U2 Opening Acts...yay or nay? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:31 AM
U2 Opening Acts...yay or nay?

I don't think U2 should have an opening act.

U2 are at a level now where I think I can safely say that the majority of the audience is there to see U2.

I think that the band would do a service to their fans if they just dropped the opening act.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-03-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:31 AM
I agree - no opening band.

Having to listen to another band would just hurt my ears.

Old 10-03-2002, 01:34 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 11:31 PM
yay for me.

The fans need something to listen to while buying some popcorn and getting ready for the concert. I think Bon Jovi or Avril Lavigne would make good opening acts for U2 in the future.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Old 10-03-2002, 01:46 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:31 AM

You can't get rid of the opening act. This is a long lasting tradition of Rock n Roll. The opening act is an essential part of the night. It acts as the grease to lube the wheel so to speak, it acts as a springboard for up and coming artist, and it allows band such as U2 to bring acts that they respect and show them to their audience. It's U2 giving back to other artists. Obviously U2 in the past has had it's hits and misses with this. They did a great job choosing artist that would make their audience think like Public Enemy and Rage against the Machine. They brought truly talented and overlooked artist like PJ Harvey and the Pixies. And then they just got plain lazy and picked crap bands like Smashmouth and Third Eye Blind. But overall U2 has done an amazing job of bringing band into the light. Obviously some of the opening acts have gone over better than others. And you're always there to see U2, so sometimes it may make it unbearable to sit through a band you don't know cause you're filled with such anticipation you can't concentrate. But all in all, if you take the opening act away from a rock show it's like taking the foreplay out of sex.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:31 PM
No, no opening act. People who go to a U2 concert really just come for seeing U2 and not somebody else.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:48 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
yay for me.

The fans need something to listen to while buying some popcorn and getting ready for the concert. I think Bon Jovi or Avril Lavigne would make good opening acts for U2 in the future.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

bon jovi or advil lagrene can clean the toilets in u2's dressing room.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:49 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
But all in all, if you take the opening act away from a rock show it's like taking the foreplay out of sex.
Wouldn't be that bad at all, would it?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #8
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i think they should take away the opening act and play the whole time, during when both bands would perform. three hour concerts =
Old 10-03-2002, 02:00 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 AM
I would venture to say that opening acts and the need for one - is more to do with the record label - Universal/Interscope in this case - also promoting a fellow label mate.. hence No Doubt, etc.. on the Elevation Tour.

The say-so for an opening band and the need for one is not always in the headlining band's control.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:05 PM   #10
Banned

1st and 2nd gigs in Boston , 2001 , were concerts of PJ Harvey to me , she looked fresh , ultra sexy and great with her band , they sounded awesome . U2 were somewhat tired and very star-alike ( maybe cause of video shoot pressure ) , but only 3rd,4th night was when U2 really rocked .
Old 10-03-2002, 02:44 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But all in all, if you take the opening act away from a rock show it's like taking the foreplay out of sex.
Quote:
Wouldn't be that bad at all, would it?
I knew someone would repy with that.

But to answer your question. No, there's nothing bad about that, but you're missing out on a lot my friend. You may get the end result, but you miss the experience. And I'm a strong believer that opening acts are all part of the experience. U2 would never play any longer because there is not opening act. It's not like these venues are rented per hour. If they wanted to play for 3 hours they could. The thing is there aren't many rock acts out there that can do that night after night. You'd be missing out and hurting yourself in the long run if got rid of the opening act.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:47 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
You can't get rid of the opening act. This is a long lasting tradition of Rock n Roll. The opening act is an essential part of the night. It acts as the grease to lube the wheel so to speak, it acts as a springboard for up and coming artist, and it allows band such as U2 to bring acts that they respect and show them to their audience. It's U2 giving back to other artists. Obviously U2 in the past has had it's hits and misses with this. They did a great job choosing artist that would make their audience think like Public Enemy and Rage against the Machine. They brought truly talented and overlooked artist like PJ Harvey and the Pixies. And then they just got plain lazy and picked crap bands like Smashmouth and Third Eye Blind. But overall U2 has done an amazing job of bringing band into the light. Obviously some of the opening acts have gone over better than others. And you're always there to see U2, so sometimes it may make it unbearable to sit through a band you don't know cause you're filled with such anticipation you can't concentrate. But all in all, if you take the opening act away from a rock show it's like taking the foreplay out of sex.

i agree
Old 10-03-2002, 03:08 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I could definitely do without the opening acts. I hate having to sit through someone else to watch the band I'm REALLY there to see!
Old 10-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
And then they just got plain lazy and picked crap bands like Smashmouth and Third Eye Blind.
When did Smashmouth or Third Eye Blind open for U2??

I agree with you, btw, especially about opening bands being a part of the whole experience. And, in general, U2 picks excellent artists to open for them, so I get to see two great bands for the price of one.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Have you caught Springsteen on this tour???
No opening act and its HEAVEN.

There are a lot of bands that have toured without an opening act.

I think in the case of a band as big as U2 an opening act is just a big fat waste of time.
Don't get me wrong, I've loved most of the bands that have opened for them over the years but I would rather see them on another night.

50,000 people screaming "U2" don't want to watch Avril Lavigne or whatever walk onto the stage and sing their hit.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

During PopMart. I don't remember the time blocks, but I saw three Pop Mart shows and three different opening acts. Rage in Dallas, TEB in San Antonio, and Smashmouth in Houston.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:45 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
During PopMart. I don't remember the time blocks, but I saw three Pop Mart shows and three different opening acts. Rage in Dallas, TEB in San Antonio, and Smashmouth in Houston.
Well shiver me timbers. You learn something new everyday...
Old 10-03-2002, 05:14 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes

When did Smashmouth
I saw Smashmouth open for U2 on 10/31/97 (Halloween/Larry's b-day). Ugh...they were terrible! It just sounded like a lotta noise to me...but it was kind of funny because they were dressed up like old ladies...
Old 10-03-2002, 05:16 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2SavesTheWorld

Have you caught Springsteen on this tour???
No opening act and its HEAVEN.
Bruce didn't have an opening act? Awesome!!!!

Now I'm kicking myself even more for not catching him when he went to The Palace.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:25 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:31 AM
they should play for over two hours and have 130 songs rehearsed, oh no wait that is the Stones...