U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just skimming the last few pages of the last thread and I see that Alter of a Banned Member was suggesting that the excuse for "Native Son" not being on HTDAAB was suspect. All I can say to that is, I saw Bono saying that A LOT in interviews around the time. The whole, he couldn't imagine himself singing the song every night, thing. I hated it at first, but as I've come to know the story behind the song a little better in the years following, I'm a little glad the song didn't make the album.

Just skimming the last few pages of the last thread and I see that Alter of a Banned Member was suggesting that the excuse for "Native Son" not being on HTDAAB was suspect. All I can say to that is, I saw Bono saying that A LOT in interviews around the time. The whole, he couldn't imagine himself singing the song every night, thing. I hated it at first, but as I've come to know the story behind the song a little better in the years following, I'm a little glad the song didn't make the album.

And as I said before, If they told him to change the lyrics they would have no problem telling him to give excuses. Id still like to see all these interviews you speak of.

So with no concrete news on a new album and with all speculation and rumours about it essentially at a repetitious standstill, we've resorted to conspiracy theories about a nine year old album?

What fun.

"In these and other instances, we're being led to focus on the wrong thing — or being led not to focus on the right thing."

AMEN. Enough with focusing on 'hype'. Things are far too fast-paced and it needs to slow down a bit. I remember in the 90s the onslaught of pop acts like BSB, their planned counterparts NSync, and of course, Britney and Christina.

Now 20 years later, BSB are touring on a small scale, released an album without a "lead" single so to speak, and are still doing what they love, regardless. Can the same be said for NSync, not to mention the media disasters both Britney and Christina became over the years?

Not that I am comparing U2 to pop acts, mind you...but who would you rather they "be"? Someone like Jay-Z whose tour with Justin Timberlake is running $500 for back floor seats? A media joke like Britney? Or would you prefer a quiet album release and a tour meant more for their fanbase than for the media? Think about it for a while.

I'll take the the quiet "damn the Top 40!" album and tour any day. I could care less about U2's new music on the radio. I want some crazy experimentation and willingness just to do what they want. That is what I like and respect about Bowie and a lot of other big powerhouses of old.

Please tell me this isn't Jick we're dealing with.

And as I said before, If they told him to change the lyrics they would have no problem telling him to give excuses. Id still like to see all these interviews you speak of.

Shut the fuck up, troll.

Original links to the article are dead, but here you go.

How would you describe your first set of lyrics to "Vertigo"? Originally, it was called "Native Son" -- a reference to the jailed American Indian activist Leonard Peltier.

It was a new-journalism approach. I don't think this man should be in prison. But the song just didn't change the molecules in the room. We made the mistake of sending "Native Son" to Interscope, because we were jumping up and down over it at first. And they started jumping up and down. And then we sort of stopped. It wasn't as good as we thought.

I'll take the the quiet "damn the Top 40!" album and tour any day. I could care less about U2's new music on the radio. I want some crazy experimentation and willingness just to do what they want. That is what I like and respect about Bowie and a lot of other big powerhouses of old.

This really is a repetitious argument by now, but I'm pretty sure that U2 just won't go for this- that they would see letting go of the top 40 as a kind of defeat. They've always aimed for cultural dominance, not just success and that means radio, or at least whatever the current equivalent of "radio" is these days. Elevation was a quiet tour but that record was all about regaining mainstream popularity.

We pretty well know that this tour will be much more stripped down than the last, but good guesses about the tone of this record are hard to find. And as for Bowie, the article on the first page of this thread referenced how quickly his new album has faded from thought even after its big stealth drop. U2 will have noticed that by now, too, and taken notes.

Wait...'cock n balls' is an alter of a banned member?

:corn:

Yeah, we went through it a few threads ago. It was one of a couple of our site legends. Jick was a popular choice, and so were Jarvis, MrBrau, and LastEdgeOnEarth. Admitted to being a previously banned member, and curiously has gone under the mod radar. Perhaps waiting for another epic explosion?

Yeah, we went through it a few threads ago. It was one of a couple of our site legends. Jick was a popular choice, and so were Jarvis, MrBrau, and LastEdgeOnEarth. Admitted to being a previously banned member, and curiously has gone under the mod radar. Perhaps waiting for another epic explosion?

This place still has mod's?

Please tell me this isn't Jick we're dealing with.

Shut the fuck up, troll.
He straight up said he was the alter if a banned member, himself.

This place still has mod's?

Not sure what the deal is. I rarely do so, but I did report that post at the time. They must know...

Precisely! To hell with expectation! They're to the point where they don't "need" media recognition or praise to get sales and have albums be successful. I think this fanbase has proven that. We just want the damned music. :up:

However, as much as it's pretty to think, I seriously doubt U2 would ditch radio completely. :huh:

So I'm going to try to be a little more positive for the next week or two. I was thinking about timelines this morning. Let's say the album isn't released until the end of November, getting some kind of announcement in mid August would be really early. I think the real deadline is after the first week of September. If we know nothing more by then, then it's not happening this year.

So I'm going to try to be a little more positive for the next week or two. I was thinking about timelines this morning. Let's say the album isn't released until the end of November, getting some kind of announcement in mid August would be really early. I think the real deadline is after the first week of September. If we know nothing more by then, then it's not happening this year.

yeah, there's really no reason for anybody to freak out or be pessimistic right now. larry told a fan at yankee stadium that they hope to finish the album this year. as laz said in the previous thread, that can mean a million different things. finishing the album can include artwork, mixing, packaging, developing an app that Bono seems hell bent on.

still seems like we're on track for an album this year.

Very good Mikal, stay positive! There is a lot of time left...football season hasn't even really started yet and we are still essentially in Summer. We are talking about an album with a potential late fall release date, so there are a lot of things happening. I think we'll know a lot more when the temperatures start to change and the days get a bit shorter.

Very good Mikal, stay positive! There is a lot of time left...football season hasn't even really started yet and we are still essentially in Summer. We are talking about an album with a potential late fall release date, so there are a lot of things happening. I think we'll know a lot more when the temperatures start to change and the days get a bit shorter.

Yep. And if I feel the need to get negative, I always have football to turn to. :wink:

:doh: Football season. Aka the season of sailor language and things been thrown at televisions. And that's just me! Mr CK is worse! :lol:

I still say we'll hear something solid by the end of this month. But I wouldn't panic if it's September when we get news. Truthfully, Larry's comments could mean any number of things, and we're lucky he even answered the fan's question.

I don't think they are still working on the album (recording, etc.). Larry's going to baseball games, Bono's in France with his family, Edge and Adam are... somewhere. They seem to be in vacation mode, and would they be taking a break from working on the album right now if it wasn't finished yet? If they are, then it must be hopelessly unfinished and there's no point in trying for a fall release this year, which I really doubt.

And the whole Electric Lady thing: they were in there with Danger Mouse, they had a party on the roof, and then dispersed for vacation. It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that the band are done with their part of the work. There are a lot of little things that need to be done before release, and it could be in these final stages right now for all we know.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that we shouldn't give up hope yet for a release this year. I'm going to be lenient and give it until the middle of September; if we still don't know anything by then... Then it's 2008 deja vu.

I do hope it is LastEdgeOnEarth, this thread was possibly the best ever:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f204/change-due-from-admin-mods-192666.html

This was one of the bigger flameouts in recent years and he went straight at the mods. Also resulting in one of the better Interference Memes in the same time period..

..so I would venture to say that by simple deductive reasoning, ie, there is no way in hell they would let this guy back in under any alter, that it cannot be him.

What would things be like if we all took Mikal's lead and made an effort to abstain from doom and gloom, "this is probably hopeless" no-album-this-year or it-will-probably-suck type posts until, say, second week of September? I think it's a nice exercise, like taking a fast from mirrors and fat talk. It's been pretty negative in here, and personally I think some good thoughts towards the band would be nice. We all want the new record so why not just try to stay positive for a bit? Then if the fall deadlines pass we can all throw tantrums.

The band does read the fan boards occasionally and I think if they checked in on this one they might be pretty depressed about their fan base. Does anybody remember that interview with Bono from a few years ago where he talked about how harsh U2's audience is? He was talking about how he wishes he could actually get some of the sycophancy he's accused of cultivating around himself and said something like "Have you ever been on the U2 fan sites? Man, those people are harsh. They don't let us get away with a thing!"

This really is a repetitious argument by now, but I'm pretty sure that U2 just won't go for this- that they would see letting go of the top 40 as a kind of defeat. They've always aimed for cultural dominance, not just success and that means radio, or at least whatever the current equivalent of "radio" is these days. Elevation was a quiet tour but that record was all about regaining mainstream popularity.

We pretty well know that this tour will be much more stripped down than the last, but good guesses about the tone of this record are hard to find. And as for Bowie, the article on the first page of this thread referenced how quickly his new album has faded from thought even after its big stealth drop. U2 will have noticed that by now, too, and taken notes.

Jeevey, I would certainly agree with you but hey you can't blame a guy for trying......more Zooropa/POP and less ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom