U2 postponed new album due to new 2006 tour dates! VH-1. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Inner El Guapo
Album=late 2007 at the earliest

If by "late 2007" you mean late 2008, then I totally agree with you.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #82
War Child

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

If by "late 2007" you mean late 2008, then I totally agree with you.
haha, I was being an optimist I guess

Old 01-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #83
Refugee

Location: Looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world
Local Time: 11:00 AM
I would say late 2007 sounds possible. I really hope Edge is allowed to just let go and do what he wants on the next record. I like HTDAAB but I don't love it...but then I'm someone who believes Achtung to be perfect and Zooropa phenomenal! Personally, I pray for experimentation from U2 next time around.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I expect that after the tour finishes in April, they'll take the summer off. Family time, time to get back to their lives. Seems natural, and necessary. They'll probably reconvene in the fall, start playing the HTDAAB leftovers and realize that they aren't the kind of music they want to make anymore. They will then spend the next 2 years working on it.

In order for the album to be released in November of 2007, it would have to be finished by about August. And 1 year isn't enough time for U2 to make an album.

Also keep in mind that they will probably never release an album any other time than October/November, for the christmas sales boost. Bono says the key to a sucessful album is if it makes it through 2 christmas seasons. So if it isn't ready by fall of 2007, they'll wait an entire year just to put it out in the fall of 2008.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #85
roy
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by The_acrobat
So if it isn't ready by fall of 2007, they'll wait an entire year just to put it out in the fall of 2008.
Are you seriously suggestiing that if the album was ready Feb/March 2008 that they would wait an entire six months until Oct/Nov that year?

Is there a U2 precedent for this?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #86
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RademR
exactly, i became a huge u2 fan after ATYCLB, so i was here for the whole buildup to HTDAAB.

All the quotes, leaks, etc.
It was my favorite time here, great times

but also going through it made me take Bono's quotes very lightly now. As exiting as they are, the "punk rock made on venus," the "burn down all our other works," he always says that stuff.

They have a tour for the first half of the year, and then they will definetly take a break as they are all family men. Earliest they START working on a new record would be beginning of 2007.

And then u2 are perfectionists so I say the quickest we get a new record is beginning of 2008.
Ah...yes, I remember those glorious times here...the leaks...the rumors...the setlist parties...good times.

My predictions:

Late fall 2006 at the earliest

Sping 2008 at the latest

November 2007 is the date!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by roy

Are you seriously suggestiing that if the album was ready Feb/March 2008 that they would wait an entire six months until Oct/Nov that year?

lessons learned from Pop.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #88
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by roy

HTDAAB was ready a few months before its release and I think it could've probably come out earlier. The Slane and Chicago DVDs definitely could've come out earlier. But then they wouldn't have come out during the Christmas sales period ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

They've been aiming for 2006-2007 for awhile, i doubt it will be fall 2008, hopefully fall 2007 (being realistic).

It's not like the gap between ATYCLB and HTDAAB was the norm (in fact it was their longest break between studio albums) so I wouldn't expect a four year break again.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #90
War Child

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by powerhour24
They've been aiming for 2006-2007 for awhile, i doubt it will be fall 2008, hopefully fall 2007 (being realistic).

It's not like the gap between ATYCLB and HTDAAB was the norm (in fact it was their longest break between studio albums) so I wouldn't expect a four year break again.
Agreed they can't spend months messing around with a Greatest Hits collection this time.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
We all should know U2s routine for making albums by now

Whatever date Bono gives for a new album release, add minimum of 1.5 to 2 years.

If they decide to begin work at the end of 2006, the earliest (and I mean EARLIEST) that this album will hit the shelves would be the end of 2008. And I think that is a stretch.

HTDAAB cam out November 04
the 2nd half of their career has been bascially a 4 year turn around between albums...so November of 2008 seems likely to me.

Prove me wrong guys, PLEASE prove me wrong.
While there is truth in what you wrote, U2 have always released something between these long gaps.
  • The 3 years between UF and JT saw the release of WAIA and numerous charity tours and singles (Conspiracy of Hope tour and "Silver and Gold"). U2 also made some guest appearances (Robbie Robertson).
  • The 4 years and 8 months between JT and AB saw the release of R&H (CD and movie) and "Night and Day". U2 also wrote songs for other artists (Roy Orbison) and U2 toured extensively through 1990 in support of JT and R&H.
  • There was only 1 year 8 month gap between AB and "Zooropa".
  • The three years and 8 months between "Zooropa" and "Pop", U2 were actually amazingly prolific. High profile songs like "Hold Me...Kill Me" and "Mission: Impossible" were released. Lower profile items like "Original Soundtracks 1" were released (and while this may not technically be a U2 album, as each U2 member worked on every single song on this album, this was a major release for the band - even if under a pseudonym). U2 members also made many guest appearances during this time and performed on many tribute albums (Leonard Cohen, Marvin Gaye, etc.).
  • The three years and 7 months between "Pop" and ATYCLB were filled with more guest appearances and the release of the 80's "Best Of". U2 were also heavily involved in the "Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack, a movie that Bono also cowrote.
  • The four years between ATYCLB and HTDAAB were filled with the 90's "Best Of", which produced a Golden Globe winning and Oscar nominated song.

Even though there may have been long gaps between complete studio releases at times, U2 were often very busy between studio releases, as I tried to demonstrate above. If that's not enough for you, let me add more. For example, U2 or U2 membes would, at times, record a new version of a song for a movie (like "Until the End of the World" or "Stay"). U2 or U2 members made guest appearances ("Pavoratti and Friends"), performed on tribute albums (like the afore-mentioned Marvin Gaye and Leonard Cohen tributes) or appeared as guest artists on albums (Michael Hutchence, Mick Jagger). They wrote songs for other artists (Roy Orbison, Tina Turner). Plus, keep in mind that U2 have toured for all of their albums (R&H and "Zooropa" also had tours, even if they were added on to an existing tour). Bono or U2 frequently did charity releases, like "What's Going On" or "New Day". U2 have even released some items through their fan club, and concert video tapes or DVD's, which did take some of their time. More recently, Bono has been heavily involved in the Jubilee 2000/DATA program, touring extensively for it. I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea.

So even if the next full studio release from U2 isn't until 2008, don't expect U2 to not release anything or stay out of the limelight. Already we have one DVD release from this tour and I expect more. Other artists are hoping to collaborate with U2 (and who wouldn't? Bono and U2 are ridiculously respected and highly influential - not only do they win tons of major awards, they still sell millions of albums, have #1 releases and sold-out tours), so I fully expect a few releases with other artists (and already we have the Mary J. Blige release of "One"). Bono has also stated how he enjoys just releasing a single without an album (ala "Celebration" or "Hold Me..."). While U2 haven't done this a lot in their time, we could see a new song for a movie in this format.

Therefore, besides bitching and griping and moaning and joking how U2 are "so slow" between album releases, we also enjoy lots of these "side projects". I'm already looking forward to a few before the new album.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #92
The Fly

Local Time: 10:00 AM
it's gonna be november this year or next. defenatly a november.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #93
The Fly

they had live from under the brooklyn bridge already
Old 04-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #94
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by giant lemons...

What are you on about?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by giant lemons...
omfg!!11 ur so write!!!111