U2 on Saturday Night Live - Repeat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Comedy Central is showing the episode with U2/Val Kilmer this Sunday 12/15 at 6:30PM ET/ 5:30PM CT.

I really liked their performance on this show, Beautiful Day & Elevation.

ramblin rose said:
Comedy Central is showing the episode with U2/Val Kilmer this Sunday 12/15 at 6:30PM ET/ 5:30PM CT.

I really liked their performance on this show, Beautiful Day & Elevation.

The trouble is, CC usually edits the SNL reruns from 90 min down to an hour. I saw the U2 episode before on CC and one of the songs, I think Elevation, gets cut out.

This is one of my favorite performances EVER!!:yes:
Bono like goes kinda crazy at the end, jumping on tables and stuff, I just love it!!! Definitely a must-watch!

I hadn't seen this episode before, so I'm definitely planning on watching it on Sunday.

I know sometimes the musicial guests get involved in the skits-did U2 get involved in any of the skits on this episode?

I find it hard to believe that this appearance on SNL was their first one ever.

Angela

Yeah, the episode is condensed, and Elevation gets cut out ("come on baby...light my fire!"). Beautiful Day is great of course, but Elevation was just smokin!

I can't wait to see it!! I totally forgot the first time and went to sleep early that night! ( of all the nights to be a good girl:ohmy: )

They cut out Elevation? What a bunch of nuts! That was a classic musical performance on SNL- I don't think anyone's ever jumped off the stage and run around in the audience before. And it was pretty funny...and the station is Comedy Central...doesn't that make sense? Maybe NBC will play it in the next couple of weeks since it was a December episode.

ha! comedy central, the limited cable at my house HAS that channel! now if i can only convince my mom to tape it for me, since i didn't see it the first time it was on...

i don't think i've ever seen a whole episode of snl...

no elevation? :( but...but...it's BETTER than beautiful day...

Um...okay.

I turned on Comedy Central at 5:30 pm...and it wasn't on.

Man, first the "A Night With" show doesn't air and now this.

And I would blame it on my T.V. thing screwing up when it tells what's showing (since it's done that before), but everything else I've seen has said this one was gonna air, too, so...

Grrr.

Angela

I don't know what happened out here on the left coast, but it wasn't on when they said it would be on. We got a Luke Perry-hosted episode instead.

Although on the plus side, I got to see the "Sassy!" sketch again. I miss Phil Hartman.

"Sprechen sie .... sassy?"

No, they didn't take part in any of the sketches. And yes, Elevation SMOKED. It was the anniversary of John Lennon's murder, and when our hero walked into the audience singing "all you need is love" during the song, the crowd went absolutely nuts. It's the best SNL musical performance I've ever seen.

Najeena

najeena said:
No, they didn't take part in any of the sketches. And yes, Elevation SMOKED. It was the anniversary of John Lennon's murder, and when our hero walked into the audience singing "all you need is love" during the song, the crowd went absolutely nuts. It's the best SNL musical performance I've ever seen.

Najeena

Dude!

That sounds incredibly cool!

Why the hell would Comedy Central want to cut that performance out?

Angela

najeena said:

Najeena

Actually, Bono didn't go into the crowd singing all you need is love - he sang a bit of Instant Karma ("we all shine on, like the moon, the stars and the sun"). He did sing a few lines from All You Need Is Love at the end of Beautiful Day, though. :)

And yes, Elevation SMOKED - that alone was easily the best SNL musical performance I've seen. I still get a surge of adrenaline every time I listen to Bono take it to another level. :D

I couldn't find the tape to check my facts (and faulty memory), thanks for setting me straight. Seeing that performance turned my seven year old nephew into a real fan!

Najeena

*listening to the mp3 now out of nostalgia...*

I could be totally off, but maybe they cut it because of copyright issues? He just totally busted out with a John Lennon song and tacked on "Come on baby...light my fire." He's well-known for borrowing other people's lyrics, but maybe Comedy Central didn't want to deal with it.

:shrug:

The performance turned my brother into a real fan...he stopped telling me three times a day that they rhymed words in Elevation for the sake of rhyming. He was like, "Oh, they rock and that song is really cool," and I was like, "Duh."

Excellent performance. :yes: Bono was perfect, and I love watching Larry during Elevation. He was loving it!

Schmeg said:
The performance turned my brother into a real fan...he stopped telling me three times a day that they rhymed words in Elevation for the sake of rhyming. He was like, "Oh, they rock and that song is really cool," and I was like, "Duh."

Hehe, well, glad your brother now knows the truth. :).

They have an mp3 of this performance?

What should I look under while downloading it?

Angela

You can find the video of elevation from SNL on Kazaa, just search for u2 elevation SNL and it will show up!

Well, now the episode will supposedly be on Comedy Central 12/25 at 9:00AM ET (8:00 CT).

I'll have to see it to believe it.

Also on the 25th they'll be repeating Bono on Oprah at 4:00PM ET, Legends on VH1 at 7PM ET and the Oprah after show on the 26th at 8:30 AM ET.

Looks like a U2 Christmas on the tube.

ramblin rose said:
Well, now the episode will supposedly be on Comedy Central 12/25 at 9:00AM ET (8:00 CT).

I'll have to see it to believe it.

Also on the 25th they'll be repeating Bono on Oprah at 4:00PM ET, Legends on VH1 at 7PM ET and the Oprah after show on the 26th at 8:30 AM ET.

Looks like a U2 Christmas on the tube.

Yep *is hoping that the SNL show will actually air this time*

Merry Christmas to us U2 fans, huh? :D.

Cask, thanks for sharing that.

*Plans to search for that performance this evening*

Angela

Back
Top Bottom