U2 NOT on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eek.gif

------------------
Ever seen an Alice with a stem like that? Come to think of it, did you ever see an Alice??

Originally posted by Angel:
Why is everyone saying they cancelled the tour???? The tour was never officially on, thus nothing to cancel! Thus far we have been going on rumours. ONLY rumours! Sure some of the rumours have come from very concrete sources (ie. Willie Williams), but they are still rumours nonetheless.
Nothing was ever confirmed or announced by the band or Paul so like Sicy said... obviously they had good reasons to NOT tour, and let's respect that.

As far as I know both Edge and Bono confirmed the tour, at different occations, when approached by fans about the issue, as late as last week. So that the tour was plain rumours and not confirmed from anyone within the band is not completely true.

This is what worries me the most, why they confirmed it just a couple of days ago and suddenly it's all off. I'm afraid something has happened even if this particular rumour about Adam not necessarly has to be true or the reason.

U2 was supposed continue the POPMART tour after the South African dates in Europe during the summer of 1998. Again it was only a rumor and it did not happen.
The band will most likely be back in 2003 sometime.

What a hard lesson in rumors. Since so many of the rumors we heard before ended up being true (some of them at least), we forgot that it is not always the case. Final decisons are not made until an announcement is made. This is sad for those who thought they might get to see U2 this summer.

I hope they enjoy their vacation and do some even greater work on the next album!

Oh well...I feel sorry for the europeans, Australians and all others who were anticipating seeing them.
Its not such a bad thing they aren't touring, but its too bad word had leaked out that they were and people got their hopes up, and now can't see them in the near future.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
lol. Interesting to see how my sentence is being twisted. Hey, I've lived in the third-world. I know what it's like to not get any of the shows you want to see. And there are any fans to be felt sorry for, of course it is the Aussie/South American/Asian/African fans. But my point is that U2 really doesn't owe any of us anything. End of story. It's nice to see them. And I'll take any opportunity I can to do so. But it's a privelege, not a right. At least that's the way I see it. Sorry if that's offensive.

I'm not sure I--or you--understand exactly what your point is. Your response to many discussions about the band is "They will do what they want to do." Well, of course! But how does our lack of influence preclude discussion?

The criticism over the most recent decision is understandable--though I agree with the band's decision--and it is not about whether seeing U2 is a right or a privilege (as it is neither). That has nothing to do with it. As U2 fans we admire and critique the band, and we can debate the merits of their various business and artistic moves.

It wouldn't be so hard if the rumors wouldn't have been that detailed!!! All the information was so precise, the booked locations for example. I even know someone who had an offer for a job at the merchandising. This guy already planned his holidays to make them fit into the tour schedule... So we were all taking it too much for granted I believe. Now there's a lot of disappointement in the U 2 community over here.

bawling.gif

Okay, enough of the mourning!
wink.gif

anna

Originally posted by mug222:
I'm not sure I--or you--understand exactly what your point is.

I understand exactly what I'm saying, thank you very much. I was under the impression that opinions were alright to voice. Pardon me if that was a mistaken assumption.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I was under the impression that opinions were alright to voice.

Huh? And yet your entire point previously indicated that we had no right to voice a critical opinion because seeing U2 was a "privilege"! Unwind your lines of reasoning and you'll have a more effective argument.

I feel as though I'm about to get smacked for that one, so I'll step out of this thread now. Goodnight!

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 03-11-2002).]

it was going to be me and my girlfriend's first time in europe. we were going to start in amsterdam and tour with 'em for the next two weeks. we're bummin'. oh well, european summer music festivals, here we come! still though, U2RULES!

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

Shit shit shit!!!

It was the first time that they wanted to come to croatia and now they canceled the whole tour...

That's my luck
It would be nice to have a new album soon, but I don't think that it will be this year, so that's not soon... and I have the right to be selfish b/c who knows if they will be willing to come to croatia next time when they'll be planing a tour...

shit, fuck, damn...

and I see only people from the US who are saying that this is better - you don't know how it feels...

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Oh well, a heavy load off my shoulders... no, but seriously!! Let's admit, Bono deserves to see at least one of his kids growing up, eh??

They did so much for us! The least we can do is to respect their decision.

I'm a smartass!
biggrin.gif

Was hoping to use it as an excuse for a week in Amsterdam but I saw em 3 times last year, did hope they would visit some places like Australia though. But on seeing them, don't give 2 flying fucks AS LONG AS THE BASTARDS GIMME MY SLANE2 DVD!!!!
wink.gif

Come on, ye recorded it........whats the hold up?!?!?!Grrrrr

Now there's rumors the tour was cancelled because of death threats to Bono, any truth to that? Bono is in much more danger hanging out with the political types than playing music IMO.

If not, I am very sorry for all the European fans. I think we should let them know how disappointed we are, I hope they do find a way to continue the tour through the summer.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

[This message has been edited by Autumn454 (edited 03-12-2002).]

I think u2Utah hit the nail on the head. Why is it such a big deal anyway that they decided not do a tour they never officially announced???

Hey Guys i dont think we should speculate anything yet.......

You know Nothing with U2 is EVER Simple
smile.gif

Ive a feeling theres another twist in the story to come soon...........
wink.gif

Posted by Autumn454Now there's rumors the tour was cancelled because of death threats to Bono, any truth to that? Bono is in much more danger hanging out with the political types than playing music IMO.

These rumors are getting ridiculuous
eek.gif
(though I think you're right about the level of danger being higher in his other work, Autumn)

I don't see why there has to be some big important reason for them to change their minds. Obviously they were planning to tour, then they decided against it.

You could kind of tell from interviews all during the tour that there was this pull between touring while they were playing so well and getting back into the studio to record. To continue the tour probably seemed like a great idea while they were still in "tour mode," but perhaps not so attractive after a couple of months in the studio.

Honestly folks, haven't any of you made big plans when you were revved up about something, only to find after an hour or so on the couch that perhaps you didn't really want to do it after all?
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by u2utah (edited 03-12-2002).]

Originally posted by u2utah:
Honestly folks, haven't any of you made big plans when you were revved up about something, only to find after an hour or so on the couch that perhaps you didn't really want to do it after all?
wink.gif

hehe. You mean like "I am going to go to the gym and do a 45 minute cardio workout..." to "damn this couch is comfy...and I just ate pizza, so I can't workout until that settles...and oh look my favorite show is on tv..." ???
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom