U2 postponed new album due to new 2006 tour dates! VH-1.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AussieU2fanman said:
Ohhhh that brings back so many memories of me having these clips on loop for hours and hours....I can imagine imagining the potential of Miracle Drug back then, I think I like the beach clip better for some reason.

God I love the beach recording of Miracle Drug :drool:

it is really sad but the months before a u2 album hits the stores is probably the best part :nerd:

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
the tour lasts through most, or at least half of 2006.
they'll surely take at least a year off doing nothing.
which is until mid 2007.
late 2007 they'll convine to throw ideas together.
serious recording will not start until early 2008.
figure a year on recording, then a few months mixing, mastering, record label stuff, etc....
november 2008 is the release date, provding no disasters strike the studio.

which is 4 years since HTDAAB.

far-fetched?

nope.

dream all ya want.
dream out loud.

I agree. I have been thinking in the same way.

Not necessarilly... I think
Well, remember that by mid-2003 there were already several songs recorded and produced by Chris Thomas, which were rejected. The restared to write, record and produce them. so in we could have had an album late-2003.
If those 12 songs that didn't show up already really exist, and if they're made, well... if they only have to be polished and re-produced, it is completly possible to have an album late-2006 / 2007.

I'm hoping for a late 2007 release which wouldn't be out of the question. That would make it three years since the last studio album so it's not entirely out of the question.

Joey788 said:
I'm hoping for a late 2007 release which wouldn't be out of the question. That would make it three years since the last studio album so it's not entirely out of the question.

Pretty reasonable. :yes:

Essentially, everyone saying 2006 is trying to keep their hopes up and get excited. Everyone saying 2008 is NOT trying to get their hopes up so they're not disappointed. :wink:

That was a mis-interpretation. Bono said, "We will begin recorder again as soon as the tour is finished."

Some reporter just took that wrong, thinking that they would be recording for the new album; when really they're just gonna be catching up with their recorder lessons.

Party Boy said:
I just read the article in Q Magazine (jan 2006 edition) - Bono says that they will begin recording new album as soon as the tour is finished...

Make of that what you may...

Yeah, with the usual accelaration................................it's known what it means.............................."See you in 3 years, buddies!"

:tsk:

:confused: I thought even with the new dates the tour still ends in April 2006.

I'm rooting for late 2007, myself.

Meghan said:
That was a mis-interpretation. Bono said, "We will begin recorder again as soon as the tour is finished."

Some reporter just took that wrong, thinking that they would be recording for the new album; when really they're just gonna be catching up with their recorder lessons.

:lmao: what if U2 released a new album this year...

...but it was just Bono singing over some recorders :wink: man that shit would RAWK live!! :rockon:

I predict an album sometime in 2007. It's very unlikely we'll get one this year since they extended the tour, but I don't really think they'll take a whole year off. More like half a year, if that (depends on how they feel right after the tour's over). I'm saying fall of 2007. I'm hoping it doesn't get pushed back to 2008, but it could happen.

I think they are constantly "working on an album". Creative artists must go with the flow when they are struck with an idea, lyric, melody, image, etc. Edge is referring to concentrated work in the studio perfecting these ideas and morphing them into an album. I'm all for it! Bring on a new one and another tour!

This whole discussion makes being a member of U2 sound like the most tireing thing possible. Fun, because of the influence and following you have, but the cycle must get to you...

Inner El Guapo said:
Album=late 2007 at the earliest

If by "late 2007" you mean late 2008, then I totally agree with you.

I would say late 2007 sounds possible. I really hope Edge is allowed to just let go and do what he wants on the next record. I like HTDAAB but I don't love it...but then I'm someone who believes Achtung to be perfect and Zooropa phenomenal! :) Personally, I pray for experimentation from U2 next time around.

I expect that after the tour finishes in April, they'll take the summer off. Family time, time to get back to their lives. Seems natural, and necessary. They'll probably reconvene in the fall, start playing the HTDAAB leftovers and realize that they aren't the kind of music they want to make anymore. They will then spend the next 2 years working on it.

In order for the album to be released in November of 2007, it would have to be finished by about August. And 1 year isn't enough time for U2 to make an album.

Also keep in mind that they will probably never release an album any other time than October/November, for the christmas sales boost. Bono says the key to a sucessful album is if it makes it through 2 christmas seasons. So if it isn't ready by fall of 2007, they'll wait an entire year just to put it out in the fall of 2008.

The_acrobat said:
So if it isn't ready by fall of 2007, they'll wait an entire year just to put it out in the fall of 2008.

Are you seriously suggestiing that if the album was ready Feb/March 2008 that they would wait an entire six months until Oct/Nov that year? :ohmy:

Is there a U2 precedent for this?

RademR said:
exactly, i became a huge u2 fan after ATYCLB, so i was here for the whole buildup to HTDAAB.

All the quotes, leaks, etc.
It was my favorite time here, great times :wink:

but also going through it made me take Bono's quotes very lightly now. As exiting as they are, the "punk rock made on venus," the "burn down all our other works," he always says that stuff.

They have a tour for the first half of the year, and then they will definetly take a break as they are all family men. Earliest they START working on a new record would be beginning of 2007.

And then u2 are perfectionists so I say the quickest we get a new record is beginning of 2008.

Ah...yes, I remember those glorious times here...the leaks...the rumors...the setlist parties...good times.

My predictions:

Late fall 2006 at the earliest

Sping 2008 at the latest

November 2007 is the date! :drool:

roy said:

Are you seriously suggestiing that if the album was ready Feb/March 2008 that they would wait an entire six months until Oct/Nov that year? :ohmy:

lessons learned from Pop.

roy said:

HTDAAB was ready a few months before its release and I think it could've probably come out earlier. The Slane and Chicago DVDs definitely could've come out earlier. But then they wouldn't have come out during the Christmas sales period ...

They've been aiming for 2006-2007 for awhile, i doubt it will be fall 2008, hopefully fall 2007 (being realistic).

It's not like the gap between ATYCLB and HTDAAB was the norm (in fact it was their longest break between studio albums) so I wouldn't expect a four year break again.

powerhour24 said:
They've been aiming for 2006-2007 for awhile, i doubt it will be fall 2008, hopefully fall 2007 (being realistic).

It's not like the gap between ATYCLB and HTDAAB was the norm (in fact it was their longest break between studio albums) so I wouldn't expect a four year break again.

Agreed they can't spend months messing around with a Greatest Hits collection this time.

Back
Top Bottom