U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #141
The Fly

Local Time: 02:12 AM
U2 are at their best when they don't care about the hit single. Since they made Thrill Me Kiss Me, which was a hit non sounding U2 song, though it seems they want one non sounding U2 commercial hit per album. ATYCLB is an excellent album. Elevation though, singing about a mole just brings it down a notch. HTDAAB is their worst album ever made but Vertigo is like Elevation #2. However it's much better. Get on Your Boots could have been great but parts of is suck, You dont know how beautiful you are.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #142
The Fly

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the scuv View Post
OK, here's something interesting.

Years ago (back in Pop Mart times) a composite company near me was asked to quote & manufacture the cocktail sticks & arch for the popmart stage. The only reason I found out about it was that I copied the plans they used to quote from & they had the U2 logo on them.

Unfortunately, the composite company no longer exists, but many of the employees where 'swallowed up' into another composite company, & then again, blah blah etc etc.

Well, it just so happens that a friend of mine works for this now re-owned re purposed company & he told me that in July they were asked to 'tender' for a job & again it had the U2 logo on it. He said the items in the drawing were 'very' non descriptor like arc shaped beams (or something) but not that big. Possibly part of an interlocking structure. The only interesting thing was that the tender deadline was September the 13th. The reason the date was so pertinent was that it is a Friday, as in 'unlucky Friday 13th'.

Make of it what you will, (& I know most will be thinking, another friend of a friend crapola) but, 'perhaps' there are things afoot behind the iron curtain
Interesting rumor, thanks for sharing.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #143
Refugee

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Temple View Post

One last thought....Rattle & Hum is pretty weak and that was put together during their pinnacle of success and prosperity 87-93. So yeah , cut the boys a break.
I must take serious umbrage here Hawkmoon, Heartland, Desire, AoL, GP2, AIWIY are astronomically better songs than 90% of what U2 cooked up in the entire 00s. R&H also happens to be the third best-selling U2 album of all time. Right now, U2 would kill to have that level of song craftmanship and commercial success.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #144
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfly View Post

I must take serious umbrage here Hawkmoon, Heartland, Desire, AoL, GP2, AIWIY are astronomically better songs than 90% of what U2 cooked up in the entire 00s. R&H also happens to be the third best-selling U2 album of all time. Right now, U2 would kill to have that level of song craftmanship and commercial success.
Totally agree. Take away the live songs and this is a very strong album. Probably their fifth best.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #145
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:12 AM
To come back to the "new" album, I believe it is finished! Now they are enjoying their holidays, not working on anything, biking, getting married, etc...... when they will come back from holidays, the U2 machine will start moving, I'm pretty sure about it. Early september we will hear something. Just my own logical thoughts
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
You also have to consider the fact that he has lost his creative magic and can now only try to write what he thinks are classic U2 lyrics.
Have to consider the fact or the possibility?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #147
The Fly

For those of us graying at the temples like myself: we tend to soften with age. We don't have the same piss and vinegar we did in the our mid 20s and early 30s. I guess that would also affect ones artistic expression. The fact that the lads are still even trying makes me feel blessed. There are exceptions but even James Hetfield has been crucified by loyal fans for softening up Metallica. If B and the lads read some of this thread often (doubt it) then it's no wonder we get Greatest hits tours so to speak. The know they can't keep the hardcores happy.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #148
New Yorker

Once the promotion wagon starts up they gotta make a trip out to Vancouver and be interviewed by Nardwuar
Old 08-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #149
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofsorrow View Post
i can't stop

A photon torpedo? Seriously? A self propelling, underwater beam of light? Nice try but that's impossible.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #150
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
SCUBA, on the other hand, can never be full explained. He's an enigma.
Nah. NSW is just a douchebag, that's all. We all wish we could put him in a SCUBA suit and dump him on the ocean floor.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #151
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 10:12 PM
If U2 doesn't release an album soon, I'm going to sue them for driving me to finally walk myself right on into a permanent banning from this...cesspool.

lol
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #152
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Evans View Post
For those of us graying at the temples like myself: we tend to soften with age. We don't have the same piss and vinegar we did in the our mid 20s and early 30s. I guess that would also affect ones artistic expression. The fact that the lads are still even trying makes me feel blessed. There are exceptions but even James Hetfield has been crucified by loyal fans for softening up Metallica. If B and the lads read some of this thread often (doubt it) then it's no wonder we get Greatest hits tours so to speak. The know they can't keep the hardcores happy.
I agree with this to one extent, and disagree to another...

I fully understand that bono will be writing less about teenage angst and the loss of his mother and more about parenthood, marriage and old guy stuffs.

Where I disagree is with the political aspects of bono's lyrics... the band of Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, etc. haven't written a powerful political song since Please in 1997... in the middle of an incredibly changing and controversial political and socioeconomic climate.

In that sense, I believe, as most do, that Bono's political work has softened the edge of his political lyrics.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #153
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
the band of Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, etc. haven't written a powerful political song since Please in 1997...
They could really use one of these right now..and I couldn't agree more, there's plenty to write about.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #154
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
They could really use one of these right now..and I couldn't agree more, there's plenty to write about.
Love and Peace or Else?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Evans View Post
some people will never give up on the idea that U2 can has to release an album where every song sounds like Exit in order to be great again
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #156
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post

Love and Peace or Else?
Love and peace or else turned into a pretty cool live song... but has zero balls.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #157
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
Love and Peace or Else?
Nah, toothless (and quite boring) rhetoric. Ditto Crumbs. Those two numbers could have made very pointed statements (and, yes, Native Son as well), but got lyrically castrated. Whether or not Bono was aware of it, there's no doubt he compromised his voice by hobnobbing with too many power players.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfly View Post
Whether or not Bono was aware of it, there's no doubt he compromised his voice by hobnobbing with too many power players.
Let's just repeat that one so that Bono is sure to see it when he catches up on this thread today.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Love and peace or else turned into a pretty cool live song... but has zero balls.
Love and Balls or else?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I agree with this to one extent, and disagree to another...

I fully understand that bono will be writing less about teenage angst and the loss of his mother and more about parenthood, marriage and old guy stuffs.

Where I disagree is with the political aspects of bono's lyrics... the band of Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, etc. haven't written a powerful political song since Please in 1997... in the middle of an incredibly changing and controversial political and socioeconomic climate.

In that sense, I believe, as most do, that Bono's political work has softened the edge of his political lyrics.
Spot On

Tags
christmas music, fall 2013, fall 2014, larry at a baseball game, lillywhitewashing, new album, new album please, sillywhite, spring 2014, u2