"U2 Once and For All Part I": RESULT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello again,

Firstly I would like to apologise in the delay in totalling the results of the 'Best Album' vote (you can find the thread here ). The voting was extensive and I had a few problems with the addition and point marking of the songs.
I would also like to thank all who took part and can deliver you the following statistics:

- There were 49 unique members who chose to vote
- They each picked 5 songs, totalling 245 songs selected
- In all, 52 unique songs were chosen, at least one from each of the ten studio albums U2 have produced
- Out of the other albums, Under A Blood Red Sky and the Passangers Soundtrack are the only ones with none of their songs voted from
- October and Rattle & Hum fared equally bad, with only one song voted from in each, while Achtung Baby had the most tracks voted from from an album - 9 of its 12 tracks
- SURPRISES:
- Desire - 0pts.
- Who's Going To Ride Your Wild Horses - 0pts.
- Exit - 0pts.
- Pride - 14pts. (behind Heartland, The First Time, North and South of the River, When I Look at the World & Zooropa)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing, Zooropa, Acrobat & North and South of the River getting first choice votes

So now, without further delay, is the TOP 10 U2 songs, as voted by you the members of U2 Feedback....

Last edited:
I like what I've seen so far. Two of my favorites from my favorite U2 album.

...I think you've all guessed No. 1 by now...

By just THREE points from #2 and, despite having less unique votes than second place, the U2 Feedback BEST U2 Song goes to...

Last edited:
#1...

ONE

...From: Achtung Baby (1991) - Track 3

21 unique votes
242pts.

'One' has long since been a fan favourite, still strong past it's tenth year of release. The song, a mega-hit single from the Achtung Baby album, has had it's meaning constantly speculated at. Many believe the song is written in connection with the AIDS crises, supported by the 'AIDS version' of the One video, featuring a Bull in slow motion jumping of a cliff and the message "smell the flowers while you can". Whatever the reason, One is sure to go down in history as one of the best written, best known and best loved songs of all time.

... And there you have it!

Again, a kind thanks to all who voted.

What I am trying to accompish with the 'U2 Once and For All' series is to try and resolve age-old U2 arguments with the majority vote from U2 fans across the globe. In other words, next time you're arguing that "One" is better then "Streets", link to this thread!

Hopefully, with God's blessings, I will be back very soon with another 'U2 Once and For All',

Until that time,

Walk on!

Last edited:
I can definately live with the results of this poll. some great songs up there. 4 of the 10 from joshua Tree! wow.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
- Out of the other albums, Under A Blood Red Sky and the Passangers Soundtrack are the only ones with none of their songs voted from

I voted for Miss Sarajevo...

Well, I can't complain - except for Pride not making the list. WOWY, Streets, Bad and One all made the Top 5, yay!

Last edited:
Weird. When I posted here earlier #10 and #9 were "Running to Stand Still" and "One Tree Hill", but they ended up getting bumped up a notch each. Why the change?

#6 and #10 are rather overrated in my opinion. "All I Want Is You" is one of my least favorite songs from Rattle and Hum. "Gone" on the other hand is one of the best from Pop, but I still don't understand why people would choose it over "Staring at the Sun" or any other song out there for that matter. Especially since the album version of "Gone" doesn't really do the song justice.

I'm surprised that The Fly made it into the top 10! I think it's a good song and all, but I'd say that many are better. And I think it's unfortunate that UF or ASOH didn't make it.

Last edited:
i will probably get flamed for this, but i figured i might as well. here goes...

10. gone

this is a good song. i was kind of surprised to see it on here though, since i've never really heard a lot of people sing its praises. nevertheless, i'm glad it's on here. pop as a whole is a bit underrated, so any song off the album appearing on this list is a good thing.

9. running to stand still

this is also a really good song. again, i was surprised, since i didn't think it was that popular among fans. it's a song that sounds great on the album and sounds awesome live, as well.

8. one tree hill

to avoid sounding repetitive, this is an all right song. i don't hate it, but i don't love it. i like what the song is about, though. it's more the music i don't like.

7. the fly

all right! this is one of the songs i voted for. this is one of my top five U2 songs ever. achtung baby is a great album, and this is one of the stand outs from it. i'm glad to see it made the list, although i'm a little shocked that this was the song from achtung baby that did make it on here.

6. all i want is you

how can i not like this song? it's so beautiful, and not your typical love song. so woo.

5. stay (faraway, so close!)

in my opinion, this song is borderline overrated. not in terms of airplay or anything, but just to where it gets hyped up by so many fans, yet i just don't see how it's such an amazing song.

4. with or without you

ugh. i am actually surprised this didn't chart higher. why? it is by far the most overrated song. yawn.

3. where the streets have no name
this is actually an all right song. it's probably the only single from the joshua tree i can tolerate. probably because it didn't get as much airplay as the others did, and i think it has some redeeming qualities that make it impossible not to like.

2. bad

i will never understand this song. not the song itself, but the studio version. i don't know what version people had in mind when they voted for it, but i think it's one of those songs that comes to life live. i don't care much for the album version, but when i heard wide awake in america (i bought both at the same time and listened to them back-to-back) that version just struck me as...awesome. also, the one from rattle and hum is good as well.

1. one

good god. i knew this was bound to happen. it placed #1 the last time we did some song poll. i know without this song, U2 wouldn't have existed past rattle and hum, blah blah blah, but that doesn't mean i have to love it to death. like, i know the beatles influenced rock and roll and without them we wouldn't have 99% of the rock bands that are around today (which may be a good thing, but i'm also referring to people from the 70's, etc.) but that doesn't mean they have to be my favourite band. anyway, it's another song that is better live.

Bad is very good! :D

Gone is the only significant suprise of the bunch, but it is a great suprise. I bet that the Elevation tour version is still rocking in people's heads. I know that is the case with me. It just kicks ass live!

There is only a 3 point difference between One and Bad! Bad almost won! It certainly wins in my mind. I am very happy that there are many Bad lovers out there! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yay for Bad lovers! ;)

Hmmm, fine by me except The fly being so high up there surprised me (MW, UTEOTW are better IMO) and i'd replace Gone with SATS - and i thought Pride/I still haven't found... were gonna make it into top 10.

Khanada Rhodes, is there a song that you do like? LOL ;) Just jokin with ya.

I am surprised that the Fly and Gone made it. Although I love them both (especially gone) I didn't know they were so dear to everyone else. and also surprised that Kite or any other song from ATYCLB didn't make it.

I know you might not have these results handy, but what was the highest charting ATYCLB song?

I also have another suggestion, and I don't know if it's possible. It seems that some people's votes my have been influenced by reading through what others had already voted on. It would be interesting if it were a blind vote and everyone had to come up with their songs independently. I know this would make it harder to get results even if it were possible. But it was just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom