U2 Opening Acts...yay or nay? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie

Bruce didn't have an opening act? Awesome!!!!

Now I'm kicking myself even more for not catching him when he went to The Palace.

Nope, it was fecking AMAZING.

I loved who opened for the boys this tour, so no complaints from me. But, a 3 hour U2 show would make me wet my pants.

Old 10-03-2002, 07:34 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think BonoVoxSupastar put it well. U2, overall, has picked great opening acts. I became a fan of Garbage because of U2 -- I wouldn't have ever noticed them otherwise. Smashmouth and Third Eye Blind are the only bad ones I can think of. I completely understand when an opening act is bad -- it's a big waste of time. But with U2's track record, you have a pretty good chance to at least be mildly entertained.

Opening acts are needed, I think, no matter how great the concert you're going to is. Unless, in the case of Springsteen, they're doing an extra long set -- it would be too short.

I hope my post was somewhat coherent.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:06 PM   #23
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

Local Time: 06:23 AM
There was a time many moons ago when U2 was an opening act, and the fans of the opening bands probably thought they were crap, but at the same time, I'm glad that these band gave U2 a chance to gain the exposure that they needed. For many of these bands their record label in unwilling to do to the measure that opening for a successful band would bring. It is almost like U2 is saying thank you for all the times that some other band let them open up for them. Also, U2 is a fan of music, probably more so than there fans, that is what got them to where they are now, making great music, so I've never been surprised of how much exposure U2 has given to new bands.

Chris
"The truth is when that singer is saying something that comes from right down within him, and it affects you right down within you. That's when you start talking about great music, as distinct from nice music." -- Bono
Old 10-03-2002, 08:09 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:23 AM
God, the worst opening act ever for U2 were the Daltons!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:30 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

bon jovi or advil lagrene can clean the toilets in u2's dressing room.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:25 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
I think Bon Jovi would make good opening acts for U2 in the future.

Heh.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:04 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Im for concert openers. they play an important part as someone said in stirring the crowds energy up...

for us all to stand then 1 hour later Bono and the gang slam-dunk the stage for two hours doin everything in almost every position...the crowd would just be like stood-still, almost waiting to be poked in the ribs....ya get?
Old 10-04-2002, 09:20 AM   #28
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:

I saw Smashmouth open for U2 on 10/31/97 (Halloween/Larry's b-day). Ugh...they were terrible! It just sounded like a lotta noise to me...but it was kind of funny because they were dressed up like old ladies...
I was there too, definitely poor costume choices by Smashmouth. I wouldn't pay to go see them in concert or anything, but I think they would be much more tolerable to sit through today. Back then they had only had one hit, I would know alot more of their songs now.

As to the foreplay analogy, I say "do me dry" (but only in this particular situation *hehe*) - I'd rather just get to the good stuff!
Old 10-04-2002, 10:39 AM   #29
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

I was there too, definitely poor costume choices by Smashmouth. I wouldn't pay to go see them in concert or anything, but I think they would be much more tolerable to sit through today. Back then they had only had one hit, I would know alot more of their songs now.

As to the foreplay analogy, I say "do me dry" (but only in this particular situation *hehe*) - I'd rather just get to the good stuff!
Me, too! It was halloween so they wanted to dress up and like you said, their costumes were terrible! Actually, their whole act was awful. The U2 fans were not impressed with their costumes or their music, so basically ignored them. Smashmouth was so pissed at the audience they started swearing telling them to f%&*in' cheer, etc. I've never heard so much profanity in the 10 time frames between the songs!!

As for opening bands, I agree, you have to have them, but some of the choices have been pretty bad. I didn't mind Garbage TOO much. And I like Third Eye Blind. A big band like U2 should have good opening acts if they have to have them. B'sides, if you have a predetermined seat, you don't have to be there on time. It is part of the experience, though.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:48 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Nope, it was fecking AMAZING.

I loved who opened for the boys this tour, so no complaints from me. But, a 3 hour U2 show would make me wet my pants.
I was at Bruce in Detroit and I have to say it was OK. Not great, not bad. It made me realize why U2 plays so many hits. Because most of the crowd are not die hards. Bruce was 7 songs in and I knew 1 song he had played. The only people really getting into it for the whole show were the people in the pit (the die hards). Still a decent show, but I wasnt super impressed like I thought I would be.

Regarding opening acts. I think U2 has looked at it in the past as giving someone they like an oppurtunity to be exposed to thousands of people who normally would not have seen them. There have been a couple of U2 opening acts and opening acts for other artists that I have enjoyed and have actually bought their CD as a result. U2 isnt going to play longer even if they dont have an opening act. So whats the big deal, it is something to watch to pass the time. If you dont like the opening act, go onto the concourse and have a beer or something.

Now if losing an opening act meant 3 hours of U2, then I would be all for losing the opening act. I dont think U2 would ever do a 3 hour show on a consistant basis though.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:49 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by UltravioletU2

Me, too! It was halloween so they wanted to dress up and like you said, their costumes were terrible! Actually, their whole act was awful. The U2 fans were not impressed with their costumes or their music, so basically ignored them. Smashmouth was so pissed at the audience they started swearing telling them to f%&*in' cheer, etc. I've never heard so much profanity in the 10 time frames between the songs!!
Oh, yeah, I was so impressed by the way the lead singer kept saying f**k this and f**k that after every song. We basically ignored them too. Besides, we were too busy trying to figure out how to get closer!

Old 10-04-2002, 11:32 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 AM
I think we need the Dalton Brothers again!!!

Old 10-04-2002, 11:56 AM   #33
The Fly

Nay. Especially if it's GA and you have to stand the whole time. I just want to get right to U2 and more U2 songs!

PS Dave C your sig is waaaaaaay toooooo loooooooong buddy.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:19 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Savannah
Nay. Especially if it's GA and you have to stand the whole time. I just want to get right to U2 and more U2 songs!
That's another thing...I sincerely hope they don't do the GA section for the floor like they did for the Elevation Tour.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:52 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:23 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmm
well i did write a reply
where did it go?
Old 10-04-2002, 03:06 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cass
hmmmmmmmmmmm
well i did write a reply
where did it go?
I ate it
Old 10-04-2002, 03:17 PM   #37
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

a) i sincerely hope they don't listen to wertsie about doing away with GA floor on the next tour. That was almost as cool as jesus.

b) opening acts are wikkkkid! man. PJ Harvey 2x and Garbage... some of my favourite artists.. that was fucking incredible. I'd so much rather have an opening band. It's a free concert people.. so don't go crying about it. And to those who say sure i like the bands but i'd rather see them on a separate night.. there's people who live in small places and so when 'large' bands come nearby it's never near enough that travel there is painless.. so when you can see 2 awesome bands for the price of one ticket and one trip to the big city, you sure as fuck won't see me complaining.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:35 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK
a) i sincerely hope they don't listen to wertsie about doing away with GA floor on the next tour. That was almost as cool as jesus.
Ah, you obviously weren't at the Palace...

They handled the situation HORRIBLY! We had to get the first wristband, then make a mad rush down to the heart to get to get the heart wrist band. Then they "ran out" and some people who they had already let in the heart were asked to leave. Luckily, I wasn't one of them! And there was PLENTY of extra room in the heart.

If they play at the Palace again and the staff actually figures out what the hell they're doing, the GAs would be cool...otherwise

Personally, I kind of like having a definite place where I know I'm going to be. Less stress that way!
Old 10-04-2002, 04:34 PM   #39
War Child

Totally agree! No opening act and give me a three hour show!
Old 10-04-2002, 04:48 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Ah, you obviously weren't at the Palace...

They handled the situation HORRIBLY! We had to get the first wristband, then make a mad rush down to the heart to get to get the heart wrist band. Then they "ran out" and some people who they had already let in the heart were asked to leave. Luckily, I wasn't one of them! And there was PLENTY of extra room in the heart.

If they play at the Palace again and the staff actually figures out what the hell they're doing, the GAs would be cool...otherwise

Personally, I kind of like having a definite place where I know I'm going to be. Less stress that way!
I couldnt agree more. I went from 4 nights in Chicago where the GA situation was handled great, to the Palace. AWFUL!

Unfortunately Wertsie some of my friends did the GA thing for Bruce at the Palace and it sounds like things were handled even worse than U2 was.