was not as well-played. And forget any singles after that one. Radio-wise, NLOTH was a flop. HTDAAB did well no the radio, though, in my experience.
It's because NLOTH was a radio flop that I think that U2 have very little chance of any major radio play, barring a huge single. I hope to be proven wrong.

On the Christmas music thingy, maybe we are too concentrated on FM radio here. I listen mostly to XM, which I think a lot of people do as well (or some other alternative outlet) so I don't think the holiday music thing is as bad as we might think.
I agree with this a lot. I've got XM too, and can think of a handful of stations they would be played on.

Previous thread lasted about two weeks. Two weeks from now takes us into the last week of August. I'm feeling good about this one. :up:

Pop culture dominance is a fickle thing, even for Bowie and Kanye - latimes.com

I saw this in the paper this morning and thought it was an interesting in light of the speculation/hopefulness of a "stealth" U2 album release. It's just not going to happen that way.

"In these and other instances, we're being led to focus on the wrong thing — or being led not to focus on the right thing."

AMEN. Enough with focusing on 'hype'. Things are far too fast-paced and it needs to slow down a bit. I remember in the 90s the onslaught of pop acts like BSB, their planned counterparts NSync, and of course, Britney and Christina.

Now 20 years later, BSB are touring on a small scale, released an album without a "lead" single so to speak, and are still doing what they love, regardless. Can the same be said for NSync, not to mention the media disasters both Britney and Christina became over the years?

Not that I am comparing U2 to pop acts, mind you...but who would you rather they "be"? Someone like Jay-Z whose tour with Justin Timberlake is running $500 for back floor seats? A media joke like Britney? Or would you prefer a quiet album release and a tour meant more for their fanbase than for the media? Think about it for a while.

..."stealth" U2 album release. It's just not going to happen that way.

Agreed.

All they needed to do was have Bono shut his hyperbolic yapper.
That's the only thing they really needed to do different this time around.

All the surprise of whatever stealth approach they're taking is going to be gone 24hrs after the lead single hits the net anyway.

But whatever, all that matters is the music.

If the album is delayed till 2014, let's just say the band is down to 9 reasons to exist, imo.

Heyo!

I seriously even doubt they'll call it that, honestly.

My money rests on a short title. The last few have all been long-winded. ATYCLB, HDDAAB, and NLOTH. Time for short, sweet, or dare I say it....sexy. Seductive. Something to draw you in, sink hooks into you, and remind you exactly why you love this band in the first place.

I seriously even doubt they'll call it that, honestly.

My money rests on a short title. The last few have all been long-winded. ATYCLB, HDDAAB, and NLOTH. Time for short, sweet, or dare I say it....sexy. Seductive. Something to draw you in, sink hooks into you, and remind you exactly why you love this band in the first place.
How about a sequel to Pop, called "Rock"?

That's almost too cliche, even for them. But if we're gonna reference old albums, I'll throw my two cents in and say they should call it something like "No More Warning" for AB. :wink: :twocents:
It was intended as a joke, but it's still better than some drivel like "Ten Reasons to Exist".

Did I miss something? Spill it.
I don't even know when/where it originated (it was quite a while ago, like over a year if I remember right), but it's some lame, fake title that people keep hanging onto as if it's actually plausible.

Jokes aside, I'm all for a one or two word album title. :wink:
I would be too, though like was said on the last page, it's really about the music (duh). The title is what I care about the least in an album, actually.

The whole 10 reasons to exist thing came from a quote from bono saying they need 10 reasons to exist as in they need 10 great songs or something of that matter. Someone I guess assumed that it was the title of the album. But if memory serves right, Bono never said it was the title he just said they needed ten reasons to exist.

The whole 10 reasons to exist thing came from a quote from bono saying they need 10 reasons to exist as in they need 10 great songs or something of that matter. Someone I guess assumed that it was the title of the album. But if memory serves right, Bono never said it was the title he just said they needed ten reasons to exist.

Actually he did say within the band they are calling the album ten reasons to exist, and the media ran with it. Of course we all know he's been using that phrase for years about their albums, but the rest of the world doesn't!

Here is the quote, he said it in December 2012:

"Within the band, we've been calling it '10 Reasons To Exist' – but I will tell you we might have at least six of them," joked Bono.

Funny how it even says "joked Bono". :wink:

It's because NLOTH was a radio flop that I think that U2 have very little chance of any major radio play, barring a huge single. I hope to be proven wrong.

I find that HIGHLY unlikely. Most band's of U2's stature tend to get at least a one-single chance when they've been in the spotlight and succeeded as well as the two albums before NLOTH did.

Again, this is just in my experience. Only expertise here being that I just listen to a LOT of radio.

Actually he did say within the band they are calling the album ten reasons to exist, and the media ran with it. Of course we all know he's been using that phrase for years about their albums, but the rest of the world doesn't!

He could have said, "We're calling it 'Boy, This Had Better Not Suck, or Else Man, We're Finished' within the band, actually, and I tell you, I think it might not, and we may not be." and people would still take the title literally.

Oh, and they'd flip over the references to 'Boy' and 'Man' as bookends to their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom