U2 on VH1 Storytellers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2ITNOL

Acrobat
After a three year hiatus, VH1 Storytellers is back. The Coldplay Storytellers episode airs June 8th. Bruce Springsteen, Green Day and Dave Matthews have already signed up to do the show. The producers of the show do have U2 on their wishlist of artists. Man, that would be AWESOME if they could get U2 to do it. If U2 does appear, VH1 better make it at least a 2 hour episode. One hour wouldn't be anywhere near enough time for U2 to perform their selection of hits and tell stories. We all know Bono LOVES to talk!

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/st...7770344955&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.857

Coldplay Revive TV Show

Green Day, Springsteen, Matthews also breathe life into "Storytellers"

In late 2004, Coldplay sent word to VH1 that they wanted to perform on the network's Storytellers -- which was a tricky request, since the show had been off the air for three years. The show's executive producer, Bill Flanagan, says, "It was like, 'Well, jeez, should we tell them we don't do it anymore?'"
But instead of turning down one of the world's hottest bands, VH1 brought Storytellers back to life. And as word spread of the show's revival, some of rock's biggest names -- Bruce Springsteen, Green Day and Dave Matthews Band -- all signed up to shoot episodes of their own. "We've raised the bar for the level of artist that does this show," says Rick Krim, VH1's executive vice president for music and talent. "To have these bands for the first four is pretty damn strong."

During Coldplay's performance, which was taped in Brooklyn in May and airs June 8th, frontman Chris Martin revealed the origins of the band's career-making 2000 hit "Yellow." "Originally, it sounded like a Neil Young song," Martin said. "And it was missing a key word, so I looked to the nearest book: It was the Yellow Pages. In an alternate universe, this song could be called 'Playboy.'"

At the Dave Matthews Band's Storytellers (also taped in May, but not airing until September), Matthews explained that the funky, Cajun-flavored new song "Louisiana Bayou" came from a haunting tale he heard while on location for the film Because of Winn-Dixie. "A lady down in Louisiana told me about seeing two young boys lying on the side of the road," he said. "She thought they were sleeping, but as she got closer, it turned out they were both dead."

Springsteen's and Green Day's episodes are already in regular rotation, and Flanagan says VH1 is negotiating with other major artists for future shows. Along the way, Storytellers -- which aired sixty-nine episodes between 1996 and 2002, with artists ranging from Elvis Costello to Robert Plant singing songs and telling tales -- is broadening its reach. Green Day's show was "the hardest-rocking Storytellers ever," says Krim.

And in addition to the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, U2 and Prince, the show's wish list includes an unlikely artist. Says Flanagan, "We'd all love to stretch out and have Eminem do the show."

I think it would be very exciting, and very cool. They do little acoustic jaunts in concert, why not for VH1?

I just realized the show's executive producer is the same Bill Flanagan who wrote the book "U2 at The End of the World". Since he and the band already know each other well, I would say the odds of U2 appearing on Storytellers are pretty darn good.

MattFromNYC said:
fuck! you serious thats the same Flanagan? i didnt know that. COOL!

i do hope they get u2 on there. i hope i hope.

Yep, the same Bill Flanagan.

http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=8821

author bio
"Bill Flanagan is the author of Written in My Soul, a collection of conversations with songwriters, and U2 at the End of the World. He is senior vice president and editorial director of VH1. Flanagan has written for Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, GQ, Esquire, Spy, and many other publications. He lives in New York City with his wife and three children. "

MattFromNYC said:
fuck! you serious thats the same Flanagan? i didnt know that. COOL!

i do hope they get u2 on there. i hope i hope.

Ever notice VH1 is pretty pro-U2, coincidence, I think not.

;)

Fine by me, MTV is a joke, and pretty boring, for a channel that used to be groundbreaking and controversial.

5 minute commercial break
10 minutes of Bono apologizing for POP
5 minute version of acoustic 'Staring at The Sun'
10 minutes of Bono apologizing for Zooropa
5 minute version of acoustic 'Stay'
5 minutes of Bono apologizing for Passengers
5 minute version of 'Miss Sarajevo'
-program over-
:wink:

MrBrau1 said:
Imagine a slower, acoustic "Streets" :drool:

*dives out of window in HORROR*

U2DMfan said:

more like ten minutes discussing how much it SLAUGHTERS YOUR SOUL!!

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
-program over-

I'd watch for the acoustic stay :drool: :wink:

there is also the added "Larry, Adam and Edge zoning out during the apologizing (with the exception of Pop - Larry might stir for that one)

I would love to see them on the show. Bono loves to talk anyway, and it'd be nice to hear his take on some of the songs. The Bruce Springsteen one was cool...the only thing I didn't like was when he stopped. after. every. line. I think if U2 do it, they should do explainations at the beginning of the song and then just play the flippin thing.

Anyone notice how in the ads for the Storytellers series, they go something like "As part of vh1's whole month dedicated to music!!!1" Umm, shouldn't all your programming be dedicated to music? Oh thats right, you decided to follow mtv and get a whole new line up of "celebreality" grr :rant::mad: :madspit: :wink:

I like the idea of U2 doing this, but I don't think they should do slowed-down, acoustic versions of songs like Streets. Acoustic versions of some songs are great, like Stay or Stuck (I like the acoustic version of Stuck much, much better than the album version of it, in fact), but I don't like the idea of Streets being done that way. I've never liked the acoustic version of Desire, either. I mean, there's no rule that they have to do all the songs acoustic just because they are in a more intimate setting, right?

I have a feeling they will never do a Storytellers episode, though. I mean, if it was going to happen, wouldn't it have happened already? The band is free to prove me wrong, however. :wink:

VertigoGal said:

hell yes! this would be good. "and here's the toilet paper i made from fanclub proceeds...":wink:

More like here's the masarati I bought with the fanclub proceeds :wink:

U2DMfan said:
-program over-

:laugh: Hey, I'd watch that!! :D

I agree, Streets is one of those songs that's not really meant to be unplugged... they could do the Vertigo Temple Bar Remix? :D

one4u2 said:

More like here's the masarati I bought with the fanclub proceeds :wink:

more like..heres what i do with the money i make with u2 and spend on extravagant things while making people feel bad for spending 300 bucks on tickets to see my band while i ramble on through a whole bunch of different songs about the struggling people and aids in africa. and railing against third world debt and poverty.....LOL!!!

Man, off the top of my head I can come up with about 100 U2 songs that would sound awesome acoustic or just slightly 'plugged' in. Imagine Mysterious Ways, Bad, Stay, Pride, or maybe even older stuff like 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

Still Haven't Found
Stay
Staring at the Sun
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
A Sort of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
The First Time
Please
If God Will Send His Angels
Wake Up Dead Man
One
All I Want is You
Kite
Yahweh
In God's Country
Running to Stand Still
The Wanderer!!!!

I think all of these songs would be interesting to see in some sort of acoustic arrangement. (some are closer already than others/have been done before)...What say you?

Last edited:
NYRangers78 said:

more like..heres what i do with the money i make with u2 and spend on extravagant things while making people feel bad for spending 300 bucks on tickets to see my band while i ramble on through a whole bunch of different songs about the struggling people and aids in africa. and railing against third world debt and poverty.....LOL!!!

:eyebrow:

Imagine if they did a 2 hours Storytellers AND took requests. Now I would be really impressed :yes: Bring out the teleprompter :giggle:

And of course, only Interferences would be invited, right? Where do I sign up??? Lila64, bluecrack addict. Southern California.

Turn it up there captain!

NYRangers78 said:

As far as rambling on about poverty in Africa, I don't think Bono thinks your money will help his cause, but he's counting on the more enlightened people sitting around you to call your congressmen to urge more aid and debt relief.
It's not about your precious cash, it's about your precious action.

So for every person like you, there are probably 4 or 5 who can figure it out for themselves. He's surely already factored in the "meathead" quotient.

Back
Top Bottom