U2 Pretentious? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2002, 05:32 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by follower
Id like to add one thing nobody mentioned yet and thats authenticity. Beyond their talent and competency as musicians and songwriters they have an essencial quality that surpasses any bad critics and accusations on them being pretentious. They are authentic, they have been that way throughout their career.
Excellent point--authenticity is exactly, I think, what makes Bono (and U2) not pretentious.

Old 07-08-2002, 05:42 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Pretenious?
From an artist that has changed/modified his name how many times? over the decades?
There was John Cougar-
then John Cougar Melloncamp
then John Melloncamp
then back to John Cougar..
I wonder if he took a poll to find out which name would sell the most records..

DB9

Old 07-08-2002, 07:04 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Pretenious?
From an artist that has changed/modified his name how many times? over the decades?
There was John Cougar-
then John Cougar Melloncamp
then John Melloncamp
then back to John Cougar..
I wonder if he took a poll to find out which name would sell the most records..

DB9
Hehe...I hadn't even thought of that!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:08 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:41 AM
I just thought of something. As much criticism as Bono gets from some fellow musicians (Henry Rollins, Don Henley and now John Mellencamp), I don't believe I have ever heard him, or any other member of U2 for that matter, say negative things about other musicians. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:15 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I just thought of something. As much criticism as Bono gets from some fellow musicians (Henry Rollins, Don Henley and now John Mellencamp), I don't believe I have ever heard him, or any other member of U2 for that matter, say negative things about other musicians. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?
Yes, it does...

Now my face really does look like this--->
Old 07-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:

Yes. Quite frankly, I smell jealousy. When you're lambasting someone you're misquoting and have never listened to there's a problem. Ugh, poison............
Old 07-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Yeah.. people forget that. Bono has said he thought pop music was bad, but he has never named names or made very negative comments towards anyone in the music business. It makes you realize which artist has more class.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:30 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole

Yeah.. people forget that. Bono has said he thought pop music was bad, but he has never named names or made very negative comments towards anyone in the music business. It makes you realize which artist has more class.
Yes...Which is why, whenever someone refers to any of the members of U2 as being pretentious or arrogant, it puzzles me to no end...
Old 07-08-2002, 10:47 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 06:41 AM
wink Great points!

I think we've all hit the mark on this one. Bottom line, this was quoted from someone who is probably a little jealous, a little shallow (not listening to U2 bc he think's they're pretentious from a quote he can't even get right), and the fact that U2 are authentic and probably the most daring and classiest band in the last 25+ years. Only a band like U2 could go through so many changes and still have a huge fanbase after all of these years.

Here's a suggestion, get to know someone before you start blurting out nonsense that makes you like silly! Everyone has their opinion, but some are truly more thought out than others.

I admire U2 for sticking their necks out and trying to be the best and at the same time giving us some intellectual thoughts and don't forget, they have a lot of fun too!! What a combination!
Old 07-09-2002, 12:01 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:41 AM

in the store today I heard one of mellencamp's songs, for the first time in like, forever, and was like "this guy's a fool!"

Old 07-09-2002, 12:09 AM   #31
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:41 AM

I don't know what the all the hub-bub is about -
U2 is the best band in the world !

Has anyone listened to Mellencamp's latest work? I love Mr. Happy Go Lucky - but Johnny Cougar keeps making the same types of records. Oh - and he dances like an idiot.

- The Zoocifer -
Old 07-09-2002, 05:15 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:41 AM
I totally separate the artists from their work. I like Oasis and Blur's music a lot even though I wouldn't touch Liam Gallagher and Damon Albarn with a ten-foot pole, and there are endless similar examples not only in music, but literature, etc.

If Bono had a giant ego (which he has) and a tendency to be pretentious sometimes (which he has also) -AND- treated other people like shit then I guess I wouldn't like him much either. But everything I've read about him and the rest of the band has led me to believe that they're all nice, decent people who just happen to be incredibly ambitious and driven and yeah, sometimes pretentious (but isn't ALL art pretentious anyway?). And Bono seems to spend a lot of his energy on actually praising the other artists & bands to the heavens rather than bashing them.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:35 PM   #33
New Yorker

When Bono was on the Charlie Rose show last year after a NYC show, Charlie asked him about the "Reapplying for the Best Band in the World" comment. Bono said he said it for three reasons: 1- to challenge the entire group to strive to be the best and 2- to challenge other bands and 3- to piss people off.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:38 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
When Bono was on the Charlie Rose show last year after a NYC show, Charlie asked him about the "Reapplying for the Best Band in the World" comment. Bono said he said it for three reasons: 1- to challenge the entire group to strive to be the best and 2- to challenge other bands and 3- to piss people off.
I think it worked!

BTW...GREAT avatar you have there!
Old 07-10-2002, 05:52 PM   #35
New Yorker

Thanks wertsie!
Seriously, Bono can be over the top, maybe pretentious sounding, but that's part of his charm. Saying something outlandish and then giving the look. Gotta love it.