U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always a little worried that it will be late 2014, or later.

Yeah, I was pretty positive about things until August hit, and it's been silence sprinkled with "sources" claiming 2014 and Bono saying the band is Lost (Jacob brought him to the island)....oh yeah, and Larry's "finished by end of year" comment.

I do really believe though that the album will be in early 2014 due to the fact that's we've heard bits and pieces about a 2014 tour.

I just can't see them doing another spring release. In fact didn't Paul McG come out and say they wanted to do only year end releases going forward as its the best chance to maximize sales.

Granted the album could be spectacular and sell on that alone....but it really is a diff market place.

Regardless I don't see U2 having a hit no matter how good the song is. Their days of top 40 are over. Lots of hits....nah

Unless they get flavor of the month crossover song.

I just want good music. Something that challenges you at first and keep coming back

keep-calm-and-ignore-bono_zpsf5ba861c.png

i want that as my avi picture :lol:

:doh:

Yeah this is really getting suspect now. I mean, I don't personally think Cross visits Interference other than when someone alerts him. So who on this site is being the douche and leading him on with this shit?

Unless...

oh man

Are you suggesting Alan Cross is one of us? ;)

Anyway won't the tour tickets sale machine move at the same time of the VERY first official album details (if not even earlier, since we're talking about a big name like Live Nation), right?

Anyway won't the tour tickets sale machine move at the same time of the VERY first official album details (if not even earlier, since we're talking about a big name like Live Nation), right?

No. Usually a couple months after.

No. Usually a couple months after.

Ok then.
As I said previously, I think that if there's a delay to early 2014, it's just because they are in a position where they don't need to rush things and, even if the album seemed to be awaited this fall from clues here and there, there's still some things to require a final touch. If there's a virtual deadline, that has to be in a tour perspective, but it seems there's much time still.

I just can't see them doing another spring release. In fact didn't Paul McG come out and say they wanted to do only year end releases going forward as its the best chance to maximize sales.

This probably was the case until the middle of the last decade, but like you said -- it's a different marketplace now. The economics of the music industry have shifted to where the album hypes the tour, as opposed to vice-versa -- as we even saw with 360. So in that light, a spring album release that hypes an 18-month (?) tour might actually make more sense. Even if the album doesn't sell all that well (4M-5M albums), it becomes a reason for the band to go out. The band might care less about album sales now than they do about getting out there and playing live, given all the "live is where we live" statements they've made over the years.

I think Justin Timberlake proved you can still sell loads of albums with a spring release. You just need good marketing.

:doh:

Yeah this is really getting suspect now. I mean, I don't personally think Cross visits Interference other than when someone alerts him. So who on this site is being the douche and leading him on with this shit?

Unless...

oh man

:lol:

I think Justin Timberlake proved you can still sell loads of albums with a spring release. You just need good marketing.

You don't need good marketing.

You need a good album.

No Line didn't fall because it was spring, nor did it fall because of the marketing, which frankly was quite extensive.

It failed (relatively speaking of course as it would be a massive success for most bands) because it wasn't good enough.

When did Bono start going the slobbish Van Morrison route?

That's it, no album ever:sad:

You can have a successful album with little to no mainstream radio success in today's day and age.
I don't think you can have the level of success U2 want without a big radio song. They want to be the biggest band out there with everyone talking about them. You still need the radio for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom