U2 Pretentious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2_102.jpg

I don't know what the all the hub-bub is about -
U2 is the best band in the world !

Has anyone listened to Mellencamp's latest work? I love Mr. Happy Go Lucky - but Johnny Cougar keeps making the same types of records. Oh - and he dances like an idiot. :macdevil:

- The Zoocifer -

I totally separate the artists from their work. I like Oasis and Blur's music a lot even though I wouldn't touch Liam Gallagher and Damon Albarn with a ten-foot pole, and there are endless similar examples not only in music, but literature, etc.

If Bono had a giant ego (which he has) and a tendency to be pretentious sometimes (which he has also) -AND- treated other people like shit then I guess I wouldn't like him much either. But everything I've read about him and the rest of the band has led me to believe that they're all nice, decent people who just happen to be incredibly ambitious and driven and yeah, sometimes pretentious (but isn't ALL art pretentious anyway?). And Bono seems to spend a lot of his energy on actually praising the other artists & bands to the heavens rather than bashing them.

When Bono was on the Charlie Rose show last year after a NYC show, Charlie asked him about the "Reapplying for the Best Band in the World" comment. Bono said he said it for three reasons: 1- to challenge the entire group to strive to be the best and 2- to challenge other bands and 3- to piss people off.

Scarletwine said:
When Bono was on the Charlie Rose show last year after a NYC show, Charlie asked him about the "Reapplying for the Best Band in the World" comment. Bono said he said it for three reasons: 1- to challenge the entire group to strive to be the best and 2- to challenge other bands and 3- to piss people off.

:lol: I think it worked!

BTW...GREAT avatar you have there!

Thanks wertsie!
Seriously, Bono can be over the top, maybe pretentious sounding, but that's part of his charm. Saying something outlandish and then giving the look. Gotta love it.

Back
Top Bottom