U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #181
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:00 PM

New U2 album in November according to the Spanish FNAC website.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:00 AM
So apparently U2 are only releasing new material in November in Spain, the rest of the world can go fuck itself.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:00 AM
^^^^^^^

Are they still selling Songs Of Ascent from 2010 too?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #184
Refugee

I'm certainly not expecting a total reinvention. Not sure if anyone here is, and if so, it's probably a bit naive. I'm not even sure I would want a total reinvention. I just want some really good new music.

I take issue with the idea that it is impossible to do at 52. Of course it is possible. Will it happen? I'm not betting my paycheck on it.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
So you can't think of anybody. That's cool. Neither do I. There are artists making good music in their 50s, but all of the cases I know of is that those artists are perfectly comfortable in their own skin right now and with their established sound (Nick Cave, Neil Young, David Bowie etc.). Better not to expect any radical changes or breaking new ground, because one might be faced with a NLOTH-like disappointment, which was unfortunately hyped as this new Achtung Baby-like reinvention. It wasn't.
While I wouldn't call Cave's Push the Sky Away a "reinvention," it is a bold record that stands apart stylistically from the rest of his catalogue. I didn't think it was possible for an artist thirty years into a career to rival let alone best their finest works, but Cave did it. The thing about U2 is they don't have the "I'm going to do whatever the hell I want" attitude that Cave has.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think that's the same place that posted a sign in their store a couple months ago claiming a November release, so the webpage could just be an extension of that. Regardless, it's good to see, I guess. Better than nothing.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #187
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
So apparently U2 are only releasing new material in November in Spain, the rest of the world can go fuck itself.
Everybody is asking for some innovation, well, that's pretty new. An album for just one country.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
While I wouldn't call Cave's Push the Sky Away a "reinvention," it is a bold record that stands apart stylistically from the rest of his catalogue. I didn't think it was possible for an artist thirty years into a career to rival let alone best their finest works, but Cave did it. The thing about U2 is they don't have the "I'm going to do whatever the hell I want" attitude that Cave has.
I like Push the Sky Away, but I wouldn't say that record stands apart dramatically from the rest of his catalogue. It's a natural progression from what came before and that's perfectly fine. In any case, I consider Cave possibly being the only musician I know of whose output actually improved consistently with time and whose best records can be found in the third decade of his career.

And again, I didn't say 50-year-olds can't be creative. What I meant was that there is next to zero chance that some huge reinvention awaits us. Yeah, anything's possible. But at this point, I'd be perfectly happy with a decent record that I would still like to hear four or five years after it came out (I have no wish to do that for the last three albums).

To try and get back to the topic, this is the link for the Spanish website: Alertas FNAC

Doesn't seem official to me, since there is that vague Metallica announcement as well right below.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #189
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Fair enough. Which band had a dramatic reinvention in their 50s? I'm genuinely curious because I can't think of any. And I consider creativity and the will to dream it all up again to be two slightly different things.
I doubt they'll ever completely reinvent themselves, but plenty of bands release strong, good material late into their careers. As some mentioned, Johnny Cash was a complete reinvention and it was incredible. Another artists that released some of their best material late in their career (even if they weren't reinventions): Bruce Springsteen certainly comes to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post

Tidbits of information
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Most of those are solo artists though. It seems easier for them to keep releasing good music later in their careers. We've had that discussion tons of times as well...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post

i think the Spanish Fnac site has had that alert for a while now... although i don't remember seeing the month stated before though...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #192
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree with djerap here. Once again, he NEVER SAID that artists over 50 aren't creative. He was responding to the cliche quoting of "dream it all up again". Does anyone truly think this band can wipe the slate clean and go in a completely unpredictable direction?

Because U2 had already taken so many left turns along their career, and explored so much musical territory, it would be difficult for them to truly surprise at this point, especially as they're concerned with remaining relevant (Bono's own words) in a mainstream fashion.

So instead of expecting something miraculous, just keep things in perspective and simply hope for a good collection of uncompromised material with a fresh sound. Because you ain't getting Zooropa.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, FNAC is not going to have information before anyone else.

Not sure why this old news is even worth discussing. It's some optimistic corporate speculation.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #195
The Fly

That FNAC announcement has got to be fake. I don't think even the band knows when the album will be released, judging by what Bono and, more recently, Larry said.

NLOTH was a decent album from a band still capable of putting out some interesting material, though it's not exactly innovative. I take that album as an sign that U2 is not done being all that they can be. The only reason that we haven't seen a complete Achtung Baby-like turnaround from a band this late into their careers is because, as someone already suggested, most bands don't even last this long. U2 is on territory few have walked in, and those that do tend to have their own well-established signature sounds that characterize them, while U2 likes to change it up often. Most bands don't even have such a reinvention as AB, period. I don't know what to expect of this new album, but I think they're still capable of producing something beyond "more of the same." I'm sure they know that too.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #196
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I agree with djerap here. Once again, he NEVER SAID that artists over 50 aren't creative. He was responding to the cliche quoting of "dream it all up again". Does anyone truly think this band can wipe the slate clean and go in a completely unpredictable direction?

Because U2 had already taken so many left turns along their career, and explored so much musical territory, it would be difficult for them to truly surprise at this point, especially as they're concerned with remaining relevant (Bono's own words) in a mainstream fashion.

So instead of expecting something miraculous, just keep things in perspective and simply hope for a good collection of uncompromised material with a fresh sound. Because you ain't getting Zooropa.
Spot on
Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #197
New Yorker

I cannot say how I know this and I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this but we should see the new album November 18th in the States. Those who know me know that I'm not BSing this.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #198
New Yorker

It's good marketing because it gives Lady Gaga a week to dominate then U2 will get their turn. They'll battle it out through Christmas.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It won't be hard to have a better first single.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #200
New Yorker

September 23 will see the single drop on iTunes

Tags
christmas music, fall 2013, fall 2014, larry at a baseball game, lillywhitewashing, new album, new album please, sillywhite, spring 2014, u2