U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globo14 View Post
How about a sequel to Pop, called "Rock"?
Oh, do you mean ATYCLB?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
I don't even know when/where it originated (it was quite a while ago, like over a year if I remember right), but it's some lame, fake title that people keep hanging onto as if it's actually plausible.
Thanks.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Thanks.
The whole 10 reasons to exist thing came from a quote from bono saying they need 10 reasons to exist as in they need 10 great songs or something of that matter. Someone I guess assumed that it was the title of the album. But if memory serves right, Bono never said it was the title he just said they needed ten reasons to exist.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I've got nothing else to add but Click Clack
Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
The whole 10 reasons to exist thing came from a quote from bono saying they need 10 reasons to exist as in they need 10 great songs or something of that matter. Someone I guess assumed that it was the title of the album. But if memory serves right, Bono never said it was the title he just said they needed ten reasons to exist.
Actually he did say within the band they are calling the album ten reasons to exist, and the media ran with it. Of course we all know he's been using that phrase for years about their albums, but the rest of the world doesn't!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Here is the quote, he said it in December 2012:

Quote:
"Within the band, we've been calling it '10 Reasons To Exist' – but I will tell you we might have at least six of them," joked Bono.

Funny how it even says "joked Bono".
Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ah got it :-) I wasn't too sure his exact words, it's been a while! Yeah clearly he wasn't serious about calling it that. Thanks for the quote!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

No problem!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

It's because NLOTH was a radio flop that I think that U2 have very little chance of any major radio play, barring a huge single. I hope to be proven wrong.
I find that HIGHLY unlikely. Most band's of U2's stature tend to get at least a one-single chance when they've been in the spotlight and succeeded as well as the two albums before NLOTH did.

Again, this is just in my experience. Only expertise here being that I just listen to a LOT of radio.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
Actually he did say within the band they are calling the album ten reasons to exist, and the media ran with it. Of course we all know he's been using that phrase for years about their albums, but the rest of the world doesn't!
He could have said, "We're calling it 'Boy, This Had Better Not Suck, or Else Man, We're Finished' within the band, actually, and I tell you, I think it might not, and we may not be." and people would still take the title literally.

Oh, and they'd flip over the references to 'Boy' and 'Man' as bookends to their career.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Just skimming the last few pages of the last thread and I see that Alter of a Banned Member was suggesting that the excuse for "Native Son" not being on HTDAAB was suspect. All I can say to that is, I saw Bono saying that A LOT in interviews around the time. The whole, he couldn't imagine himself singing the song every night, thing. I hated it at first, but as I've come to know the story behind the song a little better in the years following, I'm a little glad the song didn't make the album.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #32
*I*
The Fly

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Just skimming the last few pages of the last thread and I see that Alter of a Banned Member was suggesting that the excuse for "Native Son" not being on HTDAAB was suspect. All I can say to that is, I saw Bono saying that A LOT in interviews around the time. The whole, he couldn't imagine himself singing the song every night, thing. I hated it at first, but as I've come to know the story behind the song a little better in the years following, I'm a little glad the song didn't make the album.
And as I said before, If they told him to change the lyrics they would have no problem telling him to give excuses. Id still like to see all these interviews you speak of.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #33
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:39 PM
So with no concrete news on a new album and with all speculation and rumours about it essentially at a repetitious standstill, we've resorted to conspiracy theories about a nine year old album?

What fun.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #34
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonsKitten View Post

"In these and other instances, we're being led to focus on the wrong thing — or being led not to focus on the right thing."

AMEN. Enough with focusing on 'hype'. Things are far too fast-paced and it needs to slow down a bit. I remember in the 90s the onslaught of pop acts like BSB, their planned counterparts NSync, and of course, Britney and Christina.

Now 20 years later, BSB are touring on a small scale, released an album without a "lead" single so to speak, and are still doing what they love, regardless. Can the same be said for NSync, not to mention the media disasters both Britney and Christina became over the years?

Not that I am comparing U2 to pop acts, mind you...but who would you rather they "be"? Someone like Jay-Z whose tour with Justin Timberlake is running $500 for back floor seats? A media joke like Britney? Or would you prefer a quiet album release and a tour meant more for their fanbase than for the media? Think about it for a while.
I'll take the the quiet "damn the Top 40!" album and tour any day. I could care less about U2's new music on the radio. I want some crazy experimentation and willingness just to do what they want. That is what I like and respect about Bowie and a lot of other big powerhouses of old.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Please tell me this isn't Jick we're dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *I* View Post
And as I said before, If they told him to change the lyrics they would have no problem telling him to give excuses. Id still like to see all these interviews you speak of.
Shut the fuck up, troll.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #36
War Child

I'm almost sure that U2 fans are the only ones who made the length of an album title a real topic to discuss about
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #37
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by *I* View Post
Original links to the article are dead, but here you go.

Quote:
How would you describe your first set of lyrics to "Vertigo"? Originally, it was called "Native Son" -- a reference to the jailed American Indian activist Leonard Peltier.

It was a new-journalism approach. I don't think this man should be in prison. But the song just didn't change the molecules in the room. We made the mistake of sending "Native Son" to Interscope, because we were jumping up and down over it at first. And they started jumping up and down. And then we sort of stopped. It wasn't as good as we thought.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Temple View Post
I'll take the the quiet "damn the Top 40!" album and tour any day. I could care less about U2's new music on the radio. I want some crazy experimentation and willingness just to do what they want. That is what I like and respect about Bowie and a lot of other big powerhouses of old.
This really is a repetitious argument by now, but I'm pretty sure that U2 just won't go for this- that they would see letting go of the top 40 as a kind of defeat. They've always aimed for cultural dominance, not just success and that means radio, or at least whatever the current equivalent of "radio" is these days. Elevation was a quiet tour but that record was all about regaining mainstream popularity.

We pretty well know that this tour will be much more stripped down than the last, but good guesses about the tone of this record are hard to find. And as for Bowie, the article on the first page of this thread referenced how quickly his new album has faded from thought even after its big stealth drop. U2 will have noticed that by now, too, and taken notes.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #39
Ghost of Love

Wait...'cock n balls' is an alter of a banned member?

https://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Wait...'cock n balls' is an alter of a banned member?

Yeah, we went through it a few threads ago. It was one of a couple of our site legends. Jick was a popular choice, and so were Jarvis, MrBrau, and LastEdgeOnEarth. Admitted to being a previously banned member, and curiously has gone under the mod radar. Perhaps waiting for another epic explosion?

Tags
christmas music, fall 2013, fall 2014, larry at a baseball game, lillywhitewashing, new album, new album please, sillywhite, spring 2014, u2